Fire Emblem: The Dragon Herald (103.3% Complete FE8 Hack)

I’m gonna be honest.

I hate the difficulty. There are moments where placing “You” in cover simply doesn’t matter because of how high enemy skill is.

The prologue wasn’t too bad though I did get aggravated that I couldn’t do anything about the pirates switching targets to get a high hit as possible.

The first chapter has an intensely difficult scramble to get out of cavalier range (many of which wield lances and deal enough damage to one round You) and I find it’s impossible to not take damage during the first enemy phase unless you fed Lawrence enough kills to double the soldiers with Byrd’s Iron Lance.

Chapter 2 had such an odd logic behind the enemies, do I rush forward for the Recruit or do I hang back and lose a unit? The magic enemies also didn’t help with this issue since low damage high hit enemies can build up quick.

Overall I stopped at chapter 2 because of how infuriatingly rigid the first few levels are which leaves a bad taste in my mouth because these are also issues why I dislike Fire Emblem 6.

Well, thanks for playing as far as you did at any rate. I actually also haven’t beaten FE6 Hard Mode yet, so I can relate to stuff being too difficult. I would argue that most chapter 1/2s, while not rigid per se, don’t really offer that much in terms of flexibility for approaching the problems at hand. There’s simply fewer options at that point in the game.

As some advice for approaching both harder FE games and hacks in the future, I’d suggest making greater use of your OP units. Taiga can be used to bulldoze the cavaliers in Chapter 1, as well as spearhead deeply into the fort in Chapter 2 if you want to recruit the green unit during their first appearance. While it might seem a little dull to utilize your prepromote over drip-feeding experience to your other units, many Fire Emblem hard modes demand it, and Dragon Herald was balanced around the assumption that Taiga would be appropriately utilized.

Best of luck with your future Fire Emblem endeavors, and I hope you won’t be put off trying other difficult hacks in the future. There’s some fun but hard stuff out there made by people with more experience than me, and then there’s just some stupid hard stuff that you wanna try to beat for bragging rights.

Hey there. Been playing this hack for a couple of days now and gotta say, it’s surprisingly harder than I expected, but overall not too frustratingly difficult compared to say other FE games like FE6. That said I did have some really blessed characters (capped str/spd Hartmann that makes FE6 Percival look like a chump lol) so I guess my experience might be affected a bit. Character balance could definitely use some work given that some characters just felt a bit more… mandatory? reliant? to use.

Currently played up to chapter 19 now so I’ll post some thoughts on characters so far given that I’m almost at endgame anyway, from the looks of it.

Characters/comments

RheaMad_01
Putting my hands up here to say I actually rigged for str/spd growths earlygame since well mount and I figured it’d pay off. It did, but then there are points in the game where it’s expected for You to have good level ups (Chapter 10 comes to mind given that Shouzou isnt strong enough to carry everything and his summons have a tendency to suicide into stuff anyway) which makes it feel kinda icky imo. I can see someone with a bad You struggling through this.

RheaMad_02
ngl i think i got a blessed taiga here lol.
Jagen does jagen stuff, though his speed tapers off a bit lategame and so does his usefulness. Probably expected tho

RheaMad_19
Dude was okay filler earlygame and got a promotion early to help smooth stuff along but was kinda whatever in the long run.

RheaMad_26
no.
a bit too reliant on early defense procs to keep tanking stuff earlygame and really has no business being deployed after like chapter 6 or 7. ig if you promote her to GK she might have some use but lol no.

RheaMad_25
tfw axe user
tfw 3 skill
this is totally not a recipe for disaster. you’re still kinda forced to use him earlygame because of his damage output but dear god i was so glad to be rid of him by midgame

RheaMad_21
now this one is pretty jank, her stats kinda ended up being blegh and being your only potential ballistician doesn’t help either. it feels like you’re expected to use her and you get a bit screwed if she has ass stats. idk. maybe add a prepromo sniper somewhere idk lol

RheaMad_17
Kris had some use earlygame and was mostly among the ‘not shit’ crew which is nice. Falls off a bit later ig but still decent as filler.

RheaMad_24
tfw low base strength and no steel swords or something. wasnt really a fun character to use and i just gave up early on.

RheaMad_04
God, and probably the one guy carrying the run. Main bosskiller and basically juggernaut. That said, he and You are your only mounts earlygame so this really favors him quite a lot, since You has pretty suspect durability for most of the game.

RheaMad_12
idk why she has so much str. works as filler and okay staffbot ig.

RheaMad_14
Filch is kinda reliant on speed procs which makes things icky (for example, the chapter 7 hero crest requires 17 speed to steal and Filch joins with 12 speed so she requires like 5 speed procs in 4 maps just to be able to steal it. Her speed growth is 70% so you’ll need 7-8 levels on average so glhf feeding her that much kills lol). Given that Filch isnt exactly the best combat unit for the entire game this kinda degenerates into having to feed her kills just so she can steal stuff, and it’s annoying to deal with when she’s your only thief in the entire game and there’s stealables almost every map. Stealing gems is also required to get money since income is pretty much non existent otherwise. Just a bit too much reliance on her utility when she can easily fall short, not fun to deal with. Just for that example, I had to turtle on chapter 7 to feed kills to Filch just so she can steal the Hero Crest.

RheaMad_22
Kinda okay filler and less frustrating to use than Forz ig. His problem is Horace joining relatively soon after he does and so he doesnt get much time in the spotlight.

RheaMad_06
Finally someone with actual bases in a while. Mute is really cool and I decided to go SM instead of Ranger since it fits more thematically imo. Works either way since she can easily get crits to cheat out some kills.

RheaMad_03
Joins as a flier with solid stats which is nice to have. I think he’d have been the run’s carry if not for Hartmann, but he still puts in good amount of work. On that note though maybe it’s just me but promotion to WL felt weak compared to WK, lances doesnt really make up for WK’s gains when you already have axes, but whatever works I suppose.

RheaMad_15
I actually think this is a pretty interesting integration of story and gameplay concept with Myron having 0 resistance in exchange for some pretty nice stats everywhere else. Great filler as long as you keep him away from mages, which isn’t too bad when you get a horse.

RheaMad_18
Shouzou does Shouzou stuff. Solid unit ngl, with a PRF tome and good bases. He is a bit reliant on getting crits with Luna early on to kill stuff though and makes chapter 10 a bit annoying given that he has to do a good amount of the offense here as well.

RheaMad_13
Laguna being an Est wasnt really what I expected, though her exp gain is kinda slow-ish which makes feeding her hard. The way she’s set up is a bit like Wolf/Sedgar from Shadow Dragon (prepromote growth units), but Laguna doesnt really have the option of say, reclassing into General here, so she’s squishy and has to be babied to get anywhere. At least the payoff is good.

RheaMad_07
Second flier and from what I know you get 2 Fili Shields in this game which is nice to put for both fliers. Didn’t get the c12 one unfortunately but well, it’s not too bad. Solid stats and can instant promote to help out. Very nice unit to have around.

RheaMad_20
mfw doubled by enemies on join map. That aside he has okay speed (it’s just his join map that’s troublesome to handle) and can be used as filler combat for a while.

RheaMad_09
And here I thought there was only one Est in this game. That said her exp gain is freakishly fast, but she requires being fed a lot of kills which can be a big investment. At some point though, she can get kills on her own with Overflow crits, so it’s not too bad.

RheaMad_08
idk lol fates mercenary guy is kinda filler as it is. fwiw though he does an alright job at it so not too bad.

RheaMad_10
Her bases aren’t too good at this point of the game imo but she can do alright damage and has some decent speed/bulk for a while.

RheaMad_11
Pretty amazing. Alto has alright bulk due to her high HP and speed while having the offense to back it up as well as A bows, which is nice for 3 range silver bow chips.

RheaMad_16
Definition of filler ig. 13 speed is kinda yikes tho

Also, one random bug I found: on chapter 16 the fleets can go onto land which I’m pretty sure shouldn’t be happening.
RheaMad_01

First of all, thanks for playing and giving feedback. I thought I was the only guy that got stat-screwed Lawrences. You definitely have the most bizarre growth spread I have seen so far, so kudos. Hartmann is definitely not supposed to be that good usually. I think the main thing is that I opted to go with the “have good and bad characters” style of party design, but don’t have that many characters, so it definitely feels like there’s some forced picks at times.

I’ll fix the fleet thing, that’s actually kinda hilarious. The reason that happens is that in vanilla FE8, fleets actually use the same terrain modifiers as pirates, and the maps are just designed so that there’s no way for a fleet to access a land tile. I’ll post an update with the movement pointers split for the classes.

Lastly, wyvern lord gains armor to prevent bow effectiveness (at the cost of armor effectiveness). This is admittedly redundant if you double fili, but it helps even things out otherwise. I just wanted to mention that one explicitly since it is brought up in the class description, but I doubt most people would expect that.

2 Likes

Wtf
My lawrence was totally the opposite of yours (as I relied on him the most in the hack)
Halberdier had pierce and 15 crit so I basically can use him to clear a whole chap(and his str skill spd capped )
(Ofc lv20 promote)

Hi everyone!

Since I released this hack as “complete”, I haven’t ever really made an update post. Still, FEE3 is underway and since I submitted my project, I figured I should do something.

Dragon Herald’s FEE3 video was accidentally posted an entire timeslot early, which gave me inspiration for my update. Byrd has universally been the character I’ve received the most negative feedback about in terms of gameplay. She’s an armor knight with all of the associated weaknesses, and magic is introduced fairly early as an enemy option. I have been reluctant to seriously change anything in regards to character balance because I am of the personal opinion that character imbalance is part of the FEGBA fun. Still, I figured Byrd should get a boost at some point since she’s the only fieldable armor knight in the game.

Therefore, in honor of the Dragon Herald FEE3 presentation being released early, I’ve decided to make Byrd join at level 9 (and improved her base stats accordingly). This is, non-coincidentally, the level that Oswin joins at in Blazing Blade, and I figured it would be a relatively safe change considering that most people were already not using her and therefore funneling XP into the other units to begin with.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to additional undiscovered bug reports from new players lmao

1 Like

I don’t know why, but I’m stuck in Ch1. I want to use the key to open the door, but there’s no “key” button to use. And I clean up all the enemies, the door still close.

Help, I stuck in Ch1. ><

Can you send me your save file?

Also, which version are you using? The latest patch? If not, let me know on which day you downloaded so I can most accurately see what the problem is.

I discovered what the issue was actually, dumb mistake on my part.

.ups is updated in dropbox, re-patch and you should be able to continue from your current save.

Please let me know if there is any other issue. Thanks for your feedback!

Thank you very much! The newest version is OK.
Keep playing~

1 Like

I have another question about the class… Can anyone tell me what is the skill “Guided” (Class: Crusader) mean? I test it in the battle, it appear when the Crusader attack enemy, but the launch rate is low (Skill/2 %, I guess) and I don’t know what the effect is(The damage seems not improve).

It’s renamed Sure Shot, I think. Just means that if it activates, the attack is guaranteed to hit.

1 Like

Yep, that’s right. I just renamed it to have it give more of a divine flavor.

Get it, thanks!

I just wanted to say I’m having a good bit of fun with this and currently looking into doing a Let’s Play on this romhack now that I’ve played up to the end of Chapter 3 off screen. The early game is really fun and well designed and the story shows a lot of promise. Looking forward to seeing more!

1 Like

Hey, glad you’re having fun, and thanks for playing! Let me know if you have a link for your LP later on, I’d love to check it out.

1 Like

Just hopping in to say that you’ve developed a ‘cult following’ within the TDAWS hack server since your appearance in the Krash commentary, thank you for your chill attitude and approach.

4 Likes

I can’t find Victor in Ch20. Does it need to actually let Hartmann “talk” to Victor in Ch3, so Victor will appear in Ch20? I think I just let Hartmann fight Victor in Ch3, then let other win Victor so I can finish Ch3.

It’s a little sad that I can’t recruit all the people…

Yeah, that’s one of the harder ones, it’s marked as a spoiler on the recruitment guide.

Details

You have to talk with Victor using Hartmann, and then additionally also fight Victor with Hartmann afterwards.

1 Like

Ok, then. Sadly…