[First Rebalance Beta release out!] Donlot's Shadow Dragon Patch Emporium

I never released it due to not quite getting done with it, and getting burned out after working on it for a week straight. I will definitely finish it though, as i have done a lot of it already, and promised i’d do it. Now that i got the beta of this done i’ll start work on it again.

1 Like

Oh I gotcha, thanks for letting me know. I made a few suggestions for it and was just wondering.

1 Like

I decided to try out the beta and compared the character’s stats to your design doc. I found a couple of inconsistencies, but it was mostly correct. I’ve only played up to Chapter 5 though so there might be more later on.

Inconsistencies

Cain and Abel’s speed bases has been swapped, but their strength remains the same.
I think that Hardin and Roshea have 2 less skill than they’re supposed to? I know you mentioned that skill bases were weird in Nightmare, but these were the only two characters I noticed were below what they were stated to be at.
Wolf has some bow experience, but not enough to get him to C Bows as a Horseman.

Apart from these small errors, I also have a couple of suggestions. For reference, I played on H5.
The first three bosses are just too strong. They were tough in the original too, but they feel just as bad if not worse.

Gazzak

Gazzak has enough speed and strength to one-round everyone in your army. This forces you to attack him from range with javelins and bows. In the screenshot he rolled high on speed, so lowering his speed by 2 will keep Jagen from being doubled and allow the player a little more flexibility.

Gomer

Again, this Gomer rolled high on speed. The only unit that doesn’t get one-rounded is Ogma with an iron sword, but even he gets doubled with a steel sword. Just lowering his speed by two would allow other units to fight him.

Hyman

This time, Hyman rolled high on strength (I don’t know how he rolled on speed). With 17 strength, he can one-shot Navarre. Lowering his speed by 2 might be good, but lowering his strength by 1 is the only way for Navarre to be guaranteed to survive a hit on H5.

In terms of how the characters and enemies were balanced, pretty much everything seemed fine. The only character that seemed particularly bad was Castor who, as far as I could tell, got debuffed without any buffs in return. I don’t have a lot of experience with Shadow Dragon as a whole, but I feel that just giving him +1 speed at base wouldn’t hurt. As it is now, he seems like a squishier version of Gordin who still gets doubled by a sizable amount of enemies.

Anyways, I’ll probably play more later in the week to see how the rest of the characters were changed. I’ve never really liked Shadow Dragon too much, but I’ve been having quite a bit of fun playing through this rebalance!

2 Likes

Yeah i noticed how Gazzak was super strong, and already fixed it on my end, will upload a new patch in a sec with the first 3 bosses having lower stats. As for Castor I’ll take another look

I found the culprit for the weird Skill issues. Apprently the Character Editor module for nightmare uses 13 for both Str AND Skill, meaning if you change the value noted at Skill, you will actually change the the STR value.

This is how you should fix it, maybe its just my module, you should probably check yours by opening it with a text editor (i use Notepad++)
Another issue is that Nagi and Ymir are actually switched in the Character editor, you can fix this easily by just going into Character List.txt and swapping the two names.

1 Like

There’s no way buffing the axe bosses could ever be an intentional change :frog:

2 Likes

Beta Patch Version 2 is now uploaded and includes lowered stats for the first 3 bosses, lots of fixed character stats mainly related to the STR/SKL issue, and slightly adjusted Pirate stats, so they shouldn’t reach 11 SPD as easily.