[SRPGS] Gales of Nayeli (Free Demo Available)

Hello everyone!

Over the past couple of years, I’ve been working on Gales of Nayeli and got most of the game in a playable state. In the past year, we’ve expanded the team quite a bit and we have been working pretty hard on making the game a polished package.

We just released a Free demo which contains 4 playable chapters (3 main story and 1 optional).

Speaking of which. here are some screenshots :

Screenshots

Here are some of the core features to Gales of Nayeli :

• Individualized class system : Every playable unit joins in a unique class and has two promotions exclusive to them. This means that both promotions will be relevant and viable options for you to choose from, tailor made to each unique’s specific skills and niches.

• Interactive Relationships : Character relationships are strongly intertwined with the plot and will progress in tandem with the story. Their impact will also have tangible effects: Characters will earn extra promotion choices, or give each other gifts that will have gameplay benefits when held.

• Avatar System : Pick one of 4 starting classes, which adds replay value and adds some of your personality to your gameplay. They will play a supporting role in the story. This is still very much Nayeli’s story to tell.

• Unit Customization : From held items to skill scrolls, no two playthroughs will be the same. We picked a lot of inspiration from FE4’s held items, personal weapons and unique skill to pump some extra gameplay flair into the playable cast.

• Side Missions : Some Side Missions will require you to do specific side objectives during certain chapters to gain access to them. These will often have a smaller playable cast to focus on side characters.

• Gameplay Modifiers : Customize your experience with Gameplay Modifiers that drastically alter how the game feels. Rising Tides increases enemy stats every handful of turn, incentivizing faster play, 0% growths is a classic, etc.

And here’s a rapid fire list of smaller details that I find noteworthy :

• Class Portraits : Everyone gets a new portrait when promoting or changing class.
  • No weapon triangle : The difference between weapon types comes from the weapon variety within that type.
  • Personal Skills : Everyone joins with at least one personal skill and will learn more (or their previous skills will improve) upon leveling up.
  • Rogue Tools : Some items are exclusive to Rogue type classes. These are mainly centered around giving extra tools to reach side objectives (Smoke Bombs teleport the user within 3 tiles) while others will allow them to fight when caught unaware (Stim Packs grant temporary buffs in combat, but unit takes recoil after battle).
  • Breaking the SRPG Studio Mold : We’re reworking almost every aspect of SRPG Studio’s default template to make this game as great as it can be and shed a lot of the stigma that the engine has. There are still a lot of baseline assets in the screenshots that will be replaced by the game’s release.

This project is still very much in development and we’re updated to a 2024 release, so we’re very much listening to feedback as we progress!

If you liked what you’ve seen so far, consider supporting the project on various platforms. It really helps out a ton!

Steam : Wishlist the game to be notified when it comes out
Twitter : We are consistently posting progress updates
BlueSky : We’re also on BlueSky!

Thanks for your time! I hope you’re looking forward to future developments!

40 Likes

This looks pretty cool, I’ll definitely be following along with this

3 Likes

I am doing an animation or two for this spiffy project, so check it out :sunglasses:

9 Likes

:eyes:
You have my attention

6 Likes

this looks very promising especially with the customization aspect of it can’t wait to sink my teeth into this one

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the kind words everybody! It’s been really cool to hear all of the feedback so far.

I’m glad! Creating new items, skill scrolls and promotion classes and experimenting with different combination has been a highlight both for myself as a dev, but for internal playtesters as well.

I do think the choices you’ll be able to make around building your team will be pretty meaty and substantial.

Looking forward to share some more details soon,
Thanks again!

2 Likes

I’ll use this bump to share that the Kickstarter Campaign is now live!
Hop over there to hear the new VA announcements and get some more info on the game!

I’ll also take this opportunity to share a few battle animations!
Kitoko-Bow
Kitoko-Fang
Leila-Sword
Quidel-AxeRange

Thanks for giving it a look!

13 Likes

Bumping with a little snippet of some of the latest animations we’ve worked on!
What do you think?

Cavaliers
Keri-Daggers

9 Likes

Question what are the classes in this game of yours?

Every character has their own unique set of classes (one base class and two master classes at least).

For example, Keri is the party’s first thieving unit who joins as a Blade. She can promote to either Assassin (which gives her better combat potential) or Moonlighter (which gives her more mobility options)

KeriPromotions-1

We have been holding a few polls on twitter to determine which Master Classes to showcase during the campaign.

Here are the two first waves of showcased Master classes :

Wave 1 :
Sophie - Trickster > Wild Mage
Curtis - Archer > Caped Corvus
Laetitia - Swashbuckler > Gunslinger
Leila - Princess > Baroness

Wave 2
Kitoko - Naga > Sun Oracle
Tomoe - Fist Fighter > Warrior Monk
Coco - Herbalist > Grovetender
Flynn - Sellsword > Spellblade

Wave 3 is still under way, but these are the classes that were showcased so far
Sharif - Militia > Dune Knight
Samira - Dancer > Blade Dancer

Thanks for asking!

9 Likes

Will there be a class that is berserker like or similar to a berserker? Nomad Troopers too will there be a class similar to that class?
Also thank you for the answer, this game looks promising so I’ll definitely play it when it comes out. Good luck!

Thank you!

There are 4 infantry/armored axe users who can promote into something Berserker-like (and one of those is literally a Berserker)

And there are some playable mounted archers (including the protagonist, Nayeli). These are mostly promoted classes, though!

Thanks again for the kind words! We look forward to bringing something playable as soon as possible!

2 Likes

Nice
Final question: Will there be other modes as well like hard mode, permadeath, casual, 0% and 100% growths, etc?

1 Like

At the moment, the game has 3 planned difficulty modes :

• Normal : The intended first playthrough experience.
  • Veteran : Enemies have more aggressive formations, weaponry, skills and stats.
  • Madman : 0% Growth Veteran Mode

Permadeath is interwoven with the game’s narrative regardless of difficulty. Some chapters have Permadeath enabled for story reasons (you will be told in advance when that happens).
This allows to raise the stakes for intense story moments while also giving a more reasonable scope for the story to adapt to the outcome of these maps.

2 Likes

I like the sound of that - am I right to assume that means if say unit A dies in chapter 3 the story may change down the road? And if they die instead in chapter 5 the story will still change but in a different way because they died at a different time?

1 Like

Yep! If in your example Permadeath is enabled on Chapter 3 and 5, the characters would react in different ways depending on what happens in each chapter.

Of course, this could spread open the game into innumerable branches, so we’re limiting Permadeath chapters to big story moments, but when it does happen, we strongly encourage players to play through mistakes and see what happens. Some character growth will only happen in some of these branches.

2 Likes

This is such a brilliant idea, it’s simple on paper but no doubt extraordinarily difficult to execute! This jumped from ‘This is clearly going to be good’ to ‘blast that download button the second it is released!’ Haha. Keep up the good work!!

2 Likes

You’re too kind!
It’s always much appreciated to see some of my wilder ideas get some support!

And I’m using this opportunity to share that this is the final day to support Gales of Nayeli on Kickstarter! We’re pushing through to our second stretch goal at the moment, which will add some more post-game challenge maps!

That said, seeing the outpour of support has warmed my tiny heart and fueled the flames in my belly. We’re more motivated than ever to make GoN the best game it can possibly be.

Thank you everyone!

1 Like

Hello hello! It has been a while since I last posted here, but we recently posted a Free Public Demo on Steam which you might enjoy!

Please don’t hesitate to share your feedback so we can adapt the game. We’ve got a ton of QoL features lined up from the feedback we’ve already gotten, too.

4 Likes

Hello hello!

We updated the original post because we have released a new Free Demo, which includes 4 fully playable chapters!

We have a Discord Server where you can share feedback and discuss the game with a growing and passionate group of people!

Here are a few screenshots to show some of the newer developments!

Screenshots

8 Likes