Fenriel's Works

These knights are always lovely to see, do you think you could work on more portraits like these? They are so nice!

thanks, i probably will do some more, it’s just that between work and hobby my time is quite limited, so if i decide to do some stuff involving sprites, i mainly do it in the weekend if i’m inspired enough.
for example, i’m working on a variant right now for that knight up there 'cause i got some time to spare, maybe i’ll post the results later or tomorrow.

[edit] well, the variant is done. finished earlier than expected:

Elden Ring - Queen's Knight variant Fenreir

kinda looks a bit more feminine than the full armor version due to the blond hair, but it’s still a somehow decent alternative.

now, if you’ll excuse me, i shall take my leave as i’m required elsewhere.
Stormveil castle awaits~

4 Likes

little update: since the main gallery post has become a pain in the ass to update due to sprites overload( no joke, it took me ages to edit the post in order to add the last mugs up there ), i decided to stop updating that.
as alternative, i started a secondary gallery a couple of posts down below the first one, so all the new material will be archived there.

also, here’s another Elden Ring inspired mug, dubbed “Arcane Knight”:

Elden Ring - Arcane Knight Fenreir

i consider it to be quite alright, considering the amount of time it took me to polish it and refine the decorations. the light reflections on the armor aren’t that great, but at least they’re there.
the helmet plumes and fur, however, were a true nightmare to paint…like really, i’m not doing that kind of stuff again anytime soon, it almost made my eyes bleed pixels :sweat_smile:

well then, back to slaying dragons we go~

11 Likes

Promoted Chrom

mmh…can you guess who this is? i think it’s a lord or something…
the base lineart seems ok though, it just needs some more polish here and there.
now the big question is: do i want to color all of it?
and the answer is: NOPE. it’s just a concept study bois, don’t be silly.

well, maaaybe i will color it someday. maybe. eventually. when i’ll be inspired enough.
unless someone else does it before me, but who in their sane mind would take the challenge anyway, right guys? ahah yeah ok cool, byeee~

15 Likes

Yoooo that looks sick :eyes:

1 Like

Amazing as always!

1 Like

by the way, a reminder for you folks: all the DLCs for the 3DS era games will eventually be lost forever once the Nintendo E-Shop will shut down next year.
but that’s not all, because the current available content will get locked way earlier than that.
infos taken from Serene’s:

" Today Nintendo announced that eShop support for Wii U and 3DS platforms will be discontinued as of March 2023.
As of May 23, 2022, You will not be able to add funds using your credit or debit cards to your Nintendo eShop account for the Wii U or 3DS. Additionally, as of August 29, 2022, you will not be able to add funds using Nintendo eShop Cards to your Nintendo eShop account for the Wii U or 3DS. "

therefore, you better hurry up if you’re still interested in getting some extra content like additional classes or other stuff while there’s still time.

this also reminds me that sadly i wasn’t able to get the Limited Edition 3DS with Awakening’s theme when it was released many years ago…

Good old Nintendos

however, as i’m pretty much a self-taught graphic designer of sorts, i recently managed to make some Awakening decals for my own 3DS.
i also decided to share the template here too because why not, some of you might be interested in printing some of these stickers.
the measures are already set for the external 3DS front cover of the console( the very first version, NOT the XL, mind you ), but if you’re using these as stickers, it shouldn’t be a problem anyway.

i know it’s not pixel art, but hey, at least it’s always FE related!
here’s the 13x6 cm template with all cover icons, ready for printing:

might as well post some photos of my little treasure later on.
well then, enjoy~

[edit] and here’s the real life showcase:

on a sidenote: i probably should’ve cut the lower border of the front cover around the camera edges, rather than going for straight lines.
using that kind of cut instead of following console shapes wasn’t a great idea after all, because it shows and it’s visually…awkward.
the back stickers are quite fine though.

overall, i’m quite satisfied with the results. it was an interesting experiment :smile:

5 Likes

if you’ve followed my works for a while, you might have realized by now that sometimes i tend to be a little, how to say, “masochist” in terms of actual sprite work.

in fact, i kind of…uhm…well, let’s just say that there’s this thing down here that i’ve been polishing and refining for a while:

Exalted Chrom Fenreir

i’m quite satisfied with the basic frame, as it actually looks complete as it is, unlike my previous drawing sketch.
you could say that this is a true portrait by all means, probably one of the very rare times when i decide to do huge sprites like this dude.
so yeah, i guess it’s going to get colored eventually, someday.
however, i probably won’t be doing something huge like this again anytime soon, unless there will be some planets alignment or whatever.
i will probably resume work on knights mugs later on, we’ll see.
inspiration comes and goes, after all~

12 Likes

“I will not fail!”

Fire Emblem Awakening - Exalted Chrom Fenreir

this one really took a good amount of my time.
as usual, i ended up reaching 14 colors out of the traditional 16 for GBA sprites, but since i’m barely decent at shading i said “eeeh whatever” and went ahead by adding 4 more colors for the jewels on the shield, reaching an amount of 18 colors in total. not legit, but it will have to do anyway.
overall it’s not that bad, but i have yet much to learn in terms of shading and light reflexes :thinking:

also, while we’re at it, would you rather have a new mug about:

• Blaidd from Elden Ring (the man-wolf knight, aka living Berserk reference)
  • a dragon knight, always inspired by Elden Ring armor sets

0 voters

well, guess we’re done here. until next time~

9 Likes

well well, apparently there’s an almost equal need for Blaidd and the dragon knight. guess i’ll just do both then.

meanwhile, after checking my older portraits, i decided to do a small restoration and update some OCs of mine that i posted long ago, so now they all have proper mini mugs( since “the last promise” kind of minis have become an obsolete meme ) and a palette a bit more in line with the dark purple used for FE GBA last gen mugs.
anyway, here they are:

Sigfrey | Sophia (default + smile) | Lancelot

Sigfrey-Fenreir Fenreir-Sophia-default Fenreir-Sophia-smile Fenreir-Lancelot

Shin | Heiken | Rei

Fenreir-Shin Fenreir-Heiken Fenreir-Rei

2 Likes

“Let’s meet where the falling star bit the earth. And we’ll go into battle again, side by side. My only purpose is to fight for Ranni’s fate, sword and fang.”

Elden Ring - Blaidd battle stance Fenreir

here’s the closeup of my take on Blaidd, aka best boi in Elden Ring.
base sprite would be Hector, everything else i spliced, edited and customized by myself:

B demo

Reference material

and here’s a conversation background with Ranni the Witch, because why not:

Elden Ring - Ranni and Blaidd cutscene

the portrait will come as well, in due time.
spriting fur is quite challenging, you know.

9 Likes

apparently i’m in a temporary revamp phase, so i guess i’ll update some more old portraits from Final Fantasy VII and VIII.
same treatment as the previous ones, now they’ve been given a proper mini mug and an overall improved palette with minor fixes on mouth/eyes frames:

FF VII: Cloud | Zack | Aerith | Sephiroth

FF VII - Cloud Fenreir FF VII - Zack Fenreir FF VII - Aerith Fenreir FF VII - Sephiroth Fenreir

FF VIII: Squall (classic + KH variant)

FF VIII - Squall Fenreir KH - Leon Fenreir

3 Likes

Am I looking at FF/KH + FE splices? Bro… that’s kinda epic. Most people wouldn’t splice FE with stuff from outside the series for mugs

1 Like

well, i guess there’s always a first time for everything.
after checking some stuff from other artists around here, oddly enough i got inspired to the point i decided to edit some FE Sacred Stones maps out of curiosity.
this is what i managed to come up with after a couple of hours. not too shabby, if i say so myself.
however, these are probably not the traditional kind of maps that most of you are used to, so you might be in for a surprise:

[FE8 custom maps] Dragon Altar | Dragon Tower | Zodiac Temple | Astral Tower | Lunar Castle

Dragon Altar Fenreir Dragon Tower Fenreir

Zodiac Temple Fenreir Astral Tower Fenreir

Lunar Castle Fenreir

…aaand back to portraits we go~

16 Likes

Was this done with actual tiles or something like photoshop?

both, actually.
all these maps come from FE8 chapters, some with minor edits, some with major edits.
the unusual thing that i added in all of these was the background sky, something that sadly i don’t see used often around here.
this kind of setup has quite a lot of potential when used properly with a good perspective, since it gives room for some epic scenery.
however, since it works mostly with cliffs, mountains, towers or any other kind of high spot area, the uses it has are quite limited, so it’s probably better to save them for unique chapters involving critical points of a story development, major bosses or stuff like that.

4 Likes

Right, but were the tilesets themselves actually edited to make these maps insertable, or were the maps just edited as images.

guess i’ll just explain a bit further in order to clarify. going by steps:
» i removed a good amount of 16x16 tiles from the maps in order to make room for the background sky, turning those tiles from visible to transparent;
» i took backgrounds that already had a maximum of 16 colors in their palette, then i inserted them while manually changing the palette of all the other map tiles in order to match the sky color( see the sunset or night maps for example );
» then i made some minor edits in order to make specific tiles details popping up( the reflections of the water below the night sky, some borders of walkable stone tiles, etc );
» after putting together everything and customizing it, i made a .png image with the result.

as for the sky tiles, if you were looking for single 16x16 tiles from those backgrounds, i’m sorry but they do not exist on their own.
i simply used some images that i already posted before, wich you can find in my gallery up in the first post of this topic.
feel free to turn them into 16x16 tiles, if you want to use them for maps.

also, as i’m not really into working with FEBuilder and the likes, i simply stick to edit images because that’s the method i mainly work with, since it’s always been what i’ve done so far for any kind of sprites that involve .png files.

made some variations of previously posted maps from FE8, plus some new ones too because why not:

Dragon Temple ( altered variant / altered variant + goddess )

Dragon Temple v2 Fenreir Dragon Temple v3 Fenreir

Star Temple ( 1st floor / 2nd floor )

Star Temple 1st floor Fenreir Star Temple 2nd floor Fenreir

Moon Temple ( 1st floor variant / 3rd floor )

Moon Temple 1st floor Fenreir

Moon Temple 3rd floor Fenreir

these should be enough examples for sky background setups, at least for the time being.
̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶c̶k̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶i̶ ̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶e̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶f̶u̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶u̶n̶k̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶i̶x̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶m̶i̶d̶n̶i̶g̶h̶t̶?̶?̶?̶

7 Likes

Are these possibly free to use? (making it into a tileset for the most part is what I mean, I also don’t have to worry about the 16 color limit)