[FE8] Fire Emblem: Drums of War <v. 2 - COMPLETE! 22 chapter campaign!>

DoW 1-0 Complete.emulator

Ch15 is next to Final instead of Ch15xx.

The chapter “E-3” is not included.
Probably, the ending is displayed in EndEvent.
When this ending is displayed, E-3 has not been cleared yet, so it is not displayed.
I think the workaround idea would be to create an epilogue chapter and display the ending there.

DoW 1-0 Complete.emulator2
End Act 2 is also on ch11 instead of ch11x.

I forgot to attach the save data.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/242781622502424578/1117982432952590396/DoW_1-0_Complete.emulator.sav

1 Like

They’re listed internally as 11x and 15x, so not really sure why they’ve been displaying wrong. But good point about why E-3 doesn’t display; I’ll see about putting some of the post-map credits into an epilogue. Was considering bulking up the ending a little anyway, so it makes sense.

1 Like

maaaaan is it even posible to save that bottom village in the prologue?

1 Like

There’s no intended way to save it, no. There’s technically a way to exploit the AI into failing to break it, but there’s no reward or acknowledgement.

5 Likes

I can already tell I am in for a wild ride but I’m already super into it. I mean the prolouge itself took me like an hour lol. I mean I was cooking too but still. I typically prefer easier Fire Emblem titles but this for sure still has me invested.

2 Likes

Hats off, Parrhesia. No, really. This is the first time I’ve been forced to sacrifice a unit to save the day. Not even Thracia forced me to. Amazing.

2 Likes

Sooo… Any reason there are 3 Merarch with the exact same stats and equipment in E-2?

It’s their rank, not their title. They’re the first wave of officers, halfway between a generic and someone with a name.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Ok, now I finished the game. What can I say…

Writing

This game is very, VERY GOOD. As another person mentioned before me, the lore is amazing but you will not understand everything unless you read the codex. Which is fine, honestly. It wasn’t a problem for me because I like reading, but some people might find it annoying. Not my problem as, again, I love reading.

Gameplay

Then the gameplay: this game suits me well, since aggressive tactics are my forte, but I do find one small problem here and that’s the FE4 vibes. In Holy War, as the maps were giant and time unlimited, you could more or less manage your time and do whatever you needed to do before conquering a castle because, as we all know, the next waves of enemies would come soon after. However, the maps are not as big as in Holy War and the “conquer multiple castles” mechanic doesn’t exist, meaning all those waves of enemies will come without giving you any time to prepare, since there is not a flag as obvious as “you’ve conquered X castle” to tell you. This isn’t necessarily a problem if you’re somehow experienced, but it’s very accused at the beggining of the game. Maybe this is intended so the player can get used to these ambushes, I don’t know about that. However, if you are experienced, you’ll find it hardly unfair.

Economy

Then my favourite mechanic: boss recuitment. Simply splendid! Not only because every boss have their own skills that could be very useful (well, almost every boss), but because of the money. Most of the time, you’ll only get money by not recruiting this bosses. This forces you to think real hard wheter to recruit them or not. In fact, I accused the lack of money sometimes precisely because I didn’t think too much and recruited almost every boss.

My Company

Broken. When she promotes and truly the cornerstone of The Company to the very end. At the beggining she’s strong enough to work as a Jeagan of sorts, helping others grow. At the end, she’s still the pillar of the team without being a one-woman army, which is nice.

A must. She’s the second best dancer I’ve seen in a hack, only behind Vesta from Deity Device and she’ll be the best support for Roxelana both in the battlefield and the lore.

Good enough as a healer and fast enough to avoid almost everything. Not much to say here.

A nice surprise. He’s your classic swordsmaster with plenty speed and high fragility. However, and thanks to his supports Kadri, he proved himself highly useful.

Both a tank and a destructor, this unit was almost as important as Roxelana from the begging. As long as there is a healer behind him, he’s unstoppable.

… You know I’d normally either complain or laugh at how absurd is to give anyone a character as broken as her. I was proven wrong. During the last strectch of the game, the enemy is so accurate on their blows that a woman like her wasn’t good enough to stop them by herself, as I had feared. And she’s based, as we saw when she admits nonchalantly that she left her own band behind just because of that one redhead. Truly a lovable character :rofl:

I don’t know how to say it anymore, Parrhesia. It’s not my birthday, I don’t need so many last minute presents! Kidding, I did need him. Even whithout support, he’s more than enough to pierce through the enemies lines by himself and he’s a great mage killer thanks to Nibelung. Chapter E-2 would have been much more difficult without him.

Yet another present. If you hadn’t trained your other light user, she’ll come in handy. As long as she uses a siege tome or the S class light spell, she’ll make herself useful. Staves suit her well too.

If there’s something I’ve learnt about this game is just how necessary snipers are. Most of the time you’ll need to strike enemies from affar if you want to survive or weaken a boss and that 6 move stat was way to sweet to bench her (the other snipers have a 5 move stat).

Yet another sniper. I don’t know if I was simply unlucky, but he’s reeeeally slow. Thankfully he has high HP, allowing him to take some hits without dying. Then again, he’s an archer. Why would I ever put him in the front lines? The moment I gave him the brave bow, he turned into a killing machine. just look at that STR stat. Beautiful.

Not particullarly good or bad, yet needed. She can heal or erase mages from existence. Her defense is amazing for a mage, so there’s that. She made a great team with Gerhard.

Did I mention how important snipers are in this game? Weaker than Radu but faster, making them an amazing duo. And they ahd support pairing, making them even more important.

I forgot to mention it with Vivica, but foot mages are SO annoyingly slow. In terms of gameplay that’s fair. However, used to every magic unit having at least 6 move in every other game I’ve played, this makes them particularly difficukt to use unless they are working as a pack. Felice was the exception, having 3 ranged magic. She shone in particular moments and was perfect for weaking problematic enemies from afar, since many of them have low resistance.

Another great mage killer and a needed one. You see, in this game most of our units (and among the enemies too) have low resistance, so having anyone able to pulverize mages is a must. Very useful.

Meh. Good as a healer thanks to her high move, but nothing else. Very appreciated though.

Thief.

And that sums it up. Great game, I wouldn’t change anything. Everything just feels right, you know. I’ve only 3 doubts I would like to have answered.

1- Might contain spoilers

I had 4 of the 5 items needed to have the brothers brew… Well, whatever is it they are going to brew. I didn’t get onw of the items. I had the tickling object, the oddka, the miasma, and the fetid clam. Couldn’t find the last one and I’m pretty sure I searched every corner of this game. What did I miss and where?

2- Lewyn desperate sobbing and begging

Are you going to pick up Dream of Five? As I said, this game is amazing and I do believe you have more than enough potential to take that project and make it rise from the ashes again. Then again, I’m just talking from my position of ignorance, you might have reasons to not do this. I don’t lose a thing for asking though.

3 - The ending scene makes you wonder if there will be a sequel for this. You did take the time to create a unique sprite for a character with only a minute of screen time, 50 years later after the final battle.

7 Likes

I am using deepl to read your story and I probably don’t understand 50% of it.
I have a few questions.

This content contains spoilers

questions

Why would the king try to poison the hero?

No matter how much the war situation improved and he was on a roll, his attitude seems to have changed too much.
It is strange that his attitude suddenly changed when there were no signs of it before that.

I don’t think it is that unusual to kill an active hero, since “the end of a hound that has hunted all its prey is to be boiled and eaten by humans,” but it seemed too abrupt.
It seemed to me that a scene could have been inserted in which the king, with his entourage, plans to eliminate the hero.

How did Micah come into power?
Why does he have necromancer-like powers?

What did Micah want to do in the end?

Why did Petrarch and Ashwood cooperate with Micah?
And why are they so powerful too?
How is it that you are so strong for a congressman?
How is it that they have enough magical power to build a wall of dragons?

The king died in ch15, right?
So what is the reason why they are fighting after ch16?

“A ‘normalisation committee’, they’re calling themselves, sent by the Senate.”

Perhaps it is a group called the normalisation committee.
What is the relationship between the king and the senate in this world?

Is it correct to interpret that the king was defeated during the expedition, but the capital and other major institutions are safe, so the Senate has elected a new leader to come and defeat the protagonists?
Is Micah the new leader of the Senate?

I am not understanding this area well, so please explain.

I can answer the first one for you.

Answer

It’d due to her loyalty, or lack there of.

Since the war was being turned almost single handedly by a squad led by someone who showed open hostility to her “king”, once they secured a large enough hold that they felt she would become a potential liability so they planned to kill her and her men.

The plan being to use them as martyrs to rally the commonfolk to them since the commoners were honestly more following her then the actual king by this point.

3 Likes
  1. In some of the earlier cutscenes where you meet the King, it shows that killing Roxelana was always gonna be the plan. Either the idea was presented by Micah or someone else, not too sure since its been awhile since i played

2. Micah’s new powers are explained in a game cutscene with Micah meeting with Calista, telling her how he harnessed the power of the dragon stones.

3. I think Micah wanted to be in a postion of power, be it in the confederation or attempting to become a “god”. Most likely the ladder.

4. Petrarch and Ashwood cooperated with Micah to hopefully have a chance at haveing the confederation to stay in power, even if they have second thoughts about not doing so after the fact.

The believe maybe Micah shared his power but I don’t think that’s a good enough answer. I believe thier class description detailed how they were able to learn most magic with the knowledge they were provided with by being in thier postion. Honestly can’t think of anything else.

Not too sure about the rest but i hope this cleared most of the things up.

3 Likes

Congratulations! Glad you enjoyed your time with it - and that the revamped Catsidhe is a more useful and satisfying unit.

The three doubts...
  1. It was in C14. One of the visitable areas points you to it.
  2. It’s possible, but depends on a couple of factors outside my control. We’ll know by FEE3.
  3. It’s a Repo sprite that I think is meant to represent a future Nino, but I really liked it and kind of wished I’d had a home for it throughout. DoW2 is possible, depending on how things shake up in the near future. I have a few ideas. It would probably take place about 20 years after DoW, in Barossia and Rhiannon.

As for 7743’s questions:

Summary
  1. The first time we see Wulfram, the moment Roxelana leaves, he talks about how ‘ghastly’ it was to have to deal with her. The Exiles are genuine believers in divine right, that noble blood is innately superior, and can generally be described as arch-conservative. In their world, women of common blood exist basically to pump out and rear children – Jurechka basically says this explicitly in Chapter 10 – not to lead armies or read. Worse still, Roxelana:
  • doesn’t make much effort to hide that this is an alliance of convenience
  • clashes with the Margravine, who is very much One of Them
  • is a former Confederation officer and does not disavow them completely
  • is a lesbian, which they look down on due to antiquated sensibilities rooted in that she isn’t exactly going to pump out children (and again, blood matters to these people, adoption to them doesn’t count)
  • can wield Isamaa, which rejected Wulfram; it’s not actually a sign of royal blood, but it’s mentioned that that’s how the people perceive it (and why it’s an outrage that Tryphon’s carrying it), so combined with the fact that;
  • she’s an orphan who basically showed up from nowhere. If she wants to claim she’s actually a bastard descendant of the last King, well, that’s pretty much what Wulfram did!

So they despise her and see her as a threat, and with their victory over Tryphon in the capital, Wulfram thinks the war is basically over (underestimating the scale of Confederation reprisal) and that time is right to cut her loose. Between Roxelana’s clashes with the Margravine in C6, Wulfram voicing his scorn for her after C8, her chat with Jurechka in C10 making it all but explicit the Exiles’ vision has no place for her, and her open defiance of Wulfram in C11 (and Wulfram’s fury at this), I feel it is amply foreshadowed that the alliance was not built to last. I suspect the process of machine translation has lost a lot of detail.

1. As outlined in the start to C9, the dragon Rijesca’s power stemmed from five stones which were cast into the swamp. In C9, the stones are found. They’re all meant to go to Micah, but Catsidhe ends up taking two of them. Still, Calista admits to Micah later that she never thought he could seriously channel any power from them. She was wrong; a power, ultimately, greater than he could control.

2. Micah’s ambitions escalate constantly throughout. In Aulestra he was just trying to make it out alive and in relative comfort; in the Exiles he was trying to rise with the tide; on his own, his ambitions were to rule Rijesca - forming an alliance of convenience with Ashwood and Petrarch, who had nowhere else to turn - as an iron-fisted tyrant backed by immense magical power. If he’d managed that, he’d probably have turned on the Confederation soon enough. Realistically, it was not going to end well for him in any case, just a matter of who he dragged down with him.

3. They’re extremely powerful sorcerers in their own right. They’re helping Micah channel the dragons into being - and summoning monsters was something Micah could do back in C15, though by then his control was pretty slipshod - but their power as combatants is all their own. Working with Micah is their last chance at success; the Senate would not be satisfied if Roxelana, who is essentially a rebel (and, in relation to the Confederation, a traitor), was allowed to take command.

4. The Committee are formed after C4 when Petrarch, a Barossian senator, asks the Senate to send out a force to help secure Rijesca, which has been bubbling with rebel sentiment since the beginning. While they’re only rarely seen in Act 2, the Shepherd Queen’s War begins to come up more and more - the last Rijescan rebellion, which was crushed by a belated but overwhelming Confederation retaliation.

The expedition comes too late to stop Haszek from falling and Tryphon from dying, but they still arrive - after C12 - with a fractured understanding of what exactly happened, garnered by word of mouth (mostly by the Bauker recolour). They don’t know that the Exiles have just betrayed Roxelana, and think she’s still one of their captains.

The big fight between the Confederation and the Exiles happens off-stage, instigated by Roxelana just before she goes off to do C13. The Exiles have been crushed to a point where Roxelana can finish them off, and so she does over the course of C14 and C15. Wulfram dies.

But as we know in real life, and as the Confederation and Roxelana know here, kingship is fake. The Confederation are here to destroy all exiles, and restore an order amenable to them, just like before. They take back every city bar Kalju, where Roxelana holds out, but the job isn’t done until Kalju is retaken and Roxelana and her Company are destroyed. The Battle of Kalju happens over the course of E-1 and E-2. They tentatively agree peace - Petrarch is dealing honestly, and admits to Ashwood that their careers are over, but Ashwood had his conversation earlier with Micah, who said that he could offer a last roll of the dice if Roxelana somehow won.

From Ashwood and Petrarch’s point of view, Micah - a citizen known to the Senate - can take on the military governorship that Tryphon had at the start, and with the war over, they can come back to the Senate and report success (even at a massive cost to their forces). It’s in everyone’s interests to simply pretend that Micah never sided with the Exiles in the first place, which the Senate have no way of knowing for sure without them.

Roxelana, by contrast, insisted on Rijescan nationhood, and a break from the Confederation. That scenario represents a total defeat for the Confederation, and they were desperate to avoid it; they were only complacent in C4 (Petrarch aside) because they didn’t think it could possibly happen. So they can’t just say the job is done after C15, because it’s not about the Exiles, nor even about Roxelana; they can’t let any rebel command any part of Rijesca.

8 Likes

No pressure whatsoever and I whole heartedly wish I could help instead of being just some random internet guy asking others for things but if DO5 could be resurrected I would be ecstatic! It was my first taste of a truly great Rom Hack back when it first released and it’s stuck with me all these years. I’d even throw you some coffee(Ko-Fi) to help with the process. But at the end of the day, do what makes you happy and what you find enjoyment out of because that’s what really matters. Drums of War is an amazing rom hack in its own rights and with this last bit of polish I could easily see it going down in history as one of the greats alongside TLP, (DO5) and of course Vision Quest (amongst others). I’ll be here supporting whatever you achieve along the way with all I’ve got! Thanks for all your contributions to this wonderful community my friend and I wish you good health and happiness :v:t2:

2 Likes

I see.
With deepl translation, I could not see it because the detailed meaning is lost.
Conversational sentences are the ones that machine translation is the worst at, and the meaning in the sentence is pretty much lost.
I could tell that there was some difference of opinion, but I didn’t think there was much of a difference of opinion, since the main character ultimately bowed down to the king.

There were five stones?
I didn’t realize that; I thought there was only one.
I only found out that there was a joke about finally finding a shiny shiny one and taking it to a pawn shop.
I thought it was the one that they finally recovered and took with them.
There were five of them and I didn’t think the protagonists recovered two of them.

Where is the scene where Micah talks about his ambitions?
I did not understand about his ambitions.
Perhaps this too has been lost in translation.

If they are such good mages, shouldn’t they have gone and taken back the capital themselves?
Why didn’t they fight it themselves?

The big fight between the Confederation and the Exiles happens off-stage, instigated by Roxelana just before she goes off to do C13.

This did not read that way at all either.
The translation is troubling because it drowns out the finer meanings.

Ultimately, I feel a machine translation is always going to struggle with works of fiction, especially when things aren’t stated outright. There’s not always an explicit moment where story elements are laid out cleanly, and even just the emotion with which lines are stated can carry a lot of meaning, which it’s hard to imagine a machine translation can convey.

Spoiler discussion...

Micah never outlines his lategame objectives as such, but it can be inferred from his actions and character that he’s going to want something from Ashwood and Petrarch… and it can also be inferred that he’s not going to stay content with whatever they were willing to give for long. There isn’t a need for him to ever explicitly thrash out the terms and conditions of his accord with Ashwood, and doing so would break the flow of pretty much any scene or sequence it could be shoehorned into; the details aren’t what’s important, and I don’t think any reading of Micah’s character would suggest he’d ever stop grasping for more power, let alone allow Roxelana to live for the humiliations she put him through.

As for why Ashwood and Petrarch didn’t contribute to the siege of Kalju, the difference was more than two puissant sorcerers could have bridged alone, particularly given that E-2 is pretty clearly an example of a ‘zoomed out’ battle where one unit isn’t a literal representation of one guy (where E-3 does make sense as being 1:1 scale). A battle doesn’t usually come down to the complete extermination of one side or the other. Rowland’s death breaks the spirit of the Confederation forces, and they fall back, as Roxelana recounts in her journal just after he falls in-game. As high-ranking, non-military individuals, they were never going to take the field unless things got desperate and it would conceivably make a difference… like when it’s an ambush on Roxelana and her retinue directly, not a siege between large opposing armies.

1 Like

Anything that is not clearly spoken and has to be guessed is the worst possible match for machine translation.
It’s impossible to guess the meaning from them because all the tone, attitude, etc. is lost.
If there were scenes where the purpose and motive were clearly spoken, I might have understood a little more.

DeepL is good at producing “readable” translations, but is generally worse than, say, Google Translate for accuracy. I have heard cases of it completely mangling sentences for the sake of appearing natural in output.
Surely it would still be better than that thing we used to read Umineko before it got translated (Hachijou Touya being translated as “eight castles” by the ocs was weird)

I think google translate often outputs stranger translations than deepl.
This is also what I wrote in deepl.

There was a horror game released that translated “肝試し” (Kimodameshi/Test of courage) as “肝臓検査” (liver test).
It is still difficult to translate lines correctly with machine translation.

Most of the time, I believe that 50% of the meaning is lost in machine translation.
We can only guess at the meaning by somehow using the remaining 50%.
Frequent mistranslations, like the “liver test” we mentioned earlier, have to be compensated for.
It is still difficult to translate the lines.

2 Likes