How to create and import music in rom

Hello there.
I’m trying to insert some music for my rom hack. I looked at some walkthroughs that shows inserting music using .s file. But I want to add my own music. I figured that I need to have midi files to add them to the rom. But if I import midi files in the rom they sound weird. How can I import my own music in my rom?

Depending on what is sounding weird, it could be a few things.

If the instruments are just not correct you’ll have to change them. Native instrument map can be found in this post. Native Instrument Map - #8 by Alusq

Anvil Studio is a good DAW for this since the default midi instruments line up with the FE native instrument set.

Instructions like bends in the midi may not work very well either. When importing midfix4agb should take care of it if you have that set up in FEBuilder. If not you can go to the old option tab and check the boxes to ignore instructions potentially causing the issue.

2 Likes

Can I use anvil studio to modify the midi song? I have a midi file that I converted from mp3 which sound like some piano music. Can I modify the notes and change the instruments there? And also I can’t seem to understand the native instrument map that much. I’m trying to import music in a FE8 rom.

You can make and edit midis in Anvil studio.

MP3 is a digital audio format for recorded audio and MIDI is digital musical instruments (essentially a set of instructions for instrument samples). Converting to MIDI from typical music formats like MP3 rarely translates well, if at all because MP3 and MIDI are fundamentally different types of music files.

Likely the MP3 you converted only has 1 track and sounds like a garbled mess. A song made in the midi format will look like this in Anvil Studio.

Your best option will be to try and find the song as a midi. Here’s a link to the music repository on this website, it don’t think it’s been updated in a while though. Music Repository v3

There is also a music chat on the FEU discord, you’ll find more knowledgeable people on this subject than me over there. Link to the Discord is on the getting started post Getting Started

This post might be helpful if you’re trying to rip music from another game A Comprehensive Guide to Ripping Music for Use In GBA FE

1 Like

Ok. Thanks a lot.