Fenriel's Works

I’m getting sudden Fusion vibes from this.

this one really took a good amount of time. between polishing all the little details and trying to do proper shading, i was literally going nuts.
at least, in the end it turned out quite fine. not too shabby, if i say so myself.
here’s my latest work on Metroid, and of course it’s gonna be the girl, the myth, the legend, Samus Aran in her glorious Zero Suit:

5 Likes

Amazing

I feel that the shading on her everything needs work, in that she doesn’t really fit the GBA art style. She looks sort of… glossy?

But hey, better to have a ZS Samus than not have one!

that’s probably because i actually made the sprite from zero (ahah, made a pun) and added the colors after working on the lineart.
i’m still not quite there when it comes to shading, especially because i started by working with only 2 colors as default (main + shadow), so i’m still trying to get used to GBA rules.
usually those have a minimum of 3 colors each for skin, hair and clothes, so by adding lineart and background color, that’s already 11 colors on the sprite, wich become 12 if you also add white reflections.
then you got 4 colors left that you can eventually use however you want, mainly to cover details such as the eyes, lips and secondary layers of clothes and armors.

on a side note: since we’re already talking about it, there are some kind of “stages” when it comes to spriting in general. they can be all resumed into the following:

• beginner: you start with palette swaps. nothing complicated, just to get used to working on colors;
  • intermediate: once you’re confident enough, you move on to splicing. that way you can start creating your own mugs by borrowing pieces from other pre-existing works;
  • advanced: when you’ll eventually get tired of splicing, you’ll probably want to move further and start making your own sprites. most people start by doing first the lineart of the sprite just to have a basic layout to work with, and then proceed to fill it with colors while trying to do proper shading;
  • expert: same as before, but without the lineart. you just let the inspiration guide you, as much as doing a real painting, but with pixels;
  • pro: you actually get to the level of Nickt, BuskHusker or Melia for example, and you start doing crazy stuff with sprites.

then again, having natural talent for both drawing and coloring/painting sure helps, otherwise it’s all about working hard to improve.
if i gotta be honest, i consider myself to be at the advanced stage, but since i’ve never been much into shading and light reflexes, i try to do what i can.
i could have spliced some stuff from the usual FE mugs, but since i got tired of using those sprites thousands of times to death and beyond, i decided to try making new stuff on my own for a change.

4 Likes

do you like mechs? i sure do, so here’s a custom Weissritter from Super Robot Wars Original Generations:

2 Likes

I do! Mechs are awesome!

1 Like

gotta admit, i’m quite inspired at the moment thanks to Armored Core, so here’s another mech from SRW OG2, a custom version of Alteisen:

the shoulders are pretty much standard in terms of design, but at least those can be easily customized with symbols, mechanic details, etc.
plus, mechs with antennas pointing backward are always cool.

more mechs from SRW OG2, this time it’s the R-1:

kinda smaller compared to the others, but better than nothing i guess.
maybe i’ll do one more and then be done with mechs for a while~

3 Likes

last mech from the SRW OG2 session, here’s the R_Blade type:

out of all 4 of these, Alteisen is probably the one i like the most, even if it looks a bit clunky.
also, since apparently there’s not much interest in this kind of material except for some people, i guess i’ll take a break for the time being and go back in lurking mode.
i’ll eventually make more of these sci-fi sprites when i’ll be inspired enough.

2 Likes

and here’s Sparkster from Rocket Knight Adventures:

if i keep doing armored characters, i think i’ll eventually turn into a plate armor myself one of these days…

5 Likes

more heavy armored characters on the way; i know, i know, it’s my weakness.
anyway, here comes Ryo Sanada from Ronin Warriors( default + variant ):

lately i’ve been picking mainly subjects with ridiculous armors, wearing either oversized helmets or shoulder plates bigger than a truck.
then i remember that the portrait window is very limited, and the nightmare of fixing armor sizes begins again…
i tried to do my best with shading, but apparently i can’t paint well enough yet. at least, not at the same level of vanilla FE mugs.
well, still better than nothing i guess :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

The next step after porting the entire console and mobile’s universe into GBA FE will be porting the entire flash games universe into FE :v. Your work looks awesome as always man!

that would be…quite massive to accomplish, actually :sweat_smile:
thing is, i usually try to avoid doing stuff that has already been done and submitted to the repo, unless i’m really inspired and willing to make my own version of a specific subject.
it’s not like i only focus on doing stuff that’s missing from the repo though, because i do stuff only when i get enough inspiration from different sources, be them animes or videogames.
or sometimes, if i find someone else working on interesting concepts, like my recent collaboration with SHYUTERz for example.

as for my style, i’m certainly not at professional level like some other spriters around here.
i would say i’m slightly above average, but that’s it really. practice does eventually bring improvement though~

2 Likes

tried to experiment a bit more with shading.
apparently it did not go as planned, so i had to rework the whole lineart multiple times before getting to this point.
it’s not as glossy as the other one, but…there’s not much improvement either. shading isn’t really my thing sadly :neutral_face:
anyway, here’s another samurai from Ronin Warriors, this time it’s Seiji Date:

i’ll probably end up spriting all 5 of them, soon or later~

2 Likes

damn, my gallery is becoming really overloaded with stuff.
anyway, made a couple battle stances for the previous Ryo Sanada:

a little upscaling for the details:

6 Likes

another couple of battle stances, this time for Seiji Date:

adding details as well:

going back in lurking mode now, at least until inspiration comes up again~

2 Likes

[ update ]

» reorganized the main topic yet again for overall better view of the sub-categories.
now there’s even more dedicated sections for each type of asset.

» reworked the Metroid battle frame prototype once more.
in order to make the UI a bit more dynamic and the background more visible, some details have been changed and merged with other elements:

» currently working on another mecha sprite inspired by Armored Core 2. it will be available in the next update.

» regarding new material: due to previous complaints, from now on the new assets that i’ll eventually provide will no longer be featured in the repository topic until further notice.
certainly not until i’ve gathered enough material, and by “enough” i mean at least ten or so sprites.

you can still get access to all my old and new stuff just by checking the main gallery in this topic, so that should do for the time being.

2 Likes

Huh, neat!

2 Likes

just finished playing with Armored Core 2: Another Age, and it’s really been a blast from the past.

also, inspired by this franchise, i made Leos Klein’s mech from the original AC2.
it took me a couple of days to polish and complete, but the ending result isn’t too bad.
i think i’m starting to get the hang of shading little by little. anyway, here’s the big boi:

[default]

[visor variant]

and here’s the source material:

Summary

…and that’s all for this year, folks.
i’ll make some stuff again whenever i’ll be inspired enough~

1 Like