FEE3 Hype Thread

The Heroes we Deserve stands alone as the most widely acclaimed “parody hack”, as few others aim for humor and absurdity in a way that isn’t heavily meme driven and done so at such a high level of quality.

Cool to see how you can use the FE formula to make something that tonally feels like a major departure from the series, while using its mechanics to create a fun gameplay experience.

8 Likes

The Heroes We Deserve. The Greatest Meme and Joke Hack that ever existed which is so legendary that it could secretly surpass The Last Promise.

1 Like

This game has so much text, and to see Kaga’s 2005 PS2 entry translated is awesome. Aethin and their team did a great job. In my opinion, while Berwick may be best known for its hexagons and wild mechanics, the writing generally stands out, and being able to play this translated into English is a treat.

As a hack designer, seeing something that still feels like FE while making so many departures from staple design choices is incredibly helpful in figuring out what works and what doesn’t. Glad I had the opportunity to play it, and I probably would not have tried it out without this patch.

12 Likes

Also Best Girl™ is still on the thumbnail. :sunglasses:

1 Like

In addition to being hilarious, I think it’s really cool that Super Thracia was translated so soon after Thracia itself. It really goes to show how much the community respects where it came from, even if that origin may involve unplayable levels of stat inflation and horrendous gimmicks.

5 Likes

Tale of Ternon was the product of community hype surrounding the 2019 release of FE16: Three Houses. It’s pretty amazing the project got this far in a short few months following the release of the game. 3 distinct routes planned out, with custom characters and class sets, equippable items, and color changing for factions.

While the project would ultimately wither, it’s cool to see what was built and wonder what if, but also learn from it.

Could the community rally around a project again like this? We got a glimpse of what that could look like if we all worked together w/ Tale of Ternon.

I’m certainly curious if hackrom fever will strike the community again and spur out a new, ambitious project down the road (ideally with no self-inserts this time).

8 Likes

Today I learned that there FEUniverse has made a really cool hack just out of hype! The fact that in such a short period of time, the community can come up with something as great as this… It leaves me in awe and I kinda hope something like this will happen again. I will definetly take a closer look at this hack, if only to learn about the high quality of it and use it to improve my own project.

I also learned that there once was an FEE3 livestream. It would be awesome to see that again one day as well!

5 Likes

Sometimes the folks who record will live record the submission on stream.

I know many of Mel & Ray’s streams are like this, as was my Ternon one in 2019.

3 Likes

Team SALVAGED is comprised of some of the strongest animators in the community, and they’ve put out a number of high quality animations for the community to use.

I don’t think any animation (besides the Halberdier, of course) has been as widely adopted by the hacking community as their cavalier, shown off here. Thanks to all who work on these and share them with everyone.

9 Likes

For some romhackers, getting their feet wet in the world of game design to create their own game is a goal. For Midnight Sun, the hack became that game.

Midnight Sun was widely regarded as a premier FE8 hack when FE8 hacking was still new, and it’s cool to see holdovers from that story here and that Alfred showed off his project at FEE3 2019.

Even if it isn’t an SRPG anymore, many in the hacking community are keen to see what Path of the Midnight Sun delivers.

12 Likes

Now imagine what life would be like if the creator of Midnight Sun would remain on the path of ROM hacking instead of its own indie game.

1 Like

proof we’re living in the best timeline

Are we talking about the Indie game of Midnight Sun or the ROM hack one?

I’m saying we live in the best timeline because the creator went from creating a rom hack to a full on game they can profit from

1 Like

Oh that make sense.

This one is a personal favorite…

9 Likes

The Man himself, Arch and his Fire Emblem 7 aftermath Side Story of Elibean Nights. It’s really revolutionary to have a ROM hack that is really good future for the FE Universe to being cancelled and then saying it was complete and finally resuming the progress of the story. It’s really memorable to have a ROM hack like that.

At almost every FEE3, there are new projects that dazzle and delight, but there are also projects that show up once, never to return or be heard from again, along with their creators.

We’ve lamented that Dream of Five and Death or Glory never got the conclusion they deserved, as well as that Inheritance of Ash never saw a public release.

For this generation of romhackers, there will certainly be folks who lament that Last Heavenly Throne has joined their ranks of projects asking what if? Sometimes I feel like I am writing obituaries in this thread for the hacks I like that I don’t want to be forgotten.

LHT is cool - crisp art, an almost entirely custom soundtrack, a playable bow armor, and a willingness to push narrative boundaries make it a standout project worth checking out.

17 Likes

And now, we are almost come into full circle in this year’s FEE3.
Time to go mourn the fallen ROM hacks that didn’t make it to its conclusion and fridged into Obscurity. If only we can find a certain ROM hacker will carry the mantle of the ROM hacks that deserves a conclusion so the creators of the ROM hack can pass the torch to them and complete their long time dream.

2 Likes