Opinions of what makes a main character

Just wanted to leave this here as a potential resource that might be helpful for your writing. Lectures 9 and 10 being the most relevant to the thread topic, but the whole playlist should be useful to you.

Lecture #9: Characters — Brandon Sanderson on Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy - YouTube and Lecture #10: Characters Part 2 — Brandon Sanderson on Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy - YouTube

The lector is Brandon Sanderson, an author of science fiction/fantasy books. He’s known for the Mistborn series as well as finishing the final three books (books 12-14) in The Wheel of Time series after the author Robert Jordan’s death (WoT is one of my personal favorite series, despite how the writing tends to meander a lot).

3 Likes

“What makes a main character?”

You get a game over when they die.

The goal should be for the player to care about the main character’s personality, background, and actions as much as they do about getting a game over.

7 Likes

As for a story figure make him like sigurd or Ephraim because as characters they’re good as lords as a unit make them very broken to the point they could be on par with seth
But if you want the main lord to be a villager make him more like kelike from the last promis as a character but as a unit make him more like ogma but as an MC

1 Like

While I see some great answers here, I think at least from a planning perspective one of the important things is what are they going to accomplish? And how plausible is that for their character circumstances?

1 Like