Shouzou Kaga Announces SRPG Studio Indie Game

:B

Hmm, so the original class is a hawk rider or something? I’m not that good at animation, but if there’s already something to base it on I’m probably fine <.< (I promise nothing/someone will probably end up doing something nicer)

we can collaborate :open_mouth:

1 Like

DRAGONS AHAHA.

I mean.

Yes.

3 Likes

I don’t think you’re rude, at least…

Are you lumping the Tellius games in with Awakening!?!??!

Also, @Arch just said on Serenes:

“inb4 he calls up Inafune and figures out how kickstarter works. Even if
he still intends to release it as freeware, Kaga could probably get
enough funding to make the game and pay his small staff.”

I wonder what would happen if Kaga actually did try Kickstarter. Would anyone fund it? (SRPGs -are- a niche, after all, and very few people outside Japan know who Kaga is, and… can Japanese residents even fund Kickstarters? There’s no Japanese option on the Kickstarter website.) One side of me is almost surprised that he hasn’t tried it yet, considering what Inafune did, but he likely doesn’t know how Kickstarter works, as @Arch said, and that might not be what he’d want to aim for.

Ah, looks like Kaga founds an artsy peep and no longer needs artists ~(‘v’ )~

I can even send you its installation program if you need, which I guess will make its author unhappy, haha. :stuck_out_tongue: However, if I were you, I wouldn’t refuse Kaga’s “kind” offer.

Don’t get me wrong; I loved the Tellius games, but they were ever-so-flawed. FE10 has some brilliant, grand-scale map design (though the plot is one of the most ham-fisted, forced sequels I have ever played). FE9 had some silly interface choices (can’t see dmg/hit/crit in the battle sequence whyyyy?), and other small things that damper the experience. It needed more fine-tuning. An FE9 remake, if that ever came to pass, would definitely be in contention for “best in the modern series.”

And yes, I think Kaga could produce a better game than what we got from the Tellius era. But definitely this’ll be better than the DS era. No question (unless FE14’s Nohr route ends up being really legit, but still overall it’s been kinda baaaad so far).

@L95
As Arch said that’s right since he knows the labor of making pixel arts from zero.

Oh I don’t know the context, but do you get angry?
I felt from this sentence that you got angry…or just my English reading is bad.

I’m not angry at all.

(though I am slightly confused by the responses I’m getting I was mainly talking about this: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53572&p=3752009 he doesn’t need any assistance anymore)

I see!
I wonder if that ‘staff’ is about us.

@MisakaMikoto Yeah, I don’t think I’ll be refusing that, but I do want to get the ball rolling as soon as possible haha

@klono that sounds good.

Hopefully, he meant us as contributors too… hahaha

@MisakaMikoto
I have just finished my work today…9 am to 3 am lol

@Arch
I think you are right. I love Tellius games, too.

We are the chosen ones…

I think it could work. The whole “kickstarted spiritual reboot” thing is in vogue, and, for all its flaws, Awakening and the representation of Smash have made more people aware of the Fire Emblem brand. So basically, it’s trying to sell FE’s audience on the original creator coming back to make a better game. Very doable from a public relations perspective. It all depends on how much money Kaga would need, really.

For reference, Mighty no. 9 got $3.8M, Yooka Laylee is currently at $2.18M (their goal was £175,000 - it’s in British Pounds for some reason). Those are obviously the most popular ones; we’ll see how the Castlevania situation unfolds, too. This would be the “beyond expectations” situation, if Kaga were able to generate the amount of interest here. An announcement that Yuka’s actually on board could definitely be a selling point for Fire Emblem fans.

The failed kickstarter for a sequel to Eternal Darkness, more of a niche market demand, set a goal for $750,000 and collected $323,950 total on their second attempt. There was even modest coverage of the efforts, but it never gained traction.

Otherwise, there’s the danger that a kickstarter doesn’t request enough funding, lowballing it to get something started, and ends up in a dead project. Here’s a list of several successfully funded projects that failed in development.

Part of it is also the presentation; Kaga would need to put together a video, perhaps film himself for an introduction of the project. It would help if the game had a title, obviously. Then he could showcase concept art, talk about his goals for the project, etc. Basically put out whatever he’s been able to put together before attempting the kickstarter. If he shows tangible things, that only strengthens the sales pitch.

Then what does Kaga spend the money on? That’s important to answering “how much do I need?” There are some really good pixel artists and digital painters in this community that could possibly be offered contracts, since that appears to be his most pressing need. Unless he’s already found people in Japan to fulfill that need. He could also use the money to upgrade people already on his staff to full-time work. Add in whatever it costs to get Yuka Tsukiyoko as the composer.

But even if he kickstarts it, he can still preserve his initial goal. He can still use SRPG Studio (that cuts costs because they just have to script in new features), and he can still offer the resources, funded by the kickstarter donors, to SapphireSoft in order to empower individuals who want to create their own games. Honestly, that’s a narrative that could generate a lot of appeal and interest for potential donors.

P.S. Kaga-senpai, I would be willing to help organize a kickstarter on your behalf!

2 Likes

I am pour in English, and couldn’t always use a computer.
Therefore, I am sorry but I will not be able to reply soon every time.

5 Likes

SHEEIIITTTT

gah i cannot wait! I want to start now hahaha

4 Likes

I will resume being somewhat excited.

1 Like

Dude, this is so fucking awesome.

Man, I so wish I were an artist right now…

Once Kaga releases the specifications, we can share the details with a dedicated “Kaga is asking for submissions” topic on FEU, SF, and wherever else would make sense to publicize this. Hopefully we, as a community of fans, can put together some great assets for Kaga to use. Gotta represent!

With a dedicated topic, we can help keep track of what’s been accepted to minimize duplicate efforts.

4 Likes

damn straight