[FE8] [Removed by Author]

yea unless i can promote her a second time she’s capped out as are some of the other units from chapter 1 (i went and cheese grinded her and another of my weaker units off the very last enemy from part 1 and now i gotta live with my mistake >.<)

1 Like

Just want to come quickly and talk about Orville!

Orville

I just find it so fun what you’re doing with him story wise. I’ve never seen something like this done before, where a character from a real Fire Emblem world showed up. Although I’m ashamed to admit it took me far longer than it should had did to realize just which world he was from XD Also him and Cosette <3 I really wouldn’t mind having a whole game just following the two of them, haha. Two of my favorite characters in this for sure.

2 Likes

i had actually stumbled upon a hidden use for one of those 4 elemental bows that one character has, i dont recall ever seeing such a mechanic like that before and its rather cool of an idea

1 Like

Orville seems to be the most divisive character in the game. I get a lot of players who tell me they really enjoyed Orville as well as a lot who say that can’t stand him or his interactions with Cosette. In any case, I’m always glad to hear when someone likes him.

I don’t really know what you’re referring to.

1 Like

vincent’s wilting equinox bow seems to have a hidden second effect when used as an item in the battle prep menu it will lower his level by 4 and it seems any party member can use this effect so long as they have it in their inventory during battle prep and they will lose a varying amount of levels depending on who uses it

2 Likes

im not sure if this is a bug or what but in chapter 19 of part 2 it says i can talk to gregory with walter but when i approach him with walter the option to talk doesnt display itself… could it be because i promoted walter or is this intentional

1 Like

That’s not an intended feature. I missed removing one of the Juna Fruit functions from it.

Gregory has to be recruited for that to happen.

1 Like

i had recruited him in part 1 but he left the party come part 2 and i ended up killing him by accident, would he have rejoined if i had killed the boss in that map and finished the mission without killing him?

1 Like

The folder you downloaded for the game has a guide that can answer questions like this.

Chapter 19 Recruitment

Lailah can recruit Gregory if Midge was left alive in Chapter 18. If you killed Midge, then Gregory will refuse her and cannot be rerecruited.

1 Like

I liked Orville quite a bit but he seems a bit too “perfect” with his major character flaws(?) kinda being strange (being weak-kneed for boys and not as much self confidence as his attitude dictates)
I haven’t gotten the orville/cosette ending but depending on how it’s executed it might feel a bit weird? He’s pretty much her advisor/part-mentor the whole game. But that kind of relationship between two leads of different genders is pretty common in shoujo manga for example so I’d imagine him and his interactions with Cosette to be more popular among female players than male ones.

2 Likes

Thanks for the perspective. I did a write up on Orville and Cosette’s relationship awhile ago in response to another post, so I’ll just refer to that for anyone who wants perspective so I don’t have to reinvent the wheel explaining Orville

Endgame Spoilers Below

Going beyond what was in the big quote, Orville is probably one of the characters that changed the most from his initial concept. Cosette was one of the last characters added to the game, so I had actually been working on Orville as a concept for about six months before Cosette was written into the story.

Orville was originally going to be a Cavelier whose personality was essentially that he was a gay Sain who would be flirty with all of the boys. And he had an overbearing and protective older brother who would have been a prepromoted Paladin (this character was cut from the game). He was also going to have the Demoiselle skill to reflect his interests, but this was eventually changed to the more ambiguous Inspiration skill long before release.

Orville
Orville Unpromoted

The Jugdral connection came from me toying around with giving him staves instead of lances like a Jugdral Troubadour. Then I started adding on things like the Earth Sword. By the time that I had given him the Master Knight class, I thought “Why not just make him a descendant of Hezul.”

Orville’s initial design in his Exile class drew some flack for him wearing pink even though the idea was just to combine Eldigan’s and Lachesis’s color schemes.

Orville 4

Once Cosette was added to the game, I decided to make Orville her main partner because of the way he would play off of her eventual conflict with Marius, having grown up hearing stories about Eldigan from his mother. They were originally not planned to have a romantic pairing, but by the time I had reached the end of the story, I had to acknowledge that each of them was the most important person to the other.

So Orville changed a lot between the game’s concept stages and the first release, and his crush on Luke is probably the only vestige of his original concept.

3 Likes

I do enjoy Orville and Cosette’s relationship and they would at the very least be together forever, but it does feel a little awkward how he goes :flushed: at both Luke and Max relatively early on and then canonically (in terms of how you feel - it seems you accept Death of the Author as truth) ends up with Cosette.

Obviously bisexual people exist and he probably just has an easier time being attracted to men. I like how his personality is the way it is and he’s still outwardly into guys without compromising on his mentor role and general ideals. But for those who are on their first playthrough and who aren’t familiar with you, the two references to him liking men within like three chapters set him up as gay - I’m willing to bet you’ve taken note of the effect this had on audience opinion and have decided not to ever do that in that way again though.

I’m a sucker for “I have someone to return to” and “I have things to do” in the same dynamic too so even if they’re not the same gender (I have a Problem) I enjoy that ending. Not gonna lie it helps that Orville isn’t straight.
But again, the way his preferences were set up at the beginning only for him to settle down (as far as that applies to them) with Cosette at the end can feel a bit like erasure, denial, or compulsory heterosexuality.

2 Likes
Another Reply with Endgame Spoilers

While I do understand some having difficulty accepting Orville being happy with a woman, the parings that I think feel more like “compulsory heterosexuality” are the ones where Nathan and Carson wind up with a woman because the two of them were always intended to be written as falling in love over the course of the game, while I had never developed anything where Orville was going to canonically wind up with one of the guys. So in my mind, Orville was never denied a relationship with a man by being paired with Cosette.

With Deity Device, when it came to writing character relationships, I felt like I was doing battle with the GBA support system because I often couldn’t push a scene as far as I wanted because the player would always have to build supports in order to make the pairing “real” in the end. And I wound up writing a lot of paired endings that were honestly a struggle to write because I didn’t consider them real (pairings like Nathan x Cosette and Victor x Helen feels very unnatural to me).

With the sequel, Saint’s Blood, I’ve learned how to control the support system through story events, so the player has no control over building supports and characters who have a romantic pairing each have only one, so the main story events won’t be limited to only hinting at things and I can take things at a more natural pace than everyone planning a future in final battle convos.

3 Likes

So idk how this happened but I started up a save file from part 2 chapter 20 and my Nathan and Lucy glitched and now have 30 mov. I didn’t start from a save state but an actual save. It’s an easy fix in FEbuilder but idk if it’s been brought up before. Also I’m using mgba on my psvita(not through retroarch or psp emulation). Just wanted to let you know. Sorry if it’s already been fixed but I wasn’t aware if it has been known before.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of anything like that happening. Is it possible that your save file was corrupted at some point? I don’t know anything about file storage on the Vita (I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a Vita). If you use an SD Card or flash drive to move files to and from it, the save may have been corrupted if a device wasn’t properly ejected.

3 Likes

Ya know, that may very well be the issue. I move my SD card to and from my computer to add games and whatnot so that might be it. I appreciate you giving me an idea on what it could be. Just want to say I adore this hack and am totally looking forward to your next one.

3 Likes

Hi I would very much like to play your hack however, I’m new to patching and I know how to patch ROMs, but I do not know how to transfer my saves between each of the ROMs. I’m strictly on an Android device with a patching app. Is it possible to transfer saves on an Android device or is that only possible on computers?

2 Likes

It’s possible please wait while I type the directions.

2 Likes

First of all if go to your file manager then phone storage after that find the folder that says my boy then you will see saves. If you have the move button then it will be easy if not then you will have to find a way.

3 Likes

So once I copy my save file from the first ROM I just apply it to the second rom? Do I have to rename it when I transfer it?

1 Like