The Skill System and You: Maximizing Your Usage of FE8's Most Prolific Bundle of Wizardry

Item effects, such as staff or vulneary functionality, are hardcoded to work with their specific items. With IER, you can overcome that restriction, and add varying effects to different Items. You can make a sword that can heal you with 1 use, like the Binding Blade, or a lance that’s also a staff. Or a healing Item that has a custom healing value. Just install it, and you can freely change the use effect for different items without breaking the ROM

I have downloaded this as a patch for FeBuilder recently and it broke 41 of my character palletes. Is there an easy fix to this?

This is the first I’ve heard about something like this.

I recommend asking in the FEBuilder topic or FEBuilder_help discord channel in the FEU discord server and sending a report7z

There’s Short Shield, which reduces damage from melee attacks and Tower Shield, which reduces damage from ranged attacks. Then there’s Tower Shield+, which negates ranged attacks. Where’s Short Shield+ to negate melee attacks? That’s something Marth can actually do in FE1.

Ironically and unironically make it yourself. The skills that come with the skill system™️ are a practical way to learn the basics of asm. Referencing the code of a skill that does close to what you want it kind of the point. I suggest the asm guide Teq made forever ago(its still relevant) and referecing available existing code until you get used to makings asm. And then when you are… keep doing that actually its super helpful. After skills you can move on to whatever really the limit is your creativity and proficiency in asm. To answer your question though short shield+ already exists relatively speaking. Now if you want the real fe1 Falchion you need to know how to check if the enemy is using a dragon stone or breath attack first.

im kinda new to the whole romhacking thing but since I downloaded this skill patch the characters with summon skill got bugged and cannot summon but it worked before and idk what to do to fix this, can I get some help how to fix this?

1 Like

Hi. Welcome!

Sometimes when installing SkillSystems, a few vanilla settings get messed up. You should go to Advanced Editors and search Summon Ability. In this menu, you can set which unit summons which other unit.

If a character is not on this list, they will not be able to summon correctly. You have to assign a summon to each unit that can possibly have access to the summon skill.

Each phantom is it’s own unit with slightly different growths. That’s why Knoll’s and Ewan’s phantoms can vary between each other in stat. However, there’s no issue if you assign the same phantom to multiple summoners.

well I think I should have wrote down what I already tried to do cause thats what I tried yet it still doesn’t work, any other ideas?

PS: idk if summon is bugged on all characters I made a shaman character and summon worked with it and now it doesn’t.

Please send a report7z to this thread.