How do you go about planning your projects?

I write down on one A4 sheet of paper of where I want the hack to go and every chapter that’s going to be a part of the main story, before writing stuff down I think about “is there a point to this chapter existing?” and then I put it down as a part of the draft.

I then kind of make everything up around that outline, as that way I can (hopefully) have less plotholes in the story, not get carried away making 34985754 chapters, etc.

Determine the beginning and end of the story.

1 Like

Balancing for me was beefing up HP, STR/MAG, SKL, and SPD, while reducing DEF and RES. It takes trial and error to get it right, and “right” is highly subjective to your own preference and the map design.

3 Likes

I don’t use reminders or drafts, I just follow my heart.
I love to create fanfiction and I am very attentive to the story and the balance of a game
First I create the balance, then the story, then the supports and finally Hard Mode.

Balance: I spend days creating a balance that is perfect in my eyes and that rewards the player’s strategy.
I modified, weapons, triangle of weapons, terrain bonus, character base stats, level base stats, characters growth, class growth, class max stats, Enemies, Enemies position in the map, reinforcements etc…
I use a lot of math, so I won’t explain how I do it.

Story: I like to create the first 5 chapters usually, I use vanilla maps o new maps depending of my story, and then branch out my story from those chapters, as I progress.
This is one of the reasons why I never give accurate answers to players, when they ask me how many chapters the story will be or what will happen to that character. Because I don’t know either. if the things to tell are over, I finish the story, otherwise I continue until everything is properly explained. That way I can have fun without knowing the end of my story in advance.

The supports: I don’t focus much on the supports because for me they are useless, 3 dialogues are not enough to explain everything about the character.
So I prefer to have a small cast of characters but everyone have a big role in the main story or I create a lot of Event Talk between the characters to make them seem alive within certain chapters.

Hard Mode: I’m a hardcore gamer and I always play Lunatic at various Fire Emblem, but I know that not everyone likes high difficulty, so I create Normal Mode for players who want to focus on the story and Hard Mode for me or for who like to died a lot in game.

Test: I spend more time testing my game than creating it, because everything has to be perfect and credible.

I find a cool portrait that I think would make a cool protag and think of a personality for them, then I make a prologue map using whatever tiles I want, then I improvise a story from there.

as for normal chapters I make the map for the chapter based on the previous chapter’s events, then I make the boss, the goons, and then placement, and finally the events and story

2 Likes