How to add more "Movement Sound Effect" into FE

Hi, the text is very self-explanatory. How do I add MORE movement sound effects?

I would like to add or extend the Table of Movement Sound Effects.

Doing so is quite a challenge.
As you can see by disassembling and looking at the data, there is a data structure that manages the walking sound, and new data must be added according to that specification.
FEBuilderGBA does not support this.

If you really want to add it, it is easier to recycle the data you don’t use.
For example, if there are no zombies in your game, then the data for zombies is no longer needed and can be overwritten.

If you still want to add new data, the only way is to define the data structure yourself using a disassembler and EA.

1 Like

I see. This would be a hard job.

Do you have any tutorials or suggestions to advice me in this problem?

Thank you in advance.

I’ve done edits of this stuff before, but I’ve only theorized about adding a new entry. I don’t have any concrete answers, but maybe my ramblings might motivate someone else or even me.

From what l’ve seen, it’s one small array of bytes that contains a pointer to another small array of bytes with lots of extra zeroes. It might be possible to copy-paste the two sections to any arbitrary spot, then repoint the new pointer, but I can’t say I’ve ever tried it. Thinking about it now, that first section might be assembly, which could make adding a new one in some other spot more difficult, but it depends on what it actually is. Anyway, the thing that kept scaring me off before was how l could never find out why the second section has different amounts of zeroes or why the second defined sound is at a different offset every time.

At the least, I’m sure the second section defines how soon the sound repeats, how many sounds there are (maybe?), and what the sounds actually are. It does not define, however, what sound will play when multiple units are walking simultaneously. That might just be a +1 to the listed sound(s), since Fire Dragons play a funky magic noise when multiple are moving, which is surely not intended.

I don’t have a project on FE8, so if l attempt this, it’s gonna be on FE6 or 7. It looks like FE8 is largely the same, but its first section looks to be smaller than prior games. The second section looks the same. Don’t count on me, though, l’m a darn lazy.

089A2998 - 089A29BC //Move Sound: Walk	 (36bytes)
089A29BC - 089A2A00 //Move Sound: Armor	 (68bytes)
089A2A00 - 089A2A2E //Move Sound: Tarvos horse	 (46bytes)
089A2A30 - 089A2A5A //Move Sound: Gargoyle	 (42bytes)
089A2A5C - 089A2AB2 //Move Sound: Pegasus	 (86bytes)
089A2AB4 - 089A2AD4 //Move Sound: Zombie	 (32bytes)
089A2AD4 - 089A2AF6 //Move Sound: Skeleton	 (34bytes)
089A2AF8 - 089A2B22 //Move Sound: Bigl	 (42bytes)
089A2B24 - 089A2B3A //Move Sound: Bael	 (22bytes)
089A2B3C - 089A2B68 //Move Sound: Mauthedoog	 (44bytes)

Perhaps the first 4 bytes are the header.
The meaning of 0x10 and 0x2 is not clear.
0x96 and 0x97 are SongID of moving sound.
The meaning of the 0 in the middle is not clear.

1 Like

In your screenshot, 0x10 is the interval between footstep sounds. I know this because I have edited it before. Lower values make the footstep play rapidly, while higher values will create a large delay between footsteps.

However, I do not know exactly what 0x2 is. It most likely decides the variety of sounds that play for the footsteps. We can see at 0x9A2A02 the number is 0x03, and there are three sounds that follow it. This is a guess, however. I have never tried changing this value.

I redid Tequila’s FE8 walking sounds fix a while back (here) and documented the format as part of the installer.

The data is a 2-short header followed by the sound data. Sound data consists of song ID shorts or 0 to not play a sound that frame. The first short in the header is the number of sounds/lack of sounds in the sound data. The second short in the header is the distance between the high-priority version of a sound and its low-priority version in the song table. For example, the normal walking sounds have the following order in the song table:

96: walking sound 1 (medium priority)
97: walking sound 2 (medium priority)
98: walking sound 1 (mid-low priority)
99: walking sound 2 (mid-low priority)

and 98 - 96 = 2, hence the 2 in the header.

1 Like