FEE3 2020: The post-mortem thread. Learnings & opportunities as we head into 2021

FEE3 or SRPGE3?

1 Like

FEFGE3

Fire Emblem Fan Game Electronic Entertainment Expo

Guys I just realized that:

• E3 = Electronic Entertainment Expo
  • Therefore, FEE3 doesn’t make sense.

Really our event should be called:

FE4.

Fire Emblem Electronic Entertainment Expo

TIL

6 Likes

I’m going to keep having negative feelings towards SRPG studio until there’s a decent amount of F2U assets. I’m always completely distracted whenever I see assets be reused over and over again and I can’t associate one thing with another.

With a few years and community support, especially from individuals like MarkyJoe, it could get better, but… like, it has the same problem every RPGMaker title without good community support has.

i agree

1 Like

How to define “Fire Emblem Fan Game” is a problem. If a SRPG game has nothing to do with Fire Emblem, is it a “Fire Emblem Fan Game”?

The projects that we showcased this year built in SRPG studio are Fire Emblem fan games and should not be excluded from the event.

If we start excluding by engine it becomes tricky. SRPG Studio at its core is designed to make Fire Emblem inspired games. LT and FEXNA are the same in this regard, they both just leverage the pretty GBA graphics.

7 Likes

It fits the Simulation RPG genre created by Kaga-sama.

Neither engine nor genre is important. The key point is the connection with Fire Emblem series. If it is related to Fire Emblem series, it is “Fire Emblem Fan Game” no matter which genre, platform or engine. For example, Touhou project has many fan games. Its genre includes STG, FTG, RPG and so on.

2 Likes

Cant wait to showcase my FE fighting game next year

13 Likes

Fix the netcode first

8 Likes

sorry but after discussion with our technical team at length we have found rollback netcode is still literally impossible for no reason. sorry!

11 Likes

Next year FEE3 is just Pandan & Pikmin commentating Marth dittos

12 Likes

As pokemblem creator, I’ll play puff

1 Like

Snake? Snaaaaaake!

Like unironically, something like a smash competition with only FE characters could fit the “gameplay competition” part i was talking about earlier.
Shouldn’t be the focus ofc.

so, how about that fee3?

Here’s my two cents on the “mature topics” thing:
I am strictly against serious topics being treated as a joke. However, such topics, if handled with the seriousness that is required, do
have their part in storytelling in movies, books and games. Fire Emblem, even if it has its comical moments, is a game series about war, and war isn’t the most wholesome thing in the world. Games like The Witcher approach the topic of war much more seriously, and I think Fire Emblem can do it too. There are children watching, yes, but certain hacks do mention that their game has content not suitable for children. Plus, if a 12 year old is on the internet, isn’t it kind of their parent’s fault if the child is left unmoderated and just does what he or she wants on the net? There are a lot worse things on the web.
But don’t take this the wrong way. I am definitely against something like DGE.

6 Likes

As an adult in the community, I strongly believe we should do what we can to protect our members, especially our younger ones. Chastising some 12 year old’s parents for letting them on the internet doesn’t excuse what we allow on our site. We can’t pass the blame in that way, especially when our site isn’t explicitly saying “you must be X age to view”.

I think these topics need to be handled with extreme care (both the violent and the sexual), and oftentimes I think they are handled far too lightly and used in a way that can disturb and offend people.

I will admit that my background in working in HR has made me incredibly sensitive to this kind of stuff (ie would this fly in the workplace?), but I also think we have an opportunity to make the community safer for everyone.

Personally, I do not want to stumble onto projects that have this stuff, and knowing that we do more to discourage its creation or hosting on the site is a good goal to strive for.

8 Likes

Actually, does Discourse have NSFW tags?

We could play with the “categories”.

1 Like