Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror (Concept for FE8 ROM Hack)

Still waiting for finale release (//∇//)\

1 Like

Thank you for the quick answer @caladrius. I’ll try to save as much money as I can to that point, so I can promote everyone.

I have to say this, not a fan of exclusive characters tied to specific chapters (16). I hated that in Blazing Sword I had to choose between Karel and Harken or Geitz and Wallace because I’m a completionist and it hurts my soul not to have all of them. I’m sure storywise the chapter 16 route you take will end up making sense, but it hurts XD.

And yeah, the way you explained the arena sounds like it could be a nightmare. I’d prefer for you to work on something like the Tower of Valni from FE8 (so we can level the characters to their max level) after full release.

PD: Thank you! Hope you have a nice time too!

1 Like

Hello Fire Emblem Obsessionists and Happy 2021!!

I have been working hard on a FE8 ROM Hack project titled Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror, and I wanted to officially release the full game.

The game has been updated on the Dropbox and the latest version is FE_LonelyMirror_FullGame_v1_00.ups. I have also updated the included materials: ReadMe, Special Thanks, Growth Rate, Recruitment Guide, and the Rune Guide.

I should note that this new release will not be compatible with previous save files, at least past Chapter 7, as I had to do many ID remapping. I still would recommend starting a brand new save file.

Features

• Original story and characters.
  • 36 playable chapter maps on single route of play (38 total).
  • 44 total playable characters.
  • Player choices that impact branching chapter maps, character recruitment, items, and enemy placements.
  • Unique chapter objectives and map interactivity.
  • Custom backgrounds that enhance story telling including hand-painted, storybook intro.
  • Custom battle sprites.
  • Newly introduced classes and weapon types.
  • Newly added music.
  • Many support conversations for additional character development
  • Special endings and paired ending epilogues based on supports.
  • Enhanced gameplay; though, staying true to classic GBA Fire Emblem.

New Playable Characters:
Two new playable characters have been added in this release.

• Shiloh, a Priest (available on Chapter 14A)
  • Lionel, a Warrior (available on chapter 30)

Chapter 14 is now always a branching map - similar to Chapter 17. Shiloh is available on Chapter 14A and Riley the pirate is available on 14B. Some of you may have noticed Shiloh’s name available on the character poll before his release. Check him out. He is a fun character and an interesting unit.

Supports Available:
There are 34 support conversations written at this time. I plan to continue adding more support conversations over time. This take a while to write and add. If there are a pairing you’d like to see, please reach out to me and let me know!

Supports Available

Boone x Leah
Boone x Caspian
Boone x Myles
Boone x Ariel
Boone x Queenie
Boone x Silvan
Caspian x Tanya
Myles x Leah
Myles x Winifred
Myles x Joseph
Ariel x Saoirse
Travis x Rob
Roxie x Vergil
Liang x Irina
Wyatt x Kurtis
Silvan x Ozias
Noelle x Liang
Joseph x Wise
Joseph x Shiloh
Helga x Faith
Benji x Kurtis
Shiloh x Kurtis
Riley x Sterling
Parvati x Atticus
Parvati x Tanya
Wise x Winifred
Queenie x Lael
Wanda x Vergil
Atticus x Brett
Atticus x Liang
Eamon x Kathryn
Leah x Caden
Grant x Vergil
Shane x Tarin

Paired Ending Epilogues
Achieving an A support with characters will add bonus scenes at the end of the game.

Paired Ending Epilogues Available

Boone and Ariel
Boone and Caspian
Boone and Silvan
Boone and Leah
Leah and Vergil
Leah and Myles
Leah and Caden
Joseph and Queenie
Joseph and Myles
Joseph and Caden
Wise and Shane
Wise and Wanda
Wise and Tanya
Wise and Joseph
Lael and Myles
Lael and Queenie

Trailer:
I created a mini-trailer for the full game release of Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror.

New Screenshots

What Comes Next?
I’d like to continue to improve the Lonely Mirror by adding more supports and character development as well as enhancing some of the existing maps. As always, I appreciate any feedback and support to make this hack the best that it possibly can be. :slight_smile:

I am also planning on doing something with some of the popular characters (based on the poll) that will happen throughout 2021. Stay tuned for this!

It is kind of a strange feeling to be actually release an entire game though… I have been working A LOT on this project the last couple years, so it’s always an odd feeling for a project to be near the end. I hope more comes from it, because it’s been a lot of fun.

28 Likes

Congratulations on the release! Will be trying it out!

6 Likes

Congrats on the release!

5 Likes

Finally finished, eh? Great to hear! I’ll give this a crack tonight.

3 Likes

Congrats on getting your project out there. I look forward to doing a top to bottom playthrough, give you some feedback on this long awaited opus

3 Likes

I know it’s been said but congratulations on the release, I’ll be checking it out right away.

3 Likes

Comgrats for the final release of your project! Oh boy what a way to start this new year by playing a complete version of my favorite hack🥰 thank you for every hard work you had make by making this game possible I know it was difficult but you manage to do it very proud and I’m very grateful! Happy New year!

3 Likes

Are supports easy to get in this hack? Like being close 2 turns gets you the next support level, if they’re not I guess most players won’t be seeing them and it’s a pity since this hack’s supports seem to be well done.

4 Likes

Supports should not be too bad to raise. You obtain support points standing within three spaces of another eligible unit beginning chapter 11. Support gains are also a lot faster than the original Fire Emblem GBA games.

3 Likes

Congrats on completion!

3 Likes

Huge congrats on the release! I know this project has largely been a single-developer endeavor, including most of the art, so it’s impressive to see such a fully-loaded game. I hope to give it a full playthrough sometime soon!

4 Likes

Congrats on the release! Good stuff. I can see a bit of “mono-testing” going on in some chapters, especially chapters 2,3, prelude 3, chapters 8, etc. Having one or two maps depending on rng luck is alright but I’m halfway through and consistently gambling in order to win. Just not everyone’s cup of tea I suppose haha.

2 Likes

I’m at chapter 3 and this is FE6 over and over and over, if they are the worst units this hack has to offer then for once in my life I’ll never promote or use them (princess included if possible),I mean every map is perfectly configured against my units, their stats are horrible and the hit rates are…

1 Like

Yes, I pretty much did everything for this ROM hack including the testing. I wouldn’t want to trouble anyone with it. What difficulty are you playing on, @Marimo? I never would recommend Maddening on the first play through of this game.

There really should not be any chapters with rng focus on Normal and Hard mode on the chapters that you have mentioned with maybe the exception of Prelude 3 as the enemy responds differently based on how well the green units do, but even still, it is not bad to adjust accordingly. Granted, I have played these maps 60+ times, so it’s difficult for me to fully understand your experience through simple text.

1 Like

It is difficult for me to comment on your experience without actually seeing you play, @DBAV. I do not know your play style or how you tackle turn to turn decision making. Many of the early chapters in The Lonely Mirror do require more defensive play style. I will also say I recommend this game on Normal and Hard for first time players.

To acknowledge your comment or complaint, you never need to deploy Leah or any of those units again past Chapter 11.

1 Like

The chapter were u have to get that red girl to talk to somebody is literally impossible reinforcement almost everyturn and she get one rounded by everything

2 Likes

Sorry if I came too strongly but I don’t find your hack difficult it’s annoying, I’m playing on normal, I always do that to avoid ragequiting and find what the dev had in mind with their maps, for example the axe knight is added difficulty since there are hunter bows, swords and halberds everywhere (+ atrocious hit rates) or how the runeseeker is like a watered down manakete with limited attacks, slow and squishy mage etc etc… my two best units right are the princess and the healer.

2 Likes

Yes, that chapter is very difficult. I know that it is not impossible though. :slight_smile: I sometimes lose a unit or two on that one when I play.

1 Like