[FE8] [Complete] The Dark Amulet v1.4 (04/09/2024)

Hello,

The game need again an access to be download

Hi Cormag - I’m sorry to hear that you’re having difficulty downloading the game. I’ve checked with a few people on the game’s Discord and they say the link is working. Maybe you’re using an old link? Those won’t work anymore.

Please try the download link below and let me know if it still doesn’t work for you:
The Dark Amulet v1.3.ups

It has worked thanks

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to note here that this is the best romhack I have ever played. The level design, the character arcs, the supports are all incredible.

@Vorgus please keep making games. You are doing an amazing job. Incredible.

6 Likes

I really enjoyed this and i’m legitimately invested for the sequel

1 Like

Here’s my let’s play of the hack, the dark amulet:

Question

Summary

Is there any point to the enemies on 22x? It says there is no secrets the chapter makes that clear but Harlan moving randomly and then the random enemies make me think they there for something lol. Maybe mot a secret but something

Chapter 22x Answer

I just put those enemies there so the music wouldn’t revert to the ‘one enemy left’ happy music. Same thing as Chapter 12x. I realize there’s probably a patch to make that music not play, but having those random berserkers there is kind of funny. I’ll probably leave them.

Harlan trying to open doors is a bug. I think I’ve fixed it in the newest version that will be released soon.

There are absolutely no secrets in that level. In fact, there are really no secrets in any level, with two exceptions:

• There is a secret in Chapter 16x involving Edric
  • There is a secret in Chapter 24 (the secret shop, using the member card found in the same Chapter)
1 Like

Strange, when I promote Edric using Regal Armlet, he lost the ability Supply.

That’s really strange - I’ve never had that happen before. Can you give me the specific circumstances of his promotion? Was it in a chapter or in a prep menu?

I use it in the chapter he earn the Amulet, the Supply ability disappear right away. After that, I tried to use in preparation menu but the same result.

Come to the discord channel and send me some screenshots. I’ll try to figure out the issue.

Version 1.4 is out! Lots of great additions and tweaks, in this update. Patch notes are in the original post and below.

v1.4 Notes
  • Edric’s promoted class no longer has cavalry movement data / costs. Instead, it has infantry movement data / costs, because it is not cavalry
  • Elyse’s unique promoted class, the Witch, now has a new map sprite that shows off her fiery red hair
  • Fixed a small issue with Dwalt’s portrait
  • Fixed a small issue with Rivkah’s portrait
  • Fixed a small issue with Edgar’s portrait
  • Fixed a small issue with Harlan’s portrait
  • Fixed Braggo’s portrait, also removed his funny little hat
  • Fixed young Braggo’s portrait, also removed his funny little hat
  • Adjusted a small number of reinforcement placements in Chapter 9 to improve gameplay flow
  • Adjusted a small number of reinforcement placements in Chapter 20 to improve gameplay flow
  • Leandra’ PRF tome, Smite, has lost 2 might, 5 hit, 5 crit. It’s still very powerful, just not as broken as before. 20-use killer siege tomes will always do good work.
  • Reworked Tancred’s PRF tome, Tranquility, that he gets in Chapter 25. It’s still 1-range magic with massive weight. But now its bonuses to DEF and RES are increased, its hit is increased, and it has life-draining like Nosferatu. It’s meant to be a tome that allows Tancred to hold chokepoints and tank late game threats. Now it should be able to reliably do that.
  • Morgana gained +2 base SPD to make her less likely to be doubled during her joining chapter.
  • Nadya now has a (non-romantic, but sweet) paired ending with Freya!
  • Fenix now has a (non-romantic, obviously) paired ending with Elyse!
  • Royce has become much, much more threatening thanks to the introduction of a skill making him completely immune to ranged attacks. Fight him in melee, knight against knight, or do no damage at all to him!
  • The boss of Chapter 25 has become more threatening too, as her Vantage skill has been swapped for Vantage+
  • Increased the growth rates of enemy Warbringers. They’re now more dangerous.
  • Items effective against cavalry are now effective against Fallen Knights (the powerful enemy paladins only found in the final chapter)
  • The objective in Chapter 15 now changes after the original objective is no longer relevant. Time for plan B!
  • During the cutscene at the start of Chapter 25, Velaina actually leaves when she says she will, instead of awkwardly staying to listen to Edric and Tancred talk to each other
  • Added a talk event between Zeddard and Sophia in Chapter 16x that can only occur after you’ve reached the second stage of the map.
  • When you conquer the first two forts in Chapter 21, new bridges appear, allowing your north and south groups of units to meet up with your main force without the use of fliers and rescue-dropping
  • Zeddard starts poisoned in Chapter 24
  • Guests, Jarnathan, and Elyse react to the fighting that occurs during Chapter 18
  • The guards in the throne room of Chapter 18 start as green units and only become enemies when Eleanora leaves the room
  • Edgar now reacts to the dam opening in Chapter 19. Also made this chapter slightly harder.
  • The bosses in Chapter 15 now have battle quotes
  • Royce now has a battle and death quote in Chapter 23 (he doesn’t die, he just retreats)
  • The brigand in Chapter 23 starts much closer to the village with the second Hammerne staff. Now you’ll actually need to move somewhat quickly in order to get that awesome item.
  • Hilda and Fraza now have a battle conversation in Chapter 1
  • Griss and Fraza now have a battle conversation in Chapter 1
  • Rivkah and Braggo now have a battle conversation in Chapter 7
  • Fenix and Zeddard now have a battle conversation in Chapter 8
  • Hilda and Fortinbras now have a battle conversation in Chapter 15
  • Galen and Fortinbras now have a battle conversation in Chapter 15
  • Eleanora and Elyse now have a talk event in Chapter 18
  • Shorn and Fenix now have a battle conversation in Chapter 21
  • Miley and Fenix now have a battle conversation in Chapter 21
  • Hilda and Royce now have a battle conversation in Chapter 24
  • Fenix and Royce now have a battle conversation in Chapter 24
  • Tancred and Xelaina now have a battle conversation in Chapter 25
  • Fenix and Zeddard (first form) now have a battle conversation in the Final Chapter
  • Sophia and Zeddard (first form) now have a battle conversation in the Final Chapter
  • Sophia’s bases have been boosted around the board, to make her more viable in hopes she might actually survive a round against Zeddard in the Final Chapter to enable that battle chat, since it’s pretty good.
  • Sophia now gets a defensive-oriented PRF tome, Aetheria, when she speaks to Ormer in Chapter 23, for the same reason as above.
  • Adjusted support point gain rates in a few places to make it easier to hit A-rank before the end of the game for some units with poorer availability. Hitting A-rank still requires units to be deployed together in quite a few maps to achieve, but is more doable in a few cases.
  • Fixed some small spelling and grammar errors throughout

I think the game is in a pretty good state following this update. So, barring bug fixes, I’ll likely leave it alone at this point and turn my attention to the sequel :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Hello! Really enjoying the game so far (not quite beaten it yet though!). I was just wondering if there’s anywhere I can read the full support chains between characters?

Edit: I may be stupid. Did not think to check the Extras menu!! Ignore me.

1 Like

Hey. I noticed some things.

spoilers
  • In the flashback sequence the overmap sprites used are the generic ones for armor knights and wyvern riders for Forness and Zeddard respectively rather than the ones particular to axe armors and sword wyverns. I don’t know if these can be found in the repository but I 100% know at the very least that the axe armor one exists from playing Sun God’s wrath.
  • Sometimes, Royce’s galeforce just doesn’t work. I don’t know why. I know it can’t proc more than once in a turn, but there was an instance after the transition to defending Tordred that it didn’t proc.
  • The holy fragment has a visual bug. when I use it from the prep screen the + 1 to luck will appear outside the stats window instead of over the luck stat.

The following are balancing notes from my experience up until right before ch 17:

• I think you get elysian whips way too late. I spent about half a dozen chapters sitting on pegasi with capped speed and by the time I got my first one my sky mage was lvl 20. The regular pegasus knight is already in a bad spot due to the nature of the hack’s high hp values(even among mages) and relative lack of killer lances thus far so delaying the whips so long feels pretty rough. Even after investing a power ring in her she only went from being inferior to on par with the rest of my units.
  • I don’t understand the purpose of battlelords. As enemy units they’re basically fighters in almost every way. In Rowan’s case he’s essentially an axe armor with 5 move that isn’t weak to armor slayer weapons. It’s like a repeat of the fe6 enemy myrmidon/mercenary problem where the units are essentially reskins of each other before promo.
1 Like
"Spoiler Quote

Might be related to the possible fact that no turns pass when that transition happens - so if Galeforce was triggered before switching to that segment, then its possible to enter that moment with no available galeforces.

I know that wasn’t exactly the cause because Royce didn’t KO anything the turn that the objective transitioned.

Edwin Promote class look weirld. May be the sword too long

2 Likes

This overall has the best gameplay of anything I’ve seen. You understand how to make every unit useful and feel fun at different stages of the game, I never felt bad about having to bench anyone and never felt like anyone was useless when they were on the field. That’s actually so insanely hard to do. Then the way you upgraded units at certain time with personal weapons, when the promotions happened, when ranged tomes were given, its the best out there. Also a lot of the maps are insanely good.

Story is average but doesn’t do any of the weird self-loathing stuff a lot of hacks do for no reason and then the visuals seem pretty standard.

I’m trying to create a game, not an fe hack but a strategy game based on a lot of the same gameplay mechanics, and this will be a top one I look at for how to make the gameplay good.

1 Like

Thanks, Orca much appreciate your feedback! Really glad you enjoyed the game.

I am curious - what is the “weird self-loathing stuff” that happens in some other stories? Is it a main character who doesn’t like him or herself? I want to know so I can avoid it in my next hack :stuck_out_tongue: