Thanks for the recommendations - I’ll try take a look.
I like Arachne and Lailah so I found uses for them. Arachne was s good late game tank with her final spell, which i think put her around 35+ defenseif I recall. She was taking zero damage from a lot of martial units. Lailah had a useful defense spell for tanking and had range 6 sniping. I really like being able to attack at longe range.
I had Midge and Cecily but i didn’t invest in them because i already had too many units i wanted to use.
To your credit, those final maps still felt different. Kudos on the mermaid undines.
Asked for recommendations for story-focussed hacks to get inspired to work on my own and Deity Device was mentioned. I’m not very far in at all yet but I just had to say that I am loving the writing so far! All the characters feel distinct and well-defined even when they don’t have many lines compared to more traditional storytelling mediums, and the balance between serious themes and lighthearted convos is great. The presentation of various grey moralities especially has me interested in what’s to come!
Felt like Fire Emblem + Tales put together (especially the plot)
Review
Chapter 18 could be a bit harder because by this point, you should already have atleast 3 or more promoted units
Chapter 18x was very easy especially if you promoted Ivan, Bertram and Olga…Boss should be stronger (most likely a promoted unit) You should be able to send items you get to the supply because if your characters were carrying alot of stuff in Chapter 10, they would have to drop the items they get from the enemies…
I like how the story affects which units you could choose in Chapter 22 & 23. It could be an issue for some players who focused on leveling those light and dark users but I think it is a good thing to include.
I like that the story plot is very Tales of Symphonia especially since the Spell system takes from the Tales Games
Calista(Maiden) → Collete(Chosen)
The Blessing —> Renewal of the Great Tree
Very generous with EXP which allows you to level up almost all of the characters which is great. The variety and type of spells in the game really change how you play and makes it feel like a whole new experience compared to normal Fire Emblem games and hacks.
Thanks for playing. I’m glad you had a good time. Some of the Part II maps can be a bit of a cakewalk because I had to account for if the player didn’t use some of the Part 1 units or got them killed. If 18x was full of promoted enemies, it would just become a softlock if the player didn’t use Bertram, Olga, or Ivan in Part 1 but kept them alive. Instead, there are some tougher enemies tucked away, and you can get some silver weapons as a reward for defeating them. It’s just a quirk of how the game is designed.
I hope you have a good time with Saint’s Blood as well.
Made an account to share this. Just finished part two. This is easily the greatest fire emblem game i’ve ever played, and one of my favorite games of all time. The fe4 references caught me off guard and blew my mind. The writing, weapons, classes are all unbeatable. I haven’t been able to put this game down and it’s been amazing. Thank you for making this masterpiece.
Just finished. This was 100% my favorite game all time, as a massive fire emblem fan. The writing is literally amazing and a cried my eyes out at the end. The story was so touching and I really think you could write an amazing book off of it. Not tryna gush but this was the freaking best. I’ve played like every fire emblem gba rom hack and not one was even on the same level as this one. Bravo for making this. My favorite part was Orville for sure.
Thank you. I’m really glad you enjoyed the game. Seeing that a story I wrote had that kind of effect on someone is often the best thing that happens to me on the days it happens. If you didn’t already know, there’s an in-progress sequel called Deity Device: Saint’s Blood that has the first 12 chapters playable, and Cosette and Orville’s descendants are major players in the story.
Hi. I’ve made it to chapter 9, and so far, I’m loving the story. This is the first FE hack where I actually care to find out what happens next, which makes getting stuck all the more infuriating. The massive attack range on the enemies, particularly the starting boss, make it nearly impossible to avoid losing characters. Is there some trick to this map that I’m not getting?
It’s hard for me to give specific advice for how to approach the chapter without knowing how your team has been trained. In general, the passive aura type skills are often very important during this part of the game, and by Chapter 9, I was expecting the player to have a decent grasp of how to use them to “build a fort.” Importantly, units that are adjacent to Arachne and in range of Genitlhomme or Demoiselle from Helen or Luke take -5 damage. Calista’s barrier can also help against the long range light magic. Helen and Luke’s Charisma can increase avoid across the party. Bertram has +20 avoid against all attacks on enemy phase when in Charisma range. Most units attacking your units will be at full HP, so Victor (and Vincent’s) Chivalry skill will most likely be active, so damage reduction on him can be cranked up as high as -7. If Luke is promoted, he gets Inspiration for even more passive damage reduction, but I haven’t ever had Luke promoted before the second half of Chapter 9. But those are all advantages you can give yourself before factoring in whatever supports you might have.
I’m glad you’re enjoying the story, and I hope some of that will help.
To be honest, I’ve barley paid attention to the skills thus far. I must be trying to go at this like a conventional GBA FE game. Thanks for the quick reply, I’ll try following your advise.
Ok so I decided to create an account after playing your hack. The urge of leaving a message was way too strong (this should speaks for itself )
I really wanted to congratulate you and acknowledge the hard work you put into creating this hack.
I have been playing Fire Emblem for over 15 years (OMG already…) and touched to nearly every game of the franchise. Though I enjoy the gameplay, what I look forward to most is the story and character writing/development. And so far, I think only the BL route from 3H made me “feel” things as much as your game. I played most of the other renowned hacks (VQ, Justice and Pride, Requiem…) but your depiction of the character interactions was on a totally different level. You put so much heart into building their personality, and making them relatable.
Especially, I liked how nearly every character had some kind of special conversation or Gaiden to develop their their background. This is something the main franchise can learn a lot from.
In terms of improvement: there was an unexpected difficulty spike in Chapter 9 (which some pointed out). Also I don’t think this game is for people who like physical units (which I thankfully don’t LOL) considering how mages rule the world … A bit of balancing might be good here and there, but it didn’t impact my experience much. I think your intention was to make the game to be story and character driven, not gameplay oriented (unlike a certain FE Conquest ).
I am excited to check out the sequel… though I got so attached to the characters of the first game that I have to overcome separation trauma first
But in any case, you have my compliments and warm gratitude again for allowing me to embark on this journey Hope this game receives more attention in the future !
Quick question: I would REALLY like to check out all the support conversations/special ending dialogs that you implemented, but… as a fulltime worker, I sadly don’t have enough time for multiple playthroughs (can you imagine ).
Is there any way to have access to their transcription ?
Thank you for playing. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.
I think the main issue with Chapter 9 was my trying to make an epic FE4 style battle within FEGBA, which has a much smaller maximum map size, so each “zone” of the battle is pretty small despite the map being very large, and the starting battle against Ceres’s cavalry charge winds up being somewhat cramped. Overall, I was counting on the player wanting to play through the gameplay segments because of the feeling of wanting to participate in a story he had become invested in while making the characters feel like their power level is the same in the story scenes and the gameplay.
I promise that there are plenty of descendants of the characters from this game to keep you company.
The support room in game should be fully unlocked. FEBuilder makes it very easy to access the text in game. Even if you don’t ever plan to make a hack, it has a simple graphic interface that lets you load a game and see what’s in it.
oh no, actually I successfully patched it in patch 3 but I can’t load the .sav file in patch 2 that I saved even though I changed the name and saved it to the same file
You need to be in Chapter 22 or later to use Part 3. The screenshot of Anna that you posted comes up if you try to load a save from before Chapter 22 in Part 3. If you haven’t reached Chapter 22 yet, you need to play Part 2 until the game is saved at Chapter 22.
Also double check that you renamed the correct save. If you loaded Part 3 before renaming your Part 2 save, then your emulator most likely created a new .sav with the same name as the .gba file. I see multiple .sav files in the folder you screenshotted, so make sure one of them isn’t the .sav you’re trying to load.