1h Blitz R1 [Complete]

Looks like you’re going to be busy. Have fun and I’ll keep watch on YouTube. I subscribed because I liked it.

1 Like

Here’s @RandomWizard’s entry:

Featuring Reverse Thracia Fog, an unplayable playable gargoyle, and “absolutely no distant roads”, this entry had a lot of interesting ideas to it. Unfortunately, the difficulty was quite high and I had a tough time with it. I was not successful in saving my mom from mind control, but in an alternate reality (savestates) I was, at least. Thanks for the cool submission!

9 Likes

This submission is pretty epic. Nice job @RandomWizard!

6 Likes

Heck. Sorry to hear you had issues with my submission! To be fair, I was able to do exactly zero playtesting in the hour of hacking. Maybe I’ll do a cleaned-up version of it sometime.

Oh, and by the way: The gargoyle intended to be recruitable was somewhere in the bottom right. He starts the map as an enemy with “attack in range” AI, and has a unique name and portrait. The houses do nothing.

3 Likes

@Sme’s spooky skeleton entry below:

This one features excellent units like “Hecktor” and “Jaygen”. I think this is the most relaxing experience yet (as the combat was trivial, lol). It helped me destress - I needed that! It was fun to play and I really enjoyed the music. I was vibin’ too. Thanks for making it.

5 Likes

Here’s @Mycahel’s plot twisted entry:

This one hit me right in the feels! The last 3 minutes were truly something. :sob:

The gameplay itself was pretty easy, but I mean, overpowered main character makes sense for plot reasons. All in all, this was a great entry you produced. I also loved the epic (entirely offscreen) campaign leading up to this decisive battle.

9 Likes

I came here to watch funny hacks not feel things :sob:

5 Likes

Here’s @Zmr’s entry:

I feel like this was way too balanced to have been an hour

Oh, right. Well, this was an excellent and enjoyable chapter.

Haha. Cheating aside, I appreciate the extra effort spent - I had a lot of fun with this one.

Archers are pretty good for once. And terrifying.

5 Likes

As veteran FE players know, balanced gameplay is bad gameplay thus I concede. :pensive:
Next blitz chapter will feature 10 Seths vs 10 Jeralts.
And yes, accidentally Merc effective Bows will return.

4 Likes

And here’s @Pandan’s submission:

This tale of lost cabbages and prejudism against the poor may bring you to tears. Or make you hungry. I was surprised by how enjoyable the combat was. It seemed pretty balanced for an hour! Suspicious :thinking:

A nice submission all around - as to be expected from the maker of vision quest, I guess!

I would have rated it 10/10 if you had renamed vulnerary to cabbage. smh :pensive:

fire emblem the vision quest 2

10 Likes

Ha thanks for giving this a play. Not sure what the heck happened to the portraits. Probably has to do with FE6 portraits missing frames?

Glad you had a good time. The correct title for the edgy sword is “Death’s Scourge”, which I was too lazy to fix.

2 Likes

Here’s @XPGamesNL’s entry:

:flight_departure:
This was pretty fun to try out! Definitely no cake walk to beat - I quite enjoyed the level of difficulty. I’m a sucker for the lava tileset, so I enjoyed the setting. It balanced nicely with the story too, which was… perfection :ok_hand:
It even seems I didn’t want it to end! After completing it, I spent an extra minute messing around with my newly acquired treasure.
:flight_arrival:

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for playing Vesly! It is great to hear that you had a good time playing my little hack! I haven’t had many people playtest a hack of mine before, so this really helps! Thanks for playing all of these, because I love your videos on these hacks!

2 Likes

@MysteriousDancer’s entry:

With a premise of explosions, burglary, and a chase scene, what’s not to like? Our “heroes” (if they can be called that) find themselves under scrutiny by the King’s guard and seek solace in the public building nearby. Somehow the king has no power over this public castle-like building. Is he the king of another land? If so, what’s he doing here? Is he just the puppet remnant of the aristocratic age? I guess we’ll find out in the sequel!

I had a good time playing this hack. The low difficulty was relaxing and the premise was fun. Thanks for making it!

@XPGamesNL & others
Thanks for watching these and being a part of the 1h blitz. It’s encouraging to know that at least a few people are enjoying them. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ay, nice to hear you enjoyed it! The video was fun to watch, and it’s epic that you’ve been making all these vids :smile:

2 Likes

Up next is @Clendo’s entry:

Story? Pah, who needs one. Clendo went with a full-on gameplay approach and managed to churn out three chapters in the hour. There were some fair challenges to overcome in the first two chapters. But then in the third chapter in true 1h blitz spirit, we went on a definitely completely deliberate quest to view all of the vanilla death quotes. I made a few savestates for safety and we managed to scrape by with 3 entire units left (out of a cast of 9). Psshaw, not even a challenge! :sweat_smile:

The last enemy was too powerful for my savestates, though.

Final boss

Some feedback

• Reinforcements in ch. 2 encouraged turtling by slowing down my progress forward
  • Encouraging party splits in ch. 3 would be more fun. ch. 3 was too difficult.
  • story would’ve helped to break up the gameplay and keep it fresher

This was the longest entry yet and I did feel it drag on a bit. I would have enjoyed it more if ch. 3 was left out, honestly. I feel like the first two were acceptably balanced, but everything went out the window in ch. 3. Even so, I still enjoyed the submission, so thank you for it, and I hope people enjoy the run.

4 Likes

Reflecting on length of these, I did specify “a chapter”, though it’s not really a big deal. I don’t want to be controlling about what I’ll accept.

Perhaps if it’s multi-chapter, I won’t start the next chapter if I’m already 15+ mins into the run and just cut it there. I want the guidelines to be fast & fun but I think the entries are more entertaining to play & to watch when they’re just bite-sized. If anyone feels strongly about breaking a guideline, just let me know and I’m sure we can work something out. If someone really wanted me to do a longer entry (for 1h blitz or MAFC), I’d be willing if they’re willing to edit the video down, for example.

2 Likes

Oh oops lmao I just figured it was get as much done as you can in an hour. My bad :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@DonkinDo’s entry:

In the MAFC contest I have this rule:

People laughed. I need an entire minute per enemy?

Well, here there were only 3 enemies. Guess how long I took. 3 mins? 6 mins? 9 mins?

13 minutes. For 3 enemies :sweat_smile:

Fool me once… shame on you, fool me twice… well, I got a couple of shameful game overs while trying this out.

I felt bad for Nivar, no longer able to follow her dreams. A bit of light social commentary there. Anyway, thanks for the submission. You certainly took advantage of my overconfidence, haha. I look forward to seeing what you do next. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Here’s the final entry for round 1 of 1h Blitz. This hacc is by AnonymousSpeed over at SerenesForest.

The writing in this is solid! How much cheating went on, I wonder…
On the other hand, the gameplay lacked polish, true to 1h blitz, so they can’t have cheated that much (on the combat, at least). I did have fun with it, but I would definitely suggest that they try a much smaller map next time!

In a couple days I’ll post the poll(s) to this thread so we can vote on our favourite. If you missed any and want to skim over any of the videos, here’s the full playlist. Thanks for the entries, everyone!

6 Likes