The Best Est?

Are you talking about Sara? She does fit all the criteria I would say but the big issue probably comes in just how frail she is and the fact she has extremely poor weapon ranks.

Her growths without scrolls though are absolutely busted.

Who’s the BestEst?

Why, Heropon Riki, of course!

6 Likes

No mention of Sara, really?

Imo she’s the best Est, and the only one that works, thanks to her amazing skill kit coupled with super high growth.

Ests should all be like her

1 Like

Ngl Nino is extra bad because lategame isnt even remotely kind to her as the one game with combat benchmarks (ie only endgame) every enemies straight up has capped Res basically.

Every other trained mage/pent could still be on physic or even fortify duty but not Nino…

I think you’re overstating things because lategame still has plenty of low Res units such as Wyverns and Armors. It’s true that FE7 has inflated Res stats on just about every boss. However, the last time I played, most of my endgame team was magic users, and it went fine. You can actually pretty much trivialize most of the Morph bosses because they charge forward even if they can’t attack anything. Then you can just hit them with attacks they can’t counter until they go down.

1 Like

Does Cyril count? I kind of feel like he does. Just an all-round fun unit to use thanks to his combat arts and boons even if his bases are mediocre thanks to Commoner growths.

1 Like

I don’t think he really counts. Sure he has aptitude and all but I feel like he is more like Donnel or Mozu, in silver snow I can see what you mean but as for the other routes he comes rather early actually. The only way your going to miss out on him for a while in the other two routes he is in is underleveling byleth or just not getting him.

Since the topic said we can name some worst Est ,even in ROMhacks.so…
Sai from TLP, hands down ,blame Howard and Gary.

dishonorable mention Emily from the Four Kings
Underleveled Armor in late game anti turtling maps… :man_facepalming:

For BEst it’s probably Sara from FE5. Crazy growths (even crazier if you use scrolls), easily caps MAG/SKL/SPD/LCK at 20/20/20/20, access to the best weapon type in the game, the best promotion in the game, Miracle, Wrath, Paragon, Adept. Doesn’t need babying because staffspam and Paragon. Only weakness is being squishy, but easily capping SPD/LCK patches that up, and when it doesn’t (and you expose her to enemies) Miracle does. Being basically required for Ch24x is a plus, since it forces you to invest in the Est.

Does Zeiss count? He comes late and underlevelled although his growths aren’t really that high. But he’s in a good class and with HM bonuses has some stupid bases for his level.

1 Like

It’s Sun from TRS

First, we need to define Est.

1. Attractive character.
  2. appear late in the game.
  3. un-promoted.
  4. low growth rate.
  5. competing class must already be in the party.

If all of these can be met, then it is Est.
I think this will make the problem more clear.

However, there is a fatal problem with this.
That is, any unit that meets these conditions is useless.
The best Est is useless as long as it is the best.
In other words, an Est candidate that can be active is not the best Est.
I will name this strange paradox the Best Est paradox.

Now, there is one person who fits this criteria in the Est candidate.
This is Hugh from FE6.

1. Attractive character.

His family has a lot to do with the FE6 and FE7.
His grandmother also appears in FE6, and his father, Kanas, appears in FE7.

It is also important that both appear as playable units.
The main character, Roy, has Eliwood playable, but his grandfather is not playable.

1. appear late in the game.

He joins in ch16.
Considering that FE6 only goes up to ch24, he is a character that joins late in the game.

1. un-promoted.

He is Mage.
This condition is met.

1. low growth rate.

Hugh HP:75% Str:30% Skill:30% Spd:45% Def:20% Res:15% Luck:25%

Of course, his growth rate is hopeless except for his HP.
In addition, when he joins the party, he is required to pay 10000G, and if you stingy money, his status will be weakened.

1. competing class must already be in the party.

This condition is also met.
In our party, we have the 魔王(maou / Demon King) Lilina.
(She is called the Demon King by some players because she uses her overwhelming magical power to crush enemies.)
Lilina HP:45% Str:75% Skill:20% Spd:35% Def:10% Res:35% Luck:50%

And then there is Lugh, who is blessed with a growth rate.
Lugh HP:50% Str:40% Skill:50% Spd:50% Def:15% Res:30% Luck:35%

Another unit that uses magic is the Clarine.
Clarine HP:40% Str:30% Skill:40% Spd:50% Def:10% Res:40% Luck:65%

Therefore, I think we can say that Hugh is candidate for Best Est.

If you are looking for a female unit that is slow to appear but strong when properly trained, that would be a different unit.

5 Likes

People talking about Sophia being the Est of FE6, when it was Hugh all along. Also…

True, very true. At least in terms of character.

1 Like

Used Emily from Fire Emblem: The Four Kings. An Armor Knight that is a Joke Unit which can be very useful if given the effort of leveling her up and promoting into something really unexpected and Useful into the Late and Endgame. Best Unit that I ever raised.

In my time of playing fe6 and using Hugh I never found him outright bad, just very mediocre.
He can work fairly well as a filler unit though, I guess the best way to explain him would be Sage Cecilia but without the mount or ranks she has, they join around the same time as well.

Sophia is another Est candidate, but she joins 2 chapters before Hugh.
(If you include gaiden, it will be 3 chapters before.)
Since Hugh will be joining later, I believe he will meet the requirements for Est more.

Sophia is a unit that uses Dark magic, so we need to compare her to Ray.
Ray appears 2 chapters before Sophia.
(If you include gaiden, it also will be 3 chapters before.)

Sophia’s growth rate is slightly higher than Ray’s, but her Spd is not as high as Ray’s, making her one of the most useless units.
Both Sophia and Ray don’t have much Luck growth, so FE6 units that use Dark magic are generally unfair.

2 Likes

guy comes with like, twice as much str as juno, i don’t think he counts tbh

(no clue how he does in NM)

That should be “under-leveled and not promoted “&”somewhat good growth “
apparently hugh is not that case

Well , i think are just joking around.please just state that clearly, otherwise people may take that seriously, thank you.

The character archetype may be different among Japanese fans, but when English-speaking fans refer to an “Est”-type character in Fire Emblem, it refers to a character who joins late in the game and has very weak starting stats, but high growth rates and the potential to become strong with training. The gender or appearance of such a character is not very important by this definition. So, I think this is what the thread is asking about.

Specifically, the thread is asking “Which character is the strongest or most useful out of the ones who fit this description”, I think.

For my own assessment, this is… a little hard for me to measure? I think the ones who use Staves inherently have a bit of an advantage because they don’t rely on combat performance to contribute or to gain EXP. So, characters like Coirpre, Charlot, or Sara. Ewan also sort of has an advantage in that Sacred Stones is very amenable to training up weak characters at any point in the game in general, assuming this is asking for an “everything on the table” assessment.
And, actually, Est isn’t terrible in FE1 or either version of FE2, thanks to being in a great class, having solid enough speed in a system with a really easy follow-up threshold, and a stellar promotion in all three games. I think her bases, while below-par for her recruitment time in all three games, are actually not as unusably-bad as later Ests’ are, so there’s that, too. Like, she’s still weak and fragile, but she does have the stats to contribute in some ways.

1 Like

I’ve never thought of Est as having a high growth rate, but if we’re going by that definition, then Nino from FE7 would be the character in question.
I think it would be beneficial to clarify the definition first, so that we can avoid such misunderstandings.

2 Likes