What are things that you love and things you hate in an official fire emblem game or hack?

how about a handsome peg knight that constantly have all the other fem peg knights running after him? sounds really funny haha

5 Likes

Well, its likely because of the lack of 3 natural pegasus knights to do it, and the kinshi knight messing it up.

The tellius games also had a bow one.

3 Likes

I personally appreciate it when the game is willing to hand out powerful tools early, and properly managing their use becomes an actual challenge; namely things like FE6’s legendaries (seriously, Durandal technically usable in chapter nine? So good…), VQ with the part one Warp Staff (or was it rescue?), ect. I do appreciate Conquest quite a bit, but did the two S ranks seriously need to only be usable for 27, endgame, and Invasion 3? Blazing Sword as well; the game could have given us Durandal when Eliwood promoted, and instead waited until the final chapter. There are plenty more examples, obviously, but those are the two that came to mind immediately.

An early flier is actually a similar concept. Units obviously don’t have a limited number of uses, but flight utility is a tool more powerful than almost any weapon, and adds even more options to the player’s toolkit if you are willing to trust them with it.

Edit: Oh, gosh, I’m sorry. I didn’t notice this thread was pretty old already.

10 Likes

I generally enjoy a fast paced rom hacks.With simple gameplay, not very big & tedious maps.I also like player phase oriented gameplay rather than busting everything in enemy phase with strong character (Binding Blade is a good example of that)
But it shouldn’t be like Eligor’s Spear where if u leave a character into more than 2 enemies range he’s dead.I feel like It’s going way too much.
Also Good story would be nice but It’s possible to make a good hack without a good story.

2 Likes

Nah it’s fine don’t worry. I love to see it going.

2 Likes

2 new ones.

1. Why do so many people think units should have low con. I mean, sombody who was actively trained to fight, can’t even use a steel weapon without losing 3 or more speed. I don’t get it, and rescue strats don’t justify it to me.

2. Abitrary turn count restrictions. People hated when X-com2 forced it, why is it suddenly acceptable here? Survive maps I understand it, but why on kill boss maps.
    Last Chapter of myrm emblem made this one for me. Why restrict the player to a hard time limit with no explination or justification, just an “i sense power building here”, yeah because the bad guy is there, what about him is so dangerous that we suddenly have a time limit. It bothers me.

I hate when the final chapter is split into two maps with no preparations or even save between them. It’s just cruel.

2 Likes

Con is a bit nuanced from strength in that it refers to body size/weight. The closer a weapon is to its wielder’s weight, the harder he will have to work to maintain control of it when swinging or thrusting it. A very slight person is going to be pulled along in the weapon’s direction more than a heavy person. Having to put in the extra effort to not lose footing would potentially make it harder to hit twice and reduce reaction time for dodging. The weight of tomes most likely refers to the amount of feedback the spell puts on the caster, like the recoil from a firearm, so using a “heavy” tome like Gespenst is probably like firing a rocket launcher-a light person could more easily be pushed to the ground from firing it. Tome “weight” could also refer to casting time, which would explain why build does not reduce the weight penalty for tomes in FE5.

Pegasus Knight’s likely tend to have low con because a Pegasus would most likely have some anatomical similarities to birds, such as hollow bones (anything that would give them as light of a body as possible), making slender women the most suited to ride them in battle without over burdening them. Wyverns, on the other hand, could be thought of as a more heavy-duty mount that can carry soldiers in full armor.

As far as why a dev would give a unit low con, it works as a combination weapon and unit balance. It gives a drawback to always using the strongest weapon available and differentiates units by making some better suited for certain weaponry than others.

4 Likes

I get pegasus knights having weird con even though I don’t quite agree with it. However when your main sword lord has 6 con they literally can’t use anything other than an iron sword due to the -4 speed from steel at minimum. It gets amplified in hacks that naturally make the enemies bulkier and quicker so they can put up some kind of fight since you may actually be incapable of letting certain units use stronger weapons because they now are doubled due to the speed penalty.

I suppose I should have said, "I dislike when a hack gives a bunch of low con units and removes the body ring to make a statbooster that works with the STR MAG split patch, when i think a fair change would just be make the strength ring boost both by +1 or something along those lines.

Side note, I’d love somebody to actually make a strength mage animation/character who’s entire gimmick is he/she can’t actually cast the tomes spell but due to the tome being exceptionally heavy and durable they chose to use it as a bludgeon instead.

1 Like

ah you’re seeing it from the con side of problems, it’s actually the problem of the weapon types being HEAVYY AF like steel lances being heavy AF for no reason

Well let me give a small example from one i’m currently playing, an enemy myrm has 14 speed with 8 con wielding a steel sword, putting him at 12 speed. While my myrm with 14 speed has 6 con. Meaning if i let her use a steel sword, while se won’t get doubled she is still worse off being put at 10 speed.

My lord and one of my archers also have 6 con and 5 con respectively. I can’t let let them any steel weapons because the speed loss is too severe for them.

steel lances are the worst frickin offenders given pegasus knights are lance locked for t1 then on promotion get like a D rank in swords at best
and pegasus knights have 11 con at t3 at most smh…
come to think of it I never understood why dismounting was an option in fe16, which has no con stat, so literally all it does is force your dude to dismount when going up/down stairs. what

1 Like

Things i hate:
FE12’s map design, super high growth rates, and general balance
FE7’s map design and the removal of deployment slots on HHM

Things i love:
Shadow Dragon style reclass
Most of the things Kaga does in Tear Ring Saga, like no weapon weight reduction, tanks, how supports work, etc
Ironmanability in General, and it being forced in Iron Emblem introducing a lot of people to it, and showing them that they can infact do it. Makes a game a lot more interesting and dynamic. Stories where everything always goes completely perfect are boring after all.

3 Likes

That’s one i constantly forget. Granted its more of a community gripe then FE gripe.

I dislike the pedestal that some here put Kaga on. I mean, yes he did make FE, yes he had good ideas. However he also had some god awful ones that hindered various games in one way or another.

Obtuse recruitment conditions, Genealogy’s awful early skill system, healing both costing health and can miss, some maps being way too big for their own good, it goes on.

I respect and appreciate the man, but there are limits.

I suppose I just don’t get it.

6 Likes

I personally never played FE1-5 all that much, so i don’t quite have an opinion on those, but with Tear Ring Saga i found myself going “This is actually a great idea” over and over again at various design decisions. There were a couple of chapters in the lategame that were godawful though, like chapter 26, so my stance on Kaga would be that he either hits hard or misses completely.

4 Likes

I think 2-3 range bows are neat, although those are quite a controversial choice. I also like giving the Swordmaster/Berserker Crit bonuses to snipers since snipers are single-weapon as well.
Finally I love full deployment hacks because I guess it feels more realistic to me for the entire party to be fighting their battles together.

On that tangent about Radiant Dawn - you’ve nailed something for me that always felt off for part 4. Part 4, my least favorite part for plot and everything - it throws politics aside and goes for the classic “u gud tey bad” after THREE parts expressing over and over that aside from a few bad apples almost everything boils down to people’s point of view and that rarely is the ‘enemy’ evil. A really great evolvement over the simplicity of morals that path of radiance had.

But there was something else. There was another key part of part 4 that bugged me and I finally realized what it was. All of a sudden, aside from Micaiah serving as lore drop mcgee, Ike became the absolute focus of it all. Like what? You’re telling me it ain’t the person infused with a goddess that has to land the final hit but the gym bro? You’re telling me it ain’t the daughter-like-figure that convinces Sephiran to turn sides but the tough guy talk from the roid rat?

Endgame Part 2 shoulda been the end all of Ike’s story and the game would have been amazing if they continued the split part feature into the tower - but with a twist. Instead of plot device Micaiah it would be the herons leading the groups. Elincia with one group defending the tower - probably Reyson, as he could perhaps use a more aggressive gladr to boost the troops and hold the line. Then rafael and leanne, the more pure herons, using gladr to show the path through the maze without everyone going mad. Micaiah leads left group, Ike leads right group, wallah. Elincia’s group ends with fighting the dragons off with Deginisea or however you spell it being their big bad. Ike’s big bad would be the Black Knight ofc. Then finally you got Sephiran for Micaiah’s group. So many arcs served so simply. The Laguz loyal Queen fighting against the end all Laguz. Ike finally serving his vengeance. Micaiah, the great x1000 granddaughter showing gramps how it’s done.

It also boggles my mind now thinking of how they spent so much time showing herons being the opposite of madness and yet the tower of literal madness they become background characters. And it’s dudebro who saves the day. Wack.

Holy hell that was a lot but yeah, Radiant Dawn was a waste of potential.

9 Likes

wait till you hear about… 1-2 range bows

2 Likes

Honestly its always bothered me that bows don’t have arrow counts as a thing, or even quivers. I mean, it could actually work as a 1-range weapon since if someone gets that close they can just ram an arrow through their adversaries eye. I mean bows are useless without arrows meanwhile most arrows can be used with any bow.

Plus, hear me out now, status arrows. Need to silence a pesky mage, throat piercer arrows, need to sleep a dangerous foe, knock-out arrows, need some magic damage in a pinch but don’t have a mage, enchanted arrows. I mean even Lunar Arrows for DEF piercing could be a thing.

4 Likes

Seems like it’d be weird to implement both bow durability and arrow counts. This would of course be more viable in a newer entry, since we haven’t figured out how to really mess with GBAFE inventories (having to sacrifice at least one slot to arrows sounds like… “fun.”)
I think status arrows is a cool idea! But it would have to be bound to weapon rank, and bows below a certain rank wouldn’t be able to handle certain status arrows. Kinda like Monster Hunter. lol