The difference between F2U and F2E

I need to get a better understanding between F2U and F2E. So here’s what I know of the basics.

F2U is basically a portrait that you can use or borrow as long as you credit the creator. It is like a shortcut for those who don’t want to invest toward making one with actual effort.

F2E is technically a portrait you can’t use and requires permission from the creator him/herself. But you can only make changes to it as your own version. Think of it as a production line of a product and then retrofit it in a certain way. This results in creating your own portrait with the baseline of the existing portrait.

I don’t know if I am saying this right or not. But I hope someone who knows more about F2U and F2E might give a proper explanation of it.

1 Like

All assets not from the vanilla games must be credited to their creators, obviously.

F2U means “free to use” – you are allowed to use it, and you are allowed to recolor it, but you are not allowed to edit it beyond recoloring, or use it in splicing or whatever, without direct permission. Everything in the Graphics Repo is at minimum F2U.

F2E means “free to edit” – you are allowed to use it, edit it, splice it, etc. in any way so long as you credit its creators (you must still credit the original creator after editing!). It is strictly broader than F2U, unless specified otherwise by the artist. Specifically animations in the Repo are F2E by default, other Repo assets can only be assumed F2U unless stated as F2E.

You can read more in detail here: Regarding graphics assets - #4 by HyperGammaSpaces

12 Likes