Mark of the Dragon (Lex Talionis) 9/15 Chapters

I encountered a bug on chapter 6.

During the allied monks turn when he killed an axe unit that killed a villager the game hung and then crashed. I didn’t manage to get a screen shot of it though. Additionally, it did not keep the save of that point in the chapter

Oh shit?

That is really bad, I’ve never had this happen. If you look in the save folder, there might be a bug report file that I could take a look at?

I have never used Lex Talionis before but I can dm you a link to the files.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll take a look at them right away.

1 Like

Got to playing your game. Overall it an above average hack in terms of story and gameplay. Nothing super amazing but nothing that made me want to drop trying to get through the chapters even tho Chapter 1 and Chapter 8 are the hardest chapters imo on hard mode.

What makes chapter 1 so hard is you are fighting hit rates so a miss you up even with Arkyn doing a bit of heavy lifting. Once you get pass all the soldiers that spawn, you can safely take down the 2 soldiers next to the boss and the boss with ease. giving Brandt his first Iron Axe allowing him to be mvp in chapter 2 with Solveig.

Chapter 2 problem is Nyoka is inferior to Brandt in every way. What Nyoka needs imo is a massive boost to HP and HP growth. I insta benched him both times by the time I got to chapter 3 and 4. only good for his axe since no supports. another thing I noticed is I have 9 deployment slots yet while having 8 units. not sure who I missed if anyone or just an error from earlier builds that havent been fixed.

Chapter 3 is not that bad even blind. You have Rose and Askar who can weaken everything for you and your Recruits are starting to be able to do things. Ivy isnt amazing but she does an ok job at tanking lancers and sword users, Axe users give her a lot of problems. Geir can double which is great. even with no supports he is a welcome addition to the team allowing Arkyn to finally take a break.
Chapter 3 also has the 9/10 units there same problem as chapter 2.

Chapter 4 isnt that hard but I did read you did buff the 3 cavs a bit. one nick pick is that is really hard to get sven any decent combat or exp in while Eydis, and Wyn can get a lot of exp in more so on the mooks that come with the general after you get your self some breathing room. allowing Eydis and Wyn to be able to snowball a bit.

Chapter 5. Survive for 12 turns. a lot easier chapter then it looks. Erling and Solveig can easily handle any sword users and the mage that comes with the 2 skimishers with ease so long as you got them promoted by this point. Katla, Brandt, Lloegry, and the other 2 you choose for this chapter should be able to handle the rest.

Chapter 6. this chapter is pretty easy. even tho you do lose most of the npcs since they just die easily. Fredrick holds his own till you get him, he guides me to the city even tho he does not join your team.

Chapter 7 is pretty easy. by now you have your supports and everyone with decent levels to handle all the reinforcements and do some shoping and house visiting. Scarlet, Silver, Pike are welcome additions to the team and can help out at any of the 2 sides you send them.

Chapter 8. this one is very hard, almost didnt clear it in time. if it wasnt for Askar ability at level 5, I would consider it impossible with all the spawns and how they have heavy evade on the caves. I also would remove the spawn reinforcements and the cave all together on the far right. I would also move the chest at the bottom up or give the player a chest key to open that chest as it almost impossible to get Tove down there and steal everything from the boss and mooks on the way.

Chapter 9. This chapter was way too easy. If I saved enough gold, I would of tried to arena with some of my rng blessed units. Saving Mattis is easy and with his B rank in axes and the Brave Axe, he becomes your best or 2nd best Axe fighter.

I also noticed in chapter 8 and 9 that Tove can also steal weapons which makes upkeeping weapons in future chapters a breeze. Tove is really good for a thief and a combat unit.

Story is alright. Did not notice any major spelling error or grammar errors.
Sound Track is really banger. Nice to hear a sound track that isnt the usual that is engaging.
Now for the units themselves

once she promotes she can easily become a dodge tank against axe users which is plenty in this game.

while a bit slow, he has good hp and str to handle any axe or Lancer user.

Lloegry just snowballs once he promotes making him a strong unit to handle almost anything, Cant go soloing but he can handle a mook on his own once he gets the levels going after promotion.

Best Lancer Unit right there. all the others cant compare to her, a bit of a rough start but once she gets going she can tank a lot.

if it wasnt for his tankiness and his support with Solveig, I would of benched him. his horrible starting luck and skill makes it really hard for him to hit both lance and sword users. he needs an early game buff to his hit rate only.

servicable Jeigen. does his job till you get everyone going and get rose and Askar.

not OP but a good solid mage. Pair with her husband they make the best softening up the enemy for others team.

really good at softening enemies or getting rid of annoying enemy archers after he gets Fleet of foot, he starts to really shine and is able to snipe a lot.

screams hit me and bench me, as I said early she needs a massive HP base and growth boss to be even usable since no support.

average axe tank. suffers mid to late game to do much.

his joining placement is terrible. He quickly gets the bench as there not enough axe users for him to be helpful and no supports make that more appearant. Benched easily with Nyoka.

despite her low str empowered and her support with Wyn makes her shine. she also can easily rack up the levels in chapter 3 make her a boon to the team.

Solid lance cav. thanks to his high con he can use the Arkyn weapons when you get him with ease. also semi easy to get exp on chapter 3 with Eydis make him more useful.

what sven should of been in terms of offense. she can easily nuke axe users once she gets the steel sword from the shop in chapter 9.

not OP but solid enough to handle what he needs to for the few chapters he is in.

what Nyoka could of been if she had decent bases to work with.

dodge cannon. super useful since she cant kill anything but she can weaken and steal.

Didnt use Gier after chapter 4.

First of all, thank you for playing and I am glad you enjoyed it! Secondly thank you for leaving all this very helpful feedback!

I guess this is intended to be hard enough that the player is incentivised to actually flee. I might add even more (and scarier) reinforcements later in the map based on this and earlier feedback.

This is a problem, thank you for pointing it out. Nyoka has received a small buff for the coming release. More might be needed though. She certainly shouldn’t feel worse than Brandt at this point in the game. You should have enough units to fill those nine deployment slots though. You get six characters in the first map, and three in the second.

Sounds good, there might be a couple of extra enemies late in the chapter in the next update. I might have accidentally left in a deployment slot for the new character coming in the next update? Not sure but it will be fixed in the next update.

Yes, Sven is perhaps not the best. Not everyone needs to be of course, but he will be getting a small buff as well.

While I’m not intending to make this one harder, I am thinking about adding a bonus objective or two that might be harder, but not necessary, to get, based on earlier feedback. From what I’ve seen from others, the militia are often not promoted at this point though.

He is supposed to join. Did you talk to him with Hagen? Hagen mentions that he should do this as the chapter starts.

Perhaps adding a bit extra, just on hard mode would be good. Glad you like the units!

Interesting. I’ll wait and see if others agree with this, as well as test it some more, but I’ll keep it in mind!

That’s fair. I’ll have a look at it. Of course this should depend on how you’ve raised your army since it’s almost entirely axes, but I’ll take a look at some extra hard mode stuff!

As she says, she is great.

The soundtrack is from the snes game Pocky and Rocky. One of my favourite snes soundtracks!

The unit reviews are really interesting, I’ll take them all into account for the next update! :slight_smile:

Thanks for playing, and for your very helpful feedback!

I did not talk with to Fredrick with Hagen, the talk icon didn’t show up for me. I noticed you have the talk icon up for when a character is selected. or I didn’t see it when I was up there with him and I deploy Hagen every chapter.

Okay I finished up! I did accidentally press start after killing the boss of chapter 9 which took me back to the start screen, so they’ll be no unit screenshots.

So onto the chapters:

Chapter 6

This one is pretty simple I thought there would be a reward for having all of the civilians alive by the end so I blitzed my way through it, but there doesn’t seem to be one. Fredrick is a strange character and I like that he’s a bit weird.

I lost the lance cav this chapter because I was going fast. Sooooo I ended up using Sven for the rest of the run (until he died too :person_shrugging: whoops).

Chapter 7

I love defense maps! This one was really easy though. I immediately rushed out of the city and into the enemy. All of the fighting in this chapter too place outside the city walls. While the number of reinforcements was a lot I had more than enough units to jump them when they spawned, and it’s pretty easy to bait and kill the boss by turn 5-6. I had nothing to do for the last 2 turns.

Notes:
The two pirates and the mercenaries joining was nice but they had a 3-4 turn hike to the front lines, and by the time they got there there was little for them to do.

Maybe the boss shouldn’t move so that if you want to get to him before the final push you have to over extend a bit.

I also think this level could do with more enemies starting on the map, closer to or even inside the town. While the amount of reinforcements is right and anything more would probably be overkill, having to deal with enemies inside the town and pushing your way out of the town would have felt more engaging.

Chapter 8

This chapter was my least favorite. Both Geir and the two pirates you got in the previous chapter make this objective trivial, as instead of having to go through the pirate maze you could just walk on water/cliffs and just break the traps. I was done with this chapter by turn 5 but I spent more time on it just to hunt down Tove and see if I can get any of the chests.

Notes:
I really don’t like the funnel part of this chapter because you spend 2-3 turns getting everyone off the boat and into a narrow passage. The enemies don’t really engage you so this map for me was “how much xp do I want” and “can I get Tove to the chest” rather than attempting to the objective, which I had done by turn 5.

The pirates reinforcements on the mountains were tricky, but only because I had to wait for them to come off the mountains to have a reliable hit rate.

I think there should be more ways to get off the boat and more routes through the mountains, because it felt like my units were forced into a death ball in the center of the map.

I feel this also needs maybe two objectives. Destroy the traps and kill boss?

Or maybe some pirates move to try to take your boat when you send everyone ashore.

Chapter 9

This chapter was very easy but had a solid premise. I think saving Mattis was pretty easy, but I did rush it. Maybe it would have gotten worse if I had delayed. The reinforcements on this on were weird because they came from weird directions.

Like the wave of fighters from the upper right hand corner of the map definitely confused me.

Another thing is that while this chapter is a time for you sword units to shine, none of my sword units could make their way through the bulky raiders and fighters on their own (unless Katla did a crit). They seem to be a bit too fast and a bit too bulky for that. So instead of being time for my sword users it was time for Brandt to just murder his way through the map.

I think this would be a good map for the boss to start moving toward Mattis midway through to put more pressure on the player.

Units

Units

Katla never got good. She was level 6 and had 6 str (cursed). When she was against axe users she could dodge tank and sometimes crit, but like… idk not my type of unit.

Brandt is overtuned and too good. Or at least my Brandt became that way. By the time I finished my Brandt was better than Mattis in every stat and was my primary way of killing ANYTHING. With the hatchet (which probably has too much accuracy tbh) he can fight sword users, and anyone else he could fight with an iron axe. By the end of my run he had enough speed to double everyone but sword users. Upon seeing Mattias had a brave axe my immediate instinct was to take it from him and give it to Brandt. (unfortunately Brandt had C rank axes :cry: )

Solveig remains a queen. She’s just very good. Though by the end I had noticed her speed and damage beginning to fall off, starting in chapter 7. But her solid defense and resistance made her worth keeping.

Erling became okay.Another lance user. But my 3rd favorite. Edit: This is unjust. Erling was one of my best units late game. The slim lance made him and Solveig more than make up for my lack of swords in chapter 8 and 9.

Rose remained fine as time went on. She definitely lagged behind but having chip damage was good.

Ivy remained good until around chapter 8. She really really struggles against fast axe users and her defenses are not sufficient to resist their attacks.

Geir was MVP of chapter 8. But also not that great as a unit. He got dragged along because I liked him.

So ah. About those cavs. I got every single one of them killed. They also all died to crits. Honestly I think it has to do with the 5th level skill making me think they could take hits that they couldn’t because they take 5 less damage when they attack. So like I would attack and they would take 2 damage on the counter, but if the enemy attacked then they would take 7. The crits just made it happen. That said, I really tried to make Sven work. He’s bad.

Eydis isn’t great because she has to outcompete Brandt. I think every axe user suffers from trying to compete with Brandt. He’s just such a standout unit.

Frederick is fine? I honestly had little use for his buff spell and as an offensive unit he felt like a middle ground of both of the mages you had up till that point, but not really good at anything. He had much higher speed than the other light mage, but it rarely seemed to matter in my run. This is fine, backup units are nice to have. I think he could possibly turn into a monster if you started to feed him kills and made use of Wrath.

Scarlet is a unit I hoped would be good for me, but she never got there (level ups were bad). She served where Katla couldn’t.

The pirate boys felt the same but one of them is better than the other. They can walk on water which is nice. It’s kinda a mixed bag because at this point in my playthrough I had so many axe units already. I always did have space to deploy them due to my rampant murder of my units though.

Tove is good. Tooo good maybe? She outshone Katla and Scarlet immediately. In chapter 9 I sent her the bottom route with just Rose as backup and she handled it fine.

Overall I liked it a lot, I had fun and it’s interesting to see what someone else did with a similar premise.

1 Like

Sorry for taking a while to reply! I’ve been quite busy.

No at the moment there isn’t one, but perhaps in the future! Glad you like Frederick!

This is a really good suggestion. I don’t want it to be quite as easy as you say, but again, you seem to have found several things easier than others who have played it. But something will probably have to be done and these are good suggestions. Thanks!

Interesting. Others have quite liked this one. The way you can exploit the map with the pirates was left in intentionally, but I think perhaps it would be better if only one of the traps could be waterwalked to. The corridor in the beginning I can see how it is a problem. I might have a look at that. I will probably keep the objective as it is though.

This is different from feedback I have had before, as I have heard that other players sword users got to really come into their own on this map. Everyone’s army turns out differently of course.
Can you explain why the directions the reinforcements arrived from felt weird?

You were definitely unlucky, and that does of course happen sometimes.

This is fair. I think that for now I’m going to put Brandt on my watchlist. He may get a nerf but I do want to be cautious with that kind of stuff.

Good! Sounds like she is working as intended :slight_smile:

I’m glad Erling grew on you. He is supposed to be a growth unit in a much more literal sense than the other militia. Sounds like he worked as intended in your case :slight_smile:

I think Rose may reach a new plateu in the upcoming chapter 10 where you get access to some new spells…

I may give Ivy a small defense boost. We will see.

Could you give an example of why he isn’t that great? He will be getting a small buff, and some more information would be helpful!

I do currently agree about Sven. However in general my philosophy with the cavs has been to give them lower stats to compensate for their high movement. I’d like them to not just be… better than foot equivalents. I’m not sure I’m quite happy about their skills at the moment.

That’s fair.

Fair!

She certainly can get good, but sometimes you’re unlucky I suppose.

That’s fair. I may try to make them a little bit more distinct from each other.

Yeah this isn’t quite intended. She may get a small nerf.

Thanks! And thank you for your extremely helpful feedback!

2 Likes

Yeah my swords were real bad (asides from Tove). So it was Slim Lance + Brandt to victory.

It’s been a bit and I don’t want to give you inaccurate assessments, but I remember the north eastern units just feeling odd. If I do another play through I can definitely point out what I thought was wrong.

The problem I had with Geir is that he had to stand out amongst 3 other lance units when you get him. You had Solveig which is just a very good unit, Erling who is fine at that point, and Arkyn who is still setting up kills for the other units in the army.

Geir is fast but doesn’t hit hard which makes him play similarly to Solveig, but by that point she was only slightly slower than him and stronger. Geir can kinda replace Erling but he can’t do the job of Arkyn, since he himself needs to be babied a bit. So when it comes to figuring out when to use/deploy him he has a lot of competition with the growth units, which you have already invested in.

I did deploy him every chapter I had him, and gave my energy ring to him and even then, I was conflicted about where to use him, since he’s not great at getting kills and there aren’t many units he performs well against. It doesn’t help that he can’t do anything that your other units can’t do. Like the lance cav can do objectives that require more movement.

Geir getting acrobat is great. But he only got it in time for the pirate level in my playthrough because I invested in him, and if I didn’t find him so novel I would have benched him. Once you get to chapter 8-9 Geir can’t do much combat wise anyway, so if I didn’t get acrobat on him by then I would have probably benched him.

As to how to fix him?
Maybe he could get acrobat earlier? Or have it come with his base kit?
I really wouldn’t add any str to him otherwise he could get out of hand, but maybe something that gives him more crit?
Or maybe even something that increases his benefits from terrain?

I agree with this philosophy!

In that case I would make their movement matter more throughout the game. Like a reward for saving all the villagers on the mountain map. I think having benefits like that being present or more obvious would make the cavs worth using.

Regarding difficulty, I think the context I played it in is important. I did ironman your game, so it was okay if units died as I played. And while I found the hack overall an easy experience I lost (like 6?) units, And tbf I did play fast and loose and greedy as hell with my decisions (rip sword boy in chapter 1 and axe lady in chapter 2), I made a few mistakes (rip Askar), and I got unlucky (rip every single cav).

If a player was playing more conservatively or resetting at every death, they would likely have a very different experience difficulty wise. So just for context I found it easy overall, but from a greedy ironman pov.

1 Like

Thanks this is very helpful! :slight_smile:

Good suggestion. I’ll see what I can do :slight_smile:

This is interesting. I have aimed at making it decent from an ironman perspective, but I do think that a lot of the people I have observed playing at least (Like friends and such) haven’t necessarily been that familliar with FE. So even if they did ironman, they didn’t play fast and greedy. I think it would be interesting to cater to both playstyles. Some extra challenges perhaps that only actually occur if the player is being greedy. Like extra enemies that only appear if you rush out of the city defense chapter and things like that (Maybe with some rewards as well.)

Anyways, thanks for alll your feedback, again :slight_smile: