[FE8] [Removed by Author] Fire Emblem Deity Device

The scary thing is that Arachne always had Ursula’s face, eyes and all. You probably couldn’t tell because I did such a bad job of recoloring the eyes way back when I made her.

1 Like

Ha, that’s funny - I figured the angle matched up pretty well when I was perusing sprites. Guess now I know why!

1 Like

I really like this hack and I wanted to do something for it.
Portrait Editor Deity Device Part 1.gba_19@13 Ivan_01DAE0F8
Ivan was my MVP so I tidied up his sprite.

8 Likes

Hey everyone. Thanks so much for sending me all of the new portraits. I’ve been updating some of the battle sprites to reflect the new artwork.

helen_new

Helen Update

Deity Device Luke

Luke 1 Update
I’m still not sure if I’m keeping the white on this onw, but the promoted sprite came out good.

Luke Update

adelle

Adelle Update

victordeitydevice

Victor Update

vincentdeitydevice

Vincent Update

There’s more, but you get the idea. Thank you so much for all of the mugs. It really means a lot to me!

Another small thing. I recently put each part through FEBuilder’s rebuild feature to defragment them because the text editor was acting up in the same way that caused me to split the hack into parts in the first place. Adding Vincent’s Gaiden probably ate up whatever space was cleared. I couldn’t get the rebuild to work before the split. Everything seems to be working, and save data is still compatible, though save states are not.

The part of this that is significant for all of you is that this seems to have fixed the scratchiness in parts of the soundtrack. This is actually something I never heard until I changed computers, so it may have to do with how your device runs the emulator, but I tested some of the worst offenders such as Ships and Homes, and they sound fine to my ears, so hopefully the next release will sound better as well.

7 Likes

Just throwing this out there, but if anyone decides to remug Bertram and Olga, feel free to deviate from my designs and give them an Arabian/other desert civilization look since Torn is a desert kingdom. I decided that I didn’t really have the talent to do that, and my head cannon has always been that what you see them wearing isn’t necessarily what they would wear at home but they dress in more typically European medieval clothes when they go to the other parts of Celesia. But don’t feel like you have to reinvent the wheel with them either. A cleaning up of the originals is perfectly fine.

1 Like

mariusddbox
I wanted to try my hand with the DD retouching mania and decided to make Marius not an Ephraim recolor, yet with a similar vibe and color scheme to keep the Marius identity intact.

4 Likes

Thanks. That’s a big help.

1 Like

It’s so cool to see so many people inspired enough by this project to devote their time and energy to contributing to its continued success. Stuff like this is why I really enjoy being a part of the FEU community ^.^

11 Likes

Hey everyone, I’m releasing the Part 2 2.0 patch, but it’s not quite what you think. When FEBuilder first started saying that I couldn’t add the new portraits because the ROM was full, me being me, I split the Part 2 in half, so now Part 2 goes up to Chapter 21, and I’m still working on getting the updated version of the rest of the game out. Sorry that my game is so cumbersome to play.

So here’s what’s new:

Deity Device Part 1.emulator-37

I installed Vesly’s minimug mod to give more information without running in and out of the status screen. Some of the replies that I received after mentioning that the player army is designed around building formations with the various buff skills said that it was difficult to keep straight who has what skill. Hopefully, this will help with that. There seems to be a minor bug where sometimes a unit’s first skill will display twice, also appearing in the last space on the minimug box, but it goes away after selecting any unit. Hopefully this will also help with situations when there are enemies with Anima magic so that it’s easier to check what elements the enemy has.

I also toned down the intensity of some of the map tile pallets based on some advice that I got from Pandan. And there is a new status screen background, modified from one by Kirb that was posted in the Graphics Repository.

I’ve also added in all of the new portraits that I’ve gotten so far, and I updated battle pallets to reflect the new portraits. I guess that the bad of this is that the ones that I made look extra crusty next to the new ones.

Lastly, all Talk events between two player units should be able to be initiated by either character now.

All of these changes are now in the current upload of Part 1 2.0 as well.

Gameplay updates are as follows:

There are a few minor changes to enemy placements and inventories.

There are fewer big changes to talk about because I didn’t get nearly as much specific feedback on Part 2 as I did on Part 1, so I’m hoping that means that the bulk of Part 2 was largely inoffensive.

If I say that something has “Summoning Sickness,” that means that the enemies will not move until the turn after they appear.

Chapter 17

The Turn 1 reinforcements now have Summoning Sickness.

Chapter 18

It is now required that Lailah speaks to Midge in order to successfully recruit Gregory in the next chapter.

Chapter 19

This chapter has been completely rebuilt. I never really received any comments about this chapter one way or another, but I always considered it the weakest map in the game. The map is completely new.

Fielding Vincent and Lucy will initiate a scene where Vincent wants to rescue an imprisoned priest, and talking to the priest with Vincent or Lucy will unlock Vincent’s Gaiden, provided that Vincent and Lucy are alive at the end of the chapter.

Chapter 20

The reinforcements that appear before taking the first two castles have been reduced from eight appearing near each castle to four appearing near castle and each side reinforces every other turn (one reinforces on even numbered turns and the other reinforces on odd numbered turns).

The range reinforcements that appear in the second half of the map now have Summoning Sickness.

Bug Fixes

Orville’s level requirement to access his Gaiden should be correct now.

The replacement Arachne and Victor that you get if they died in Part 1 should properly spawn in Chapter 21.

Again, this goes as far as Chapter 21, though the post Ch 21 Gaidens are playable. Whenever you reach Chapter 22 is when it will stop.

And Vincent’s all new Gaiden is in this update. I promise that this is not just another map with monsters. It actually has gameplay that’s a bit different than anything I’ve seen in Fire Emblem. Hopefully, it doesn’t feel gimmicky. I also had room to add some cheesy late 90’s early 00’s anime sounding music from the Super Robot Wars soundtrack for this chapter (because Vincent wants to be a hero). It’s meant to be a bit hyperbolic, so I hope it doesn’t rub anyone the wrong way. This Gaiden is labeled 19xx even though it plays before 19x. Chapter 19x is a mandatory chapter, so just be aware that the order they appear in is intentional.

Let me know if anything seems like it isn’t working.

The patches are available at the top post or here.

I wanted to get this out for anyone who started with 2.0 and has been waiting to continue the game. I’m also putting together a surprise that will be bundled with the full updated release, but I don’t want to cause too much of a delay because of that.

Edit: Big thanks to Citrus who got the ball rolling with the updated portraits as well as everyone who’s submitted portraits so far: knabepicer, DainnOfGungnir, hypergammaspaces, LegendofLoog, RandomWizard, Sterling_Glovner, and MrGreen3339.

13 Likes

Someone plays magic the gathering

1 Like

Admittedly, I only know how to play from when my brother collected the cards, but I never collected them, myself.

I have a small addendum to the release I put out last night. I meant to change it so that if the requirements were met for Calista to get Indignation, it would be a normal give item instead of a silent give item. Because of the way the spell recharge works, even if Calista has an empty slot at the end of Chapter 10, it will get filled with something if she gets all of the spells that she can from Part 1, so Indignation is almost guaranteed to be sent to the convoy without the player really knowing that they have it. So I made that tweak and changed out the patch in the 2.0 folder. It’s not a big deal if you don’t want to repatch your ROM. You just might have to hunt down Indignation in your convoy.

Is this still two separate files

It’s going to be three.

Part 1 is Prologue through Chapter 10

Part 2 is Chapter 11 through Chapter 21

Part 3 will be Chapter 21 to the Final Chapter

I ran into some issues adding the updated assets, so I split what was Part 2 roughly in half.

1 Like

How many chapters total are there?

1.0 has 39 mandatory chapters and 9 gaidens.

2.0 has 39 mandatory chapters and 10 gaidens.

8x; 12x; 14x; 16x; and 19x are all mandatory chapters.

Ok i only played the first map but already there’s a lot i have to critique (mostly just gameplay)

So, the first map isn’t particularly engaging imo for a few reasons. The biggest two things I noticed were the low number of aggressive enemies and the lack of any real enemy diversity or enemy weapon diversity. None of the enemies or formations really push the player to approach differently. It doesnt have to be very drastic, something as simple as a fast guy with a good sword who doubles your dark rider would prevent the player from simply baiting with her every time, and strong magic enemies could incentivize smart use of the lord’s support spell (which as of right now is totally useless in the context of the map)

Mostly just something that forces the player to break from the norm of Photon Blasting at range, baiting with Vamp, and throwing the other two at whatever’s left

1 Like

Hey. Sorry to hear you didn’t like the first map. I took things pretty slow as far as difficulty in the first three chapters. I wanted to give the player a chance to ease into the things that might be different from standard Fire Emblem while also not limiting accessibility to Hard Mode players. In the context of the first chapter, the thing that I thought might take some getting used to is thinking of your Dark magic user as a physical tank. A player’s experience with Dark magic users will likely be with units such as Canas, Knoll, and Raigh, none of which is physically tanky. The main limit on Arachne in this chapter is that several enemies have Hand Axes, limiting her ability to contribute on enemy phase and making her a free target when in range of Hand Axes.

The other lesson that the first chapter is meant to teach is the importance positioning units to take advantage of skills. Helen can one round the standard enemies at base if they are affected by Calista’s damage buffing skill.

The first three maps are intended to be something of a training area without being a literal tutorial and aren’t intended to be especially punishing for not immediately grasping how the game works.

That may not change your opinion of the first map, but that’s the idea behind why it is the way that it is.

1 Like

that’s enitrely fair, but i feel like you can make maps engaging without them being too hard

however, i do wanna say some positives about the hack, cause i feel like i may have come off as harsh.

• what story ive seen so far is pretty great. this is something i’d heard about the hack, and i’m happy to say it’s warranted. there’s a lotta text, but at least it’s interesting.
  • the secret red gem in chapter 1 reminded me of TLP’s secret elysian whip and that’s cool.
  • holy hell this earlygame map theme is an absolute blast to listen to, i’m a big fan. i don’t know if this is your port or not, but if so, good job, and if not, you have great taste regardless. what’s the song?
1 Like
1 Like

Thanks.

The Red Gem event is admittedly a relic of when I was figuring out how to do things in FEBuilder and getting a feel for what I could do with it, but it was pretty harmless, so it stuck around.

knabepicer beat me to the punch, but the Calista map theme is Eternal Mind from Tales of Eternia (a great and often overlooked Tales game), which was added to the music repository by SaXor_the_Nobody.

Anyway, I hope that you’ll have more fun with the game going forward.

2 Likes