To 20/20 or not to 20/20, that is the question

20/20 for everyone, but if there is no arena than 20/20 everyone and 10/20 for healers

My brain kinda dumped mov and additional exp to ranks you already have into stats
I donā€™t remember feeling that much urgency for getting ranks in FE7 in particular tbh. Raising ranks in FE7 is pretty quick relatively speaking so itā€™s not the worst thing ever but even if axes are good I wasnā€™t exactly dying in need for that E axe rank. Stuff like staves on the mages is nice as always though.
also as I said, I forgot

The amount of finite exp is a big factor too yeah, especially in really tight FE7/FE7 hack situations. Youā€™re basically pouring exp into a promoted character after a certain point if the level curve isnā€™t keeping up with the party, so just saying ā€œEhā€ and bumping up to hero/general/paladin so that precious rogue and boss exp can feed your ests and stranglers is some real meta gaming

Thanks again for all the thoughts and perspectives

I donā€™t really remember what I used to do but now that Iā€™ve completed the games I feel comfortable enough to promo instantly now that I know how enemies scale throughout the whole game.

There are 20 types of people:

Those who understand ternary
Those who use Amelia & Nino
Those who make hack
Those who like Roy
Those who think this is stupid
And those that completely waste their potential by promoting early

2 Likes

I just go 20/20

ALWAYS, no exceptions.

I usually promote before hitting lvl 15. I donā€™t think those 5 extra lvl ups are being wasted when I do this because in most playthroughs not a single unit reaches full potential. Most of the time I canā€™t get my units to reach lvl 20 promoted even if I promote early at lvl 10. So, for me waiting until lvl 20 just feels like a drag and unnecesary.

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve ever waited for level 20 to promote someone outside of literally not having the promo item necessary to promote them earlier. Otherwise, I always promote early, because promo gains + new weapon type + extra move generally outweigh the potential to get more stats. Green numbers can be nice but usually arenā€™t necessary, nor do they matter enough to spend time on getting a unit up to level 20 (and god knows nobody is ever hitting 20/20, unless I really wanna give that one unit uber favoritism).

Depends on a combination of the EXP formula, length of the game and how high promo gains are relative to growth rates. I usually promote around 12-15 in most games, or 10 in games like FE6 with massive promotion gains. Youā€™re never getting to level 20 promoted in most games, especially if you got to level 20 unpromoted, so the real question is whether the stats you get through the generally faster unpromoted level ups are higher than the immediate gains and slower promoted level ups.

The real psychos are the people who use a promotion item when their unit is like 10 exp away from leveling up