[FE8] Fire Emblem: Celestaris Book 0 v0.14.0 (WIP) Book II v1.0.3 (WIP), Book I v1.2.4 (Complete)

Random small update!

v1.1.4.20230219221237

• A few ‘ultimate’ weapons didn’t reset properly in X-5, that should be fixed now.
  • Typo fixes.
  • Obscura Stella had the wrong weapon description. Oops.

…You’ll also see on that test chapter there’s a new character, so uh right now I’m debating with myself to continue on with this or instead move to a ‘Book II’ of sorts, with the limited character slots and me being a stubborn dummy wanting to keep the ability to grind characters up and wanting to play around with even more random character stories and stuff this seems to be the only thing I can think of.
Might do an extra chapter or two here but dunno yet!

8 Likes

Erm… Hello!
What’s this? Well, it might be that ‘Book II’ I mentioned. Possibly. …Maybe. Early days still so there’s really not much yet, but basically everything from Book I is being thrown and or refreshed. excluding the chapter select apparently. I’ll probably do a new map for the chapter select but lazy for now.

Some example of changes are… No longer an arbitrary number of skills! Two max per character! One personal skill, and one (promoted) class skill. …well there might be exceptions, but again, early days-- this’ll be the general layout, personal skills (At least for most characters) will be custom skills not seen in the base skill system!.. I won’t lie though that I’m uncreative so some could be basically variants of existing skills with different numbers or something, but that’s not unlikely when you’ve got a million characters to make skills for.

Since this is technically a separate thing, I’m unsure if I should keep Book II in this topic or just make a separate thread. I’d ask opinions but I’m too used being ignored whenever I ask so I’ll probably decide by the next update or something.

While it ‘is’ separate and not evern character slots line up, I DO want to have some little bonus if you played through Book I and carry your save over (It’ll probably pick up on flags, delete all of the progress you have via events and then do whatever) but as of yet I’m not sure on what to do for a little bonus thing.

Anyways, that’s it for now, hopefully everyone’s having a good day! Ciao!

7 Likes

For some reason when adding a talk event the initiator turns into Eirika and teleports to the top right of the map, followed by the dreaded screech of death and freeze right before text pops up.
Not pictured, the dreaded screech of death, since it’s a sound and not a picture. Now I need to figure out how I’ve destroyed talk events, neat!

If this wasn’t a way to make me want to learn more about buildfiles I dunno what is. Depending on stuff the next ‘proper’ update may not happen for quite some time. If I can fix this it’ll just go on as is, if not I’ll try and figure my way around those.

7 Likes

Great game i hope you make many more chapters
And a continous story like the other fire emblem
I like the characters
And weapons
and i think it deserves to Be a longer game …
Like 40 chapters or more i hope you make it longer
In the next update

1 Like

I have no idea if it’s actually apt to post this here but it’s my thread and i’ll do what i want but I thought I may as well say something on what’s happening-- learning about buildfiles seems to be progressing somewhat. Rather slowly. I’ve finally got all of the (generic) classes in and all that entails.

…Just using FEBuilder here to illustrate, no changes have been made in it.
Will I actually USE all of those bloody class slots? Probably not, but this particular version with all of these new ‘generic’ classes is just a base for me to use for any further things. I tend to put effort into things allowing myself to be lazy you know!

…By generic classes, while likely obvious, I just mean anything not used for unique character classes, like Nue up there! Poor Nue being the cause of a crash.

…Well actually there is this weird issue where map sprites attached to classes after a certain point will seem to use the standing sprite from something else, in this case the Wolf Knight using Ephraim’s map sprite (Which in this case is just Ephraim’s lord class)
ProgressSorta
(The Ephraim to the side of Eirika) How strange. Ignore the dead Nils i didn’t do it i swear for some reason the dragon vein seems to be using that map sprite. Who’d have thought dragon veins were made from uh… not-so-living dragons. I didn’t think the ‘vein’ referred to the veins of the body, who knew.

@Qais Hehehe thank you. We’ll have to see what happens! Maybe after I do a few of these ‘books’ I’ll do a proper one taking a few characters from each or something.

4 Likes

That’s a known issue.

To fix it, add this somewhere in the buildfiles:

PUSH
ORG 0x26706
BYTE 0xFF
ORG 0x2678A
BYTE 0xFF
ORG 0x2680C
BYTE 0xFF
ORG 0x26C68
BYTE 0xFF
ORG 0x27250
BYTE 0xFF
ORG 0x27B96
BYTE 0xFF
ORG 0x27C82
BYTE 0xFF
ORG 0x27D30
BYTE 0xFF
ORG 0x27DF0
BYTE 0xFF
ORG 0x27E84
BYTE 0xFF
ORG 0x27F5A
BYTE 0xFF
ORG 0x2804C
BYTE 0xFF

ORG 0x268E4
SHORT 0x2000
ORG 0x26A52
SHORT 0x2000
ORG 0x26B42
SHORT 0x2000
POP
1 Like

Yeah its amazing this game needs more episodes and to be longer
I mean its a great job
You sould continue and make more games
I will wait to try them all

1 Like

Ah, I already had that-- which is what made it so strange. Thank you though!

Did end up fixing it by looking at what FEBuilder patched and added the extra lines from that.

2 Likes

Welp, more progress before Zelda devours all of my free time tomorrow-- about all of the setup is finally done. Yaaaaaay. All that’s really left is to get weapon locks working to give knife users exclusive rights to all short and stabby weapons aaaand uhhhh… fixing some sound stuff.

A few sounds I imported from FE6/7 like both of the Forblaze variants and the Exaccus (I can’t remember if there’s a more recent translation) ranged sound as of yet are just pleasant piano noises before they delete your face instead of their usual sounds. How grisly.

I imagine it’s due to instrument stuff which I currently know nothing about, but we’ll see if my dumb brain can get it.

4 Likes

So uh what knife classes do we have? Ahem ahem

1 Like

Of generics currently? Uhhhh… Thieves, Assassins, Rogues and Wolf Knights.
A few characters might get knife access as a special thing, but I am not even totally sure on characters that’ll appear yet.
They’re a bit of a late addition so it’s very sparse right now, I’ll decide on more after getting bored of Zelda probably.

No magic unit daggers? ;"(

1 Like

Not yet, sorry. ;_;
The intent for this so far was just to learn about buildfiles and to catch up to where I was, what can happen now (…well, after ToTK) though are just fun new things, maybe there could be secret Bishop assassins or something~

May as well put up a little dumb teaser for a bit of what may come from Book II… Or, at the very least, what I am currently putting together for FEE3, that’ll probably be a demo of 1 main chapter and 1 side chapter if I can actually manage it.

CelestarisBookII.emulator

You may recognise a certain someone from my PME. Who knew I was secretly tossing characters at PMEs as a way for me to figure more stuff out about my characters! Oh, it’s not so secret anymore is it?

I am currently continuing on via FEBuilder so I can actually do things in a way I can understand easier, which is going to make it unfortunate later on having to redo this stuff yet again via buildfiles. I just love making things more difficult for myself don’t I?

8 Likes

Errrr… Chapter X-S1 (That is, Side chapter 1) seems to be functionally done. You can play through and finish it, buuut there’s not too much to do right now, chapter’s a bit short and can be done in 10-15 minutes… although the side chapters of the previous book were also about that long as well so I could just keep it this way for consistency… Dunno.

Might roll back around and add more little touches and things to do here and there if you want to do them, but that’ll wait until the next demo chapter is done first, this one being a proper chapter… which i am currently trying to do a battle animation for the ‘lord’, as well as needing a portrait for a mini-boss (and anything for said mini-boss really), but maybe I should just do the chapter itself first. One thing at a time.

…I wanted to add a different mini-mug box thing for this like previously, but the FEBuilder patch doesn’t seem to work since I’ve messed with the insides of the game too much, if I did add a different one it’d mean restarting (the FEBuilder portion at least) again, again… again… Nothing can ever be simple. But I can only blame myself for that one, hehehe.

Edit?

Uhhh…
Hm.
It would seem the Dancer does not know how the heck to actually dance. …Huh. I got rid of the Skill System dance skill for brevity, and I forgot to also check the setting that just checks the character/class has that vanilla skill. Oops. I’ll just give her the Bard’s ‘Play’ ability as a placeholder probably since it still seems to work, but this is just another silly mistake.

8 Likes

QUICK I NEED AN INCEL.

wait that probably sounded weird.

Just playing about with the desert chapter there, and thought it could be fun to have a mini-boss, for some reason I thought it’d be hilarious to have them be an incel. I still don’t have a name or portrait though so uh… yay?
While I’d love if anyone had any ideas I’ll probably think of something at some point, maybe.

While I’m here, have the overwhelming power of a Sniper.
lotsofdamage

blimey that’s… a lot of possible damage. I’m definitely not changing it though, who needs speed when you can just ruin someone in a single hit?

3 Likes

Time for our (apparently daily for now) update!
Somehow I have destroyed how stats work again.
Where are all of these bonuses even coming from?!

But I have found a solution to this fortunately! Well, a temporary measure while I’m using FEBuilder for a quick demo anyway, I’ll probably find an actual solution after FEE3.
The solution? I’ll get to that, until then I’ll get Milly to illustrate since the solution hasn’t worked for Saoirse yet.

2before
Weirdly Milly’s stat weirdness isn’t too crazy, wonder why. Elf magic?

And after the solution?
3after
Behold! Natural stats all around. My solution?

ignore the character censoring, just doing so for no real reason.

Well obviously it’s genocide, duh.
For some reason the statups were tied to which character slot they used (In the party, not the proper character ID), so swapping Milly with someone else in the character loader gave her differently weird stat bonuses. Games are weird.

While I’m here I’ll just introduce two new weapon types–
Say hello to Guns and Knives!
Guns use ‘Skill’ to do damage (Or… will, when I actually get to it) and pierce defence a bit, while Knives are… well basically are as they are in Fates, the absolute menace of stat reduction. I just thought it’d be fun if they were treated as separate weapon types instead of piggybacking off of Sword and Bow.

On that, they have cute little weapon type icons even if they don’t have weapon levels.
Sorta want to add them to the weapon triangle somewhere, but I’m not sure where yet.

6 Likes

+1! Wonder if I can keep this up for a week, it does seem to be doing something for motivation so that’s a plus.
Not too much to report today! Mostly writing random stuff and getting distracted with side stuff… half related to this.

CelestarisBookII35Start3.emulator
Hmmm… You look familiar. Wonder why.

Unfortunately with my restriction of ‘one personal skill and one (proper) promoted class skill per character maximum’ that does rule out the Book I conversational stuff where you could learn abilities that way, so for Book II I’m basically limited to character recruits, items, and statups. Could be other stuff but I can’t think any right now. Hopefully everyone’s having a good day today! Aaaand uh… if not, then kick the badness in the shins!

8 Likes

It’s that time again! What have I got today? …uhhhh… well uhhh… the ending of this chapter’s written and implemented at least? Don’t especially want to go ahead and spoil it though, so what CAN I actually show here for today’s update…
Ah, there are new affinities!.. Well, there’s only one new one right now, and I dunno if it matters too much since support partners are preset and not variable… But it might matter if I actually do a full hack instead of separate books I dunno.

CelestarisBookII35Start3.emulator

Behold the ‘Star’ affinity! It is uh… very attack focused, only adding more power and critical.

Was probably dumb to get myself to do this daily now that I’m here with nothing big, ahaha…

7 Likes

Well uhhhh… in theme with the month, I dunno if it’ll be too obvious since I hardly especially do romance (seem to be doing more than I used to though, yay? Might become more obvious over time by that virtue)

…Stop getting sidetracked stupid.

So most of my characters are various flavours of LGBT+. a few pairings I’ve done (help Awakening ruined me i must pair everyone up) are mostly girl/girl, but that’s probably something to do with like 75% of my characters being girls. I’ve gone all Touhou it seems, oops?

And for another update… Saoirse, the ‘lord’ of Book II X-2 now has an animation, yey.

Gun

Want to know how to make animations look better than they are? Make things spin!

…has anyone noticed i like purple yet.
I’ll probably release the animation at uhhhh… some point. Maybe I should do a few more random old animations first.

9 Likes