Unit Class Diversity

First, as JiroPaiPai, FuriousHaunter, and AthenaBaer said - you don’t strictly need different actual classes - because character stats can fit them into different archetypes, because you’re having a character not just the game piece that is the unit, and because you might want a unit to be able to perform a similar role to another.

Second, if you’re seeking to actually correct the problem, after you have a few characters; instead pick classes and stat archetypes for units before thinking about them as the rest of your characters. Let me take FE7 as an example: Eliwood, Lowen, Rebecca, Dorcas, and Bartre are all units that don’t have excellent defenses out of the gate - so they are naturally complemented by Hector and Oswin both being extremely heavy units.

This approach might not be what you want! You might, because you think it’s neat or because it sounds fun, to have multiple units that are roughly interchangeable – and that’s fine too, because a big part of it is how you end up building the maps that those units go through.

Me, personally, I write out a list of what classes I have used so far and what archetypes those fulfill; and make sure to vary the weapon types and make sure the party has a good spread of stat profiles.

For example, if I have an Anima-wielding Lord with notably high Skill accompanied by a high-HP and Strength Axe cavalry; I’m going to want to have a Lance or Bow user to cover the “middle” ground, and a high Speed unit to complement how the first two beat Armors already so that weakness is not an issue.

A second example

For story reasons, I have:
Bow Lord, rounded stats but defensively lopsided to Resistance.
Cleric with high Magic.
A second Archer with high Strength and comparatively high Defense.
A thief, archetypical with middling strength high speed.

These really want to be complemented with a unit that has high HP for letting the Cleric’s larger heals be more useful, a source of magic damage, and a unit with high speed to dedicate to combat unlike the thief’s “designated stealer” role. I ended up deciding on a sword+axe armor with huge strength -

Because this is a second party to the first example’s; so that’s somewhat covered: the bow unit ended up with both skill and speed, and complemented by a sword flier with even higher speed - which was rounded out by a second low-speed unit (trainee, promoting to bow+lance armor or archer) and a high-HP but rather all-around Mercenary.

So when those twelve meet up, you end up with units that overlap (as both armies have ‘tanks’) and units that don’t (‘speed’ vs ‘strength’ bow units). There’s more units I could talk about, but that’s the core of it -

Making sure that units have different sub-genre purposes if they are the same class, but are able to sort-of pinch hit for the main purpose that you want a unit of that class (to avoid confusion) “feels” best to me in the vague designer sense I possess, that this gives the most agency to the player’s decisions - You have the ability to deploy the units you like or whose playstyles you like or some combination thereof, and the player can choose to use a heavily lopsided army, one with ‘an answer’ for each weakness a different unit possesses, or an army of all-around units - I think the last one is bad/bland/uninteresting, but that’s not really for here.

The reason I say this is because critically a given character in this context is many things, but a vehicle for a player to make choices is the ‘largest’ one. They can play the game one way or another, and the accessibility of being able to do as they desire is dependent on having units of multiple kinds, but kinds are not actually classes.

And the reverse is true, too, you can make multiple classes that are the same kind of unit. I kept making a ‘generic offense’ profile -

In this version, archer, mage, mercenary, cavalry - but despite the hugely different classes, it was still a problem: they played too similar, the bases preventing their growths from mattering until promotion.

6 Likes

Going in, I get an idea of:

• What do I want the player’s party to look like by the start of the second chapter?
  • What characters does the plot mandate to join? When, and in what classes?

Going off that, I build up, gradually giving the player a full suite of options and then adding redundancy down the track. It’s inevitable that there will be gaps in the cast you don’t know until you play through yourself; in both DoW and Do5 I’ve had to go back and make late additions to the earlygame cast just because they needed a guy in such and such a niche.

Last and least important priority is that I like to give each of the core classes 2-3 representatives, but really, gameplay niche (chiefly weapon type and movement type) is the more important part.

5 Likes

I tend to focus first and foremost on characters being characters - I’m personally not into FE for just battlefield simulations with generic units and the like even if the gameplay is great. I’d like for the story to be a focus, so that’s where my design philosophy goes first. FuriousHaunter and 2WB covered this very well already.

Depending on where the story is at and what character could be showing up will affect things quite a bit - is it a spot where a major character is set to appear in the story? If yes, then whatever the character’s proficiencies and aptitudes are go with them, even if it might not fill a “desired” niche. If it’s more of a minor character, then they’re probably more likely there to fill out the roster with things that you feel like you need anyway, so long as it would make narrative sense for them to be there - and, even if you’re doing this, the character should still feel like a character at their core, in my opinion.

I would build up your roster by “level” of importance and evaluate at each step with what kind of roles, weapons, and such you already have so that you can see what you feel is missing - start with your main and major characters, then start adding in supporting characters, and then, lastly, the more “filler” or minor characters, using them to “plug gaps and holes” if you really need to. Though, again, that’s not to say to make them blank slates with no personalities or anything - what’s important is to get the idea on paper and then you can expand it down the line.

(For example, I looked at a roster and realized that there was only one unit that filled the “Thief” role and that I could use some extras in the event the unit was defeated and the player did not have any others. I brainstormed what an interesting build for a thief could be that wasn’t of the traditional “Swords/Daggers” variety and came up with two and then slowly built up their backstories to make them work within the context of the story and where they would make sense to slot in, especially around the other unit recruitments that I had planned.)

7 Likes

Someone hasn’t played Myrm Emblem mayhaps.

Hi! I made a document just for this purpose. I combined all three lists of playable units from FE6, FE7 and FE8, in the order that they are recruited:

4 Likes

I’ll do one too.

Fire Emblem 1:
Lord
Paladin
Cavalier
Cavalier
Knight
Archer
Pegasus Knight
Curate
Mercenary
Fighter
Fighter
Fighter
Pirate
Hunter
Curate
Thief
Mercenary
Cavalier
Mage
Cavalier
Cavalier
Cavalier
Horseman
Horseman
Bishop
Thief
Manakete
Mercenary
Mercenary
Sniper
Curate
Wyvern Knight
Mage
Ballistician
Paladin
Bishop
Archer
Knight
Knight
Ballistician
Hero
Pegasus Knight
Pegasus Knight
Hero
Paladin
Pegasus Knight
Manakete
General
Curate
Bishop

2 Likes

I would generally try to give the player at least one of every class, and if i have multiple units of the same class, to make them stand out from another due to say, stats, skills, level, availability, personality, supports, looks, etc.

Also try to generally make the unit feel useful immediately upon joining. Maybe your earlygame myrm doesn’t look that good at first glance, but she can immediately do really well against axe fighters when your other units kinda have trouble with it, or are busy with other things, so she stands out as being useful in spite of everything, and inspires the player to maybe give her a try after her join map.

The order of when what class appears tends to not be that important imo. Just see where it fits story wise, and where it fits gameplay wise. Good example: In FE6 you get the Valkyrie Cecilia in a desert map where she can barely even move, and the Desert Sniper Igrene a few chapters later, on an open plains map. You could’ve easily swapped the two and it would’ve made both of them feel instantly more useful.

Some units also don’t really need unpromoted counterparts as recruitables. Maybe you only get a Berserker, but not any pirates or brigands. The berserker might even not be THAT good, but he’ll should feel more unique than if they were around, and indirectly even better due to not as many units being able to fill the role of a berserker.

Which would lead me to the last part: Think of Role fulfillment.
Lets say you notice your earlygame units severely lack a tank. Does that mean you NEED to add an armor knight? You could. but not necessarily. You could just as well give the player a fighter with good defence and bad spd or something like that. The bulky fighter and armor knight would essentially fulfill the same role gameplay wise, despite being 2 totally different classes, which means you actually have a lot of flexibility when it comes to where you put classes.
Infact, why not go as far as having a mountain of a man who wants to be a swordmaster despite being a slow giant? He could even be your earlygame tank, and maybe you get a more traditional swordmaster later on. Don’t worry so much about what class your unit is, and moreso about what role the unit fulfills in your army. Like Healer, Jagen, Mobile, physical/magical Damage dealer, tank, High weapon rank, etc.

So just place some units around, see how everything plays, and adjust as you develop, but don’t be scared to go for unconventional unit builds, or for example having 4 fighters and just 1 cavalier or something like that, as long as you can make them feel unique.

5 Likes