FIRE EMBLEM - Code of the Black Knights: Decisive Edition (30 chapters)

Just finished CH 23, and I have to say, 22 and 23 were a hell of a ride!

Summary

And about the Rune Shard- is this the only one we get in the game? Am I only able to promote one unit in my army to Tier 3, or will there be others? The description the game gave before giving it to me indicated that they’d be super limited, but I might’ve been misinterpreting that.

1 Like

They are limited, but you should still use them as soon as you get them if you have level 20 units, since rune shards aren’t the only T3 promotion method. So by the end of the game you don’t need to worry about leaving units unpromoted :smiley:

1 Like

Oh, okay cool! I didn’t want to say it, but I did think it would be weird if you implemented working T3 classes for all units, and then made the player choose like, 3 or 4 of them out of the whole army to promote.

Nobody’s 20/20 yet, but I have a few who are 18 or 19, so they’ll be ready in the next chapter.

2 Likes
Thoughts on EX2 (Contains Spoilers):

Regarding accessing EX2 on the earliest possible opportunity- I don’t recommend doing it because it seems like (and statistically, it really does look like) the enemies are all scaled for a level that is currently well beyond my paygrade to accomplish currently given what I have available.

Long story short, I’m going to retreat back from this to an earlier save file, save Flynn, and go from there, especially since I don’t lose anything doing so at this point. (Especially since it doesn’t seem like there’s any real story changes that result from it).

My guess is that the version of Route C I chose is designed for parties that have the party with about two more chapters worth of exp- and so was balanced accordingly- so without this boost, my party as a result suffered for it.

1 Like
Question regarding Alliser

How much did he legitimately care for his mother? Just asking.

1 Like
Alliser

Enough to start a carreer as a politician out of spite against the newly-instaurated government, so, he cared a lot…

1 Like

Has anyone been able to get S rank in Chapter 27B?

It seems purely rng dependent based on the lack of preparations screen and how and where your units show up.

Saving the villagers and while visiting the villages before they get destroyed :sweat: :sweat:

The reward for S Ranks should be much better based on how difficult this is.

1 Like

Chapter 21 is a tad bit annoying. I really like this hack but i really DISLIKE the idea of enemy reinforcement arriving & attacked on the SAME TURN without any hint or warning. Can you kindly revise this chapter. Bad design even if i occupy all forts enemies still spawn without any notice.

At the very least the enemies shouldnt cover such a terrible distance after they spawn. My assasin is foots away from the castle in upper left when he got picked off by the mage & knight gangbanging him in a turn. Its really cheap.

1 Like

There are some enemies in that chapter who appear even if you block all the forts. I can’t remember why I did something like that when the chapter is already hard enough : /

That said, there are hints and warnings.
The houses, as well as the augury say, specifically, that enemies will appear from the forts unless you block them. Aditionally, the augury also states that enemies will appear from the left or the right (Depends on which version you’re playing). It’s not the best method, but at least it’s not completely up in the air.

If more reasons to make a revision pop up, such as a game-breaking bug, I’ll change this spawn pattern along with it for sure, but otherwise this will remain as the final version.

1 Like

Just finished my first playthrough of this! Gotta say, the whole thing was amazing from start to finish.

Sure, some of the chapters were frustrating, but I was expecting this game to be a challenge, and it didn’t disappoint.

Best unit(s) Schwarze, Noire, Maria, Elizabeth. Elizabeth capped defense as a bishop. First time I’ve ever seen that happen.

And I got one of the good endings too! So proud of myself for not dooming everyone. Ending: Beyond Peaceful Seas.

I’m gonna take a break from this game for a while, but I will eventually play the other routes.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comment!
Congratulations on almost, but not quite dooming the world! :partying_face:

1 Like

Hello? Um, yeah. The game crashes with an ear-piercing buzz whenever I attempt to promote Oliver and I’m not happy about it. I’m on Chapter 13 and using VisualBoyAdvance as my emulator.

EDIT: Never mind. Putting the Supply Whistle back in the Convoy first allowed me to promote him properly. Still, I’m guessing this must be new, because while Supply Whistles are mentioned to screw with promoting, they’re only said to cause visual bugs and not crash the whole game.

1 Like

Hello! First post here, I completed the game recently and wanted to give my review/feedback (I beat the A route and currently stuck in B endgame, more on that later)

My favorite thing about this hack, and what made me play it in the first place, is that your choices actually matter! I love the multiple route splits and decisions you have to take during the game. I am sure it has a lot of work behind it. Now onto more things that I liked:

Both protagonists are great, Noir in particular. They were my best units by far, and had great character development (I also A supported them and they married, don’t know if that happens regardless or just if you do the supports).
Also the secondary cast was very good. I love how present they are through the whole story, and I think everyone has a great “unit feel”. They are all fun to use and have different niches (except the bazillion mages lol). Besides the main characters, my favs were Hermes, Mithra and Cecil.
The interludes and more experimental maps like the explore ones were pretty cool and creative. Really helps with the pacing and to create more variety.

Now onto things I am more lukewarm about (as constructive criticism):
The dialogue is a bit hit or miss. I can’t exactly pinpoint the issues since I am not a native speaker, but I feel like there are some tonal differences that sometimes stick out. On the other hand, most supports are fine and don’t tend to have this problem.
Map design is overall good, but there are some problems for me: first of all, the maps are way too big with too much empty space. I think big maps can be cool, but I feel like the size is sometimes miss used. The second thing is enemy placement. I think it is a bit overkill how absurdly close the enemies are to your starting positions (in many maps they are even adjacent to some deployment slots). This makes the few first turns a nightmare to survive in a lot of maps, and why I couldn’t field my frailer units like the dancer during the midgame. If I managed to complete the game was thanks to Blaise and summoner Mia to draw aggro, but I honestly don’t know how players without them survive the initial onslaught.
Zero. I am sorry but he takes me out of the game so hard. At first I didn’t know that Lumae was supposed to be in “our” world, so when this dude appeared I just could’t take him seriously because he broke my suspension of disbelief. I know he is the type of character that many people will love, but for me he just destroyed my immersion.

Now I want to finish with a quick comparison between routes A and B from a purely gameplay perspective (from a story perspective, both work and I have no issues there). A is in my opinion way better. You have a first easy map to catch up your units, a big field battle and the tower chapter, which might be one of my favorites for how it forces you to manage your army and how the map opens up (I mostly warped my way through, but it was a cool concept. The only thing I think may be an oversight is how the green units can be in enemy range and be left defenseless. Do they actually die??). Endgame is tough as nails because it splits your army and I had not enough competent units for each branch, but the middle is open for your lords to win in 3 turns without much hustle.
Then you have route B. First map is “okay”, but for how creative the concept was the design didn’t bring it home. I don’t know how you can do a chase sequence in a fire emblem map, but maybe not like that? The next map is where I have most issues tho. A force deployment without prep screen in endgame is plain cruel. I didn’t use Maria, Zero, Elisabeth nor Hazel, so half my army was a liability (they were even disarmed). It reminded me of Hunting by Daybreak in the worst way possible. Next map was easy, except I pushed south too hard and all the enemies appeared on my back (I thought that if you killed the gorgon on the throne they would’t summon. My fault I guess). After that another big field battle. And then endgame B. I am literally unable to clear this chapter. The endless reinforcements from the south are relentless, the green units don’t stop them for half a turn, and they are all mounted so they will catch up quickly. The game tells you to hurry, but then you get sandwitched by the final boss (who can one round everyone depending on RNG thanks to adept). Unless there is some catch here, I don’t see how you beat this map, and it could use some tuning. Also my convoy bugged for some reason, with half my items disappearing and a bunch of poison axes replacing them (lol).

Overall, sorry for the end rant, it was just my most recent experience with the hack, but I enjoyed it a lot! And I want this to be as good as it can be. It just surprised me how much better I found route A. As for the early, I wish I could say more, but I sadly don’t remember it in so much detail. I liked it a lot, for what is worth. Great work on this hack!

2 Likes

First of all, welcome to FEU!

Thanks for the comment, I’m glad you enjoyed the game overall, and I think all of your points are valid. I’ll try to explain some of the decisions I made while designing the maps:

I understand there are some grammar issues. I’m not a native speaker either, so these things can happen from time to time :sweat_smile:
That said, most of the embarassing typos were fixed over time. I also had help from the community with pointing them out.
Ironically, I thought people would not like supports as much as the main dialogue (I was really tired of writing supports halfway through, so I was really worried it would negatively affect the quality of their writing)

I was really a fan of how most of Path of Radiance’s maps included a “Cause as much damage as possible in the first turn” dynamic, so I tried to emulate that. That’s why there is high enemy density near the starting positions.

To be honest, I think route A ended up more polished gameplay-wise because it was tested more than route B. However, from a story perspective (In my opinion), Route B is my favorite due to it having way higher emotional stakes.

This is the second hardest chapter in the entire game, so don’t worry if you have trouble. Here are some tips:

• Leaving one or two strong units behind in order to reduce the south ambushers is not a bad idea, especially in hard mode where the green units can’t be trusted to hold out for too long.
  • Schwarze and Noir are immune to the Adept proc, as long as they’re holding their personal weapons. Mithra doesn’t take any damage from it, either.
  • Physical units that can perform multiple attacks, and HP-percentage damage effects such as Hermes’ savage blow, are great to deal with the final boss due to its enormous HP pool.
  • Druids (Specifially druids) have a skill called “Tomebreaker”, which affects the boss enormously, since its weapon is considered a light tome. You can then attack the boss with heavy spells such as Luna, even with weapon disadvantage.
  • Finally, not everyone is likely to survive. You should accept the fact that you might have to make a few sacrifices.

I think that’s all the advice I can give you. Again, thanks a lot for playing :smiley:

2 Likes

That explains why because i always skip the village dialogue and augury!! However i never skip the storyline. Next time i shall pay more attention thanks for the prompt reply :+1:t3:

1 Like

I really need to get back into playing this; didn’t actually know that about the Adept proc though not affecting Mithra.

I will say though that, although it’s difficult (and may require a bit of judicious save-state usage here and there) it is more than possible (if extremely frustrating at times) to beat Code of the Black Knights on Hard Mode. Even if your units get minorly stat-screwed (looking at you, Hermes!)

I still think Hall is awful; though that might just be my personal bias more than anything.

Protip: During the Al-Hadar arc, set some money aside for a Hoplon Guard if you can, and invest in a Swordreaver if you can, and maybe an armorslayer too. Forget the Scythe Axes; those are nice but they’re ultimately a novelty.

Some Spoiler-y Stuff of my Own:

If he had THIS bad a time in Endgame B, and the hardest chapter is Ex1, hoo boy, Route D is gonna be a nightmare for him…

Hermes was a MVP though on that one. Grey is, with some strategic use of Rally Speed + Spectrum and Elizabeth backing him up alongside some other shennanigans really good at also doing damage to the boss via Grisly Wound. A sufficiently trained Zero (or, as it turns out, Maria) could also do major damage with the Killer Ballistas.

That said, I do remember something else that I may have forgotten to mention- although Elias has a lot of HP, could you please give him a Hoplon Guard so that he doesn’t run the risk of being one-rounded by an Adept proc from the boss? It’s kinda irritating when he gets one-shot by something you have no control over.

1 Like

You can skip the augury, but never skip the village dialogue if you haven’t seen it before. Especially since some of it hides some rather… important notes, shall we say.

1 Like

I don’t really think there’s much need to give him a hoplon guard, you can use a rescue or warp staff to pull the green unit out of danger.

1 Like

I can see a Rescue staff, but tbh pulling the Green Unit out of its range is kind of a bad idea since the AI of the boss targets him primarily- which is a godsend because if it didn’t do that, well…

Bad Joke warning:

Pick a God and Pray.

1 Like

Woah, I never tried that :sweat_smile:
But still, I feel like, considering he has provoke, if I gave him a hoplon guard it would be an easy win button (He has so much health that if he is not one-rounded, you can eliminate enemy phase just by spamming heals on him). So at least there should be some risk to avoid encouraging over-reliance on that unit.

1 Like