Absolutely dogshit.

Fucking hate it here.

2 Likes

its good because it has szechuan sword imo

8 Likes

Would be good if it still had DGE.

Here is my Yelp review of of FEU from back in 2021:

4 Likes

This is the least toxic fire emblem discussion website out there. Granted, this is more of a modding forum than anything else but I will take what I can get. I love it here

12 Likes

forums are bad by default nowadays because they don’t run on 2005 proboards. awful

1 Like

I dislike some of the moderators, users, and rules, but i also think a good amount of them are alright or even good, that frankly goes for most media spheres though. I do appreciate having a forum for discussing things in an age where everyone swapped over to Discord, and it can be nice for more lenghty game design discussions, or as a hub for FE-like Projects, be it hack or something made in different engines. It also gives me something to do when i have a boring day at work or trade school, which is when most of my posts are made.
All in all it could be better, but could also be a whole lot worse, so i vote good.

15 Likes

Would you kindly elaborate?

3 Likes

This place allows me to go:

:point_up: :nerd_face:
“There’s a patch for that!”

So yes, best site ever.

10 Likes

What Donlot meant he dislike certain parts of FEUniverse and does not want to point fingers on said part.

5 Likes

Pretty much what Silver-Star said.

2 Likes

elaborating after making dislikes known is a recipe to getting threadbombed

8 Likes

I would like this forum more if we were allowed to host an anual chess game.

8 Likes

As a lurker/casual FEU enjoyer, it’s pretty good. However that’s because I can look from the outside whenever there’s an… incident and just laugh it all off. It must be hell for moderators to handle those (there were two particular incidents over the last few months. I think you know which ones). Personally I never had any problem (unless there’s someone out there that absolutely hates me in particular for something)

Only issue is, this forum is about Fire Emblem. And I absolutely hate Fire Emblem with a burning passion

5 Likes

I feel it doesn’t really do a good job of keeping harmful users (harmful, not just annoying) out, obviously naming names is a recipe for disaster but yeah, I do think there are some big problems here.

It is all we have however so while I don’t find it great I do appreciate it as a platform for releasing works.

7 Likes

Why do i only get to vote for one option?

1 Like

This forum is very good for getting into hacking, its why I joined. However I wish some of the wizards shared their knowledge with us commoners in a language we can understand. Some hacking knowledge is guarded like a Sphinx guards their secrets

8 Likes

Like what?

If your gripe is about a lack of sharing:

It’s essentially impossible for someone with some kind of specific knowledge to know that they should be the one to specifically make some type of resource/document/tutorial on a topic, especially a niche one. You’re probably sitting on a bunch of knowledge yourself that you deemed too mundane to try to teach.

If you want to know something, asking about it is the best way to get an answer (bonus points if the answer might also benefit someone else). One of the big benefits of a forum (rather than Discord/Skype/etc.) is their relative permanence and ease-of-searchability.

If your gripe is about not understanding what’s already been shared:

That’s another opportunity to ask questions! It’s equally as hard to find the right way to talk about something as it is to find a thing to talk about. Gauging the knowledge or experience of someone is really hard, and it’s all too common for the person receiving some kind of explanation to simply go hmmm I see without actually understanding. You’ve got to ask for things to be broken up into finer and finer pieces.

And then, if you’re still not getting it, it might be because you’ve got some research to do on your own. A large number of hacking questions get roadblocked by needing to know some kind of programming language (generally, THUMB assembly or C for GBA code, or some other language for tools or other systems). Sometimes you really do need to just… write the code yourself.

7 Likes

@Brober Learning to code is not an easy nor a quick process. I think you should instead be grateful that we usually share our code publicly, include comments/documentation, and answer questions people have. Just because I haven’t written a guide on every hack I’ve made doesn’t mean I’m trying to guard some secret knowledge - it’s just a lot of work to create more documentation and tutorials. I sometimes joke that doing something is “wizard exclusive”, but it’s not some club: it’s just people who have put in the work and asked questions over and over until they understood more. Information is not guarded: you can only get the @help:wizardry role on discord by actively helping people in #gba_coding_help, so I disagree with your opinion.

You also have to keep in mind that there are only so many of us and that we do other things than help people all day. I’m always happy to go over snippets of code with people when I have the time, but I can’t help much if someone says “this isn’t working” and doesn’t give me anything to go on. There are going to be things you need to try out on your own a number of times if you want to get anywhere with coding.

13 Likes

Right, I merely meant there’s a huge learning curve of terms/ a lot of jargon and a lot of people just talk in terms that are assumed to be common knowledge. Took a while to learn the “language” of hacking I guess is what I’m saying.

1 Like

I find the community (I say that because a lot of this happens on discord too) overwhelmingly helpful and supportive when it comes to helping people learn the ins and outs of modding. I’ve never asked a question and not got some feedback and help. Sometimes what I’ve wanted to do has been too complex so I’ve had to give up, but by and large people are there and they are very generous in how willing they are to take time out of their day to help.

5 Likes