What do you like the most in supports?

Getting to know the characters backstory. It explains more of the characters, there motive and personality.

I think all aspects of supports are important. The way I tend to go about it is present, past, future.

What I mean by that is in the C support, the characters will talk about something happening in the present. For example, maybe its a support between 2 fighters talking about their differing fighting styles or maybe a clumsy archer nearly shoots a pegasus knight out of the sky. This is where you focus on character traits and how the 2 characters interact with each other.

This then serves as a good bridge to the B support, in which the characters talk about the past. I would generally recommend only having 1 character talk about their backstory in a single support to avoid overloading the player. The other character can talk about their backstory in a support with another character. I think it is quite important that the characters have that more light hearted C support first as it feels unnatural for them to just jump straight into their backstory. The exception to this may be if it’s between 2 character who already know each other, but even then I would prefer to wait as the player has not seen how these characters interact before, which is important context before they talk about more serious topics.

The A support then focuses on the future. This is where you focus on pairings or the characters may just talk about what they will do after the war is over. For example, an old general may ask a younger knight to be his successor after judging him suitable for the role from their previous conversations.

Obviously this isn’t a mandatory structure, but present, past, future was often what I fell back on if I was stumped on what to write for a particular support.

3 Likes

I’d say all three but the main thing i liked about supports is how (my only experience is with this one) sacred echoes did supports where it translates the interactions as specific statboosts instead of being linked to affinity

tbh i don’t agree that all supports need to be developing the character. I think its ok to show a different side to a character through their supports, it doesn’t necessarily need to dive deep into their backstory or have them reconcile some part of them. Its good to have some do that for sure but its ok to have some silly or light supports.

2 Likes