[FE8] [Removed by Author] Fire Emblem Deity Device

Is Midge recruitable on CH 20?

The short answer is yes. If you need more details, please consult the guide that I provided (just so I can avoid having gameplay spoilers here), which is available from a link in the initial post. :grinning: If you are experiencing an issue where Midge is not spawning, there was an oversight in the Part 2 Patch that I uploaded in the first week of release that has since been fixed. You can download the repaired Part 2 Patch, but you may have to restart the chapter depending on your progress. If you downloaded the patches after the first week, you shouldn’t have to worry about that.

1 Like

Okay, new question- How does Genevieve promote?

BTW, I really love this hack. I went into totally blind, and what I’m getting is an amazing well-written story with some very fleshed-out characters.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying the hack. :slightly_smiling_face:

Answer

Genevieve promotes by visiting Chapter 25x.

Thanks! Now, sorry for all the questions, but I have a new one.

Summary

Just to make sure I’m not confusing myself, all I have to do to unlock it is make sure that I clear the chapter before Cecily spawns, right?

And thanks so much for the rapid answers! You’ve been super helpful!

Answer

So long as you’ve kept Olga and Bertram alive and Cecily hasn’t spawned, you should unlock 27x.

Game complete!

Thanks for making this hack! I enjoyed playing it from start to finish. I’m not sure what I was expecting going into the hack initially, but like I said earlier the both the story and characters are really well written.

The gameplay was kinda unbalanced (as you’ve already heard from other sources) but other than a few frustrating points early-mid game this wasn’t detrimental for me. It was really interesting getting to play with unlimited magic… even though 75% of my endgame team ended up being magic users.

And holy cow, Cosette is really good. She was my go-to lategame boss killer.

Summary

She one-shotted Augustus, Marius, and Evonine with Impale Criticals. Midge and Cecily were both really good to once I promoted them. They were my power trio.

1 Like

Hi! I’m on chapter 8x rn and just wanted to share that up to now I’m loving the game – the gameplay has been pretty fun, but the highlight for me have been the characters and the story; they’re really, really well written! Thanks so much for this hack

1 Like

I have just one little question: which class is Cecily?

Spoiler

Cecily has a unique class, so my naming it won’t really tell you anything. I’m assuming that you read about her in one of the guides if you’re asking about her but haven’t seen her yet. If you’re worried about which promotion item to use on her, she comes with her promotion item if you manage to recruit her. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thx for the answer.
By far, I’m really enjoying this game (besides Chapter 8)
I’ll give a review, once I finished it

1 Like

I was recently looking at some of the older assets from Deity Device, and just for something a little different, I thought I would share some things that didn’t make it into the game. Because I released the game in a complete state (maybe not perfect but complete), no one really got to see the good the bad and the ugly of what didn’t make it into the game. A lot of this was just me not settling on animations for the main characters for a long time, but there are some other tidbits. Commentary on each character will be hidden in a spoiler, and you may want to skip this if you’re not toward the end of the game. I actually don’t have a lot of the very earliest assets anymore because most of the game was developed on a very poor computer that couldn’t even run GBA games smoothly, and the flash drive that I had been storing everything related to the game on died after about six months (and I learned a valuable lesson about using storage devices that I was given for free in a training class).

Calista

Calista Magus
Micai-lista

Deity Device FE8 1.emulator2-3
This animation would eventually be used elsewhere… I just didn’t think it suited Calista as well as the one she has now. As for the basic fire spell, because anima magic is so built up in the story, I wanted it to have that kind of impact, hence the more imposing animation for Blast in the released game.

Calista Unpromoted Revised
An alternate palette.

Carson

Carson Promoted
Not a lot changed with Carson, but here he is as an FE7 Sage.

Carson Promoted Revised
And an FE6 Sage.

Nathan

With Nathan, I kind of struggled to settle on animations for him in large part because, until fairly recently, there weren’t that many unique magic animations in the repository for male characters. Designing mage girls seemed to be a lot more popular among the spriting community.

Nathan Monk Style
Nathan Ver 2
Two different palettes based on the monk…

Nathan Promoted
I decided that this animation looked older than Nathan really should. It was also pretty difficult to repalette.

Deity Device FE8 6.emulator-6
Unfortunately, Nathan was unable to channel the ultimate power of being a pantless lord in the released version.

Cosette

Deity Device FE8 4.emulator-0
Cosette was always supposed to look a bit younger than the others, but she looks a bit too young here.

Cosette Necromancer
If you’ve seen this animation before, you might have wondered why I didn’t use it. I decided that the Sage’s animation better fit Cosette’s more athletic stat build than this one based on the necromancer.

Cosette Ver 3 Promoted
Alternate Sage

Cosette Ver 1 Promoted
This one looks kind of odd to me.

Helen and Arachne

I grouped these two together to talk about their role in shaping the game. The first idea I had when the idea of even trying to make a hack crossed my mind was to give the lord a magic Cain and Abel. Cains usually have strength and defense while Abels have skill and speed, which is the opposite of how Helen and Arachne (and Light and Dark magic) are built, but IS often reverses the Cain and Abel builds as well.

Deity Device FE8 3.emulator2-2
Before I found the repository, Arachne’s base class used the Mage Knight animations. And yes, the class role was eventually cut. It was a huge hassle to set it up, and I wound up using its text IDs for story text.

Deity Device FE8 1.emulator2-1
I originally tried to make these ugly yellow palettes work on Helen.

Helen Promoted
Helen also once had the basic Valkyrie animation. The one she has now helped differentiate the Crusader and Templar Classes.

Luke

Luke Promoted
This is before I gave Luke’s promoted sprite a cream colored horse. I think his clothes are based on his original, less saturated clothing.

Luke PNG

Victor

Victor 1
Victor 2
These just show Victor before he was given special animations. He was originally meant to be encountered as an enemy in Chapter 15, and Helen could convince him to join. I thought that giving three (possibly promoted) units from Part 1 back all at once could overshadow the Part 2 units. He eventually became instrumental to reuniting Calista and Nathan, and I gave him unique animations to recognize his importance to the plot. While it might be interesting to imagine an alternate timeline where Victor dies and the party is forced to fight a crazed Calista in the final act of the game, Victor became a retreat unit in Part 1.

Bertram

There isn’t anything too exciting to show with Bertram. But I thought I would mention that he was once a Mercenary, but I didn’t like the idea of a prince being a “Mercenary” even if it’s just a class name. He would have promoted into Hero or Ranger, but with Deity Device’s mechanics Hero just seemed like it would be a very underwhelming class in the Player’s army.

Gregory

Gregory 2
Here’s Gregory as an FE6 Bishop. I think FE6 Bishops look more like clergy members than those in FE7 and 8. I kind of wonder if it was Nintendo of America not wanting religious content that caused the change. FE7 also had Serra who didn’t really look like a Cleric compared to Ellen and Natasha. Anyway, I thought the current animation better fit the athletic stat build of the Dawn Mages.
If you ever wondered why such a serious character has bright magenta hair, the answer is simply that Lailah’s portrait was made first, and I decided that her and Gregory would have the same hair color. On a side note, Gregory and Lailah were very loosely inspired by Luthier and Delthea.

Midge

Midge 2
Midge was originally going to a be a Pegasus Knight. I came up with her expanded storyline because I thought that players wouldn’t really feel motivated to use her as a Pegasus Knight. She was necessary for Gregory to learn Aura, and I thought that players might think of her as “Gregory’s Aura” the same way that Sophia is often called a Guiding Ring. Midge’s Pegasus Knight sprite is still in the game, but you have to try to kill her in Chapter 18 to see it. :frowning_face:

I hope that at least some of that was interesting. I also wanted to mention that if anyone has any interest in using the magic lance animations I made for the Pegasus and Falco Knights, feel free to use them. It’s just the throwing lance animation with the throw frames deleted, though for some reason, that messed up the part of the Falco Knight’s animation where it flies back after the hit in melee combat (the frames would just skip), and I had to reassemble that part of the animation manually.

Deity Device Remake.emulator-10

2 Likes

The 2 main reasons I started playing this was because I see Helen and Cosette has my most favorite color palette, pink-white lol. I always dreaming of having pink-white valkyrie or other female magic type unit in fire emblem and thanks for realizing it dude.

Anyway, I just finished the whole mods and I saw there were Mermaids! OMG!!! Where in the hell did you get the idea? UNDENIABLY BRILLIANT IDEA DUDE! I wish there’s one playable mermaid though. Other than that, the plot is amazing, no random irrelevant filler character (other than Adelle), the main cast has great character development so they’re not flat and ,again, I love most of the color palette you choose for the characters.

2 Likes

i’m going to play this hack after i’m done Dark lord and the maiden of light but how much chapters are there?

1 Like

I look over the graphic repository pretty regularly to see what gets added, and sometimes, I’ll see something that looks like it would work for my game or inspires me to add something. The Mermaid animation was made by Zoraminefae, so he deserves a lot more credit for that than me.

There are 39 main story chapters, and 9 gaidens, though one of the gaidens is only a cutscene with no gameplay segment.

The rebalanced patch of Part 1 is now available from the top post under the Deity Device 2.0 link. I’ve detailed the changes below.

Global Changes

-Spells now have limited charges per chapter. They will refresh between chapters even if they “break.”

-Staves are no longer glued in a character’s inventory and can be freely moved around.

-Most units have had their movement buffed by one. Foot units have six movement with no movement gained from promotion. Mounted units (including fliers) have eight move at base and go up to nine after promoting. However, mounted mages have not had their movement increased.

-Enemies have had their growths increased to some degree. This is generally an increase to a class’s archetypical stats (speed for infantry swords, skill for archer, etc.).

-The Iron and Steel Bows have had their range reduced to three. The Iron Bow has had its might lowered (it equaled the Steel Bow before), but it still does not deal effective damage to fliers.

-The basic ballista has had its maximum range reduced from 15 to 10. It still does not deal effective damage to fliers.

-Enemies that do not move should now have their threat ranges reflect that. This is something that needs to be set individually per enemy, so let me know if you think I missed one.

-Bows have been added to various Armories.

-I fixed an issue where the Dawn mage class would be worth very little experience when defeated and Gregory would gain experience very quickly when promoted.

-There is a new recruitable unit, Vincent the Archer. He has supports and a handful of conversation events added to the game.

Character Changes
Calista

-Calista now starts with Barrier.

-Calista learns a five range multi-heal from the church in Chapter 9 (she still learns Eruption as well) to address concerns about there only being one healer in Chapter 10. I always thought that it was fine because Luke learned a long range healing spell in the previous chapter, but now there are two healers available. Calista’s strength base and growth have been increased because healing scales off of strength.

-Quake, Aqua Edge, and Indignation (not available in Part 1) have all had their range increased by 1.

Arachne

-Arachne no longer has the Lifetaker skill.

Luke

-Luke now learns Torch in Chapter 2.

-Learning Bless no longer removes Mend.

Ivan

-Ivan’s starting level was increased from one to three with his bases increased accordingly.

Lucy

-Lucy now has a different promoted animation that was easier to repalette but still has a knife throwing animation

-Lucy’s PRF weapons will now be repaired between Part 1 and Part 2 like the other characters. This won’t be seen in this patch, but it’s worth noting.

Victor

-Victor’s starting level was increased from one to four with his bases increased accordingly.

Bertram

-Bertram now starts with a Paragon Sword. This will double EXP gain when it is equipped. It isn’t a PRF weapon.

Gregory

-Gregory’s starting level increased from five to eight with his bases increased accordingly.

Chapter Changes
Chapter 2

-Luke will learn Torch at the start of the battle.

-An enemy will drop a Torch item.

Chapter 3

-I fixed a misplaced target for enemies raiding villages.

-I removed the Thief’s Lockpick, so he will go for villages rather than prioritizing opening doors. The thief now appears slightly later.

-This is now a defeat boss chapter instead of a rout.

Chapter 4

-The cavalry reinforcements have been removed.

-There is an optional objective to take a fortress in order to lower the bridge that leads to the boss. There is new story text to explain this.

Chapter 5

-Vincent joins at the beginning of the chapter.

-There is now an alternate way to clear the map. If neither side door is opened by the end of turn 6, the battle will end. If you want to play it the original way as a rout map, just let the enemy thieves open the doors.

Chapter 7

-Player units start further to the south.

-There are fewer fliers, but the the fliers accompanying the bosses are much stronger.

-The cavalry reinforcements come earlier to accommodate the changes. There is a one turn warning before they appear. It’s probably possible to finish the chapter before they appear, but it would be pretty difficult.

Chapter 8 AKA The One Everybody Hates

-The boss will now only be able to use sleep on odd numbered turns. This is pointed out in a newly added dialogue sequence.

-The boss’s magic has been reduced.

-The boss is now immune to ranged attacks.

-An Energy Ring may now be stolen from the boss instead of a Blue Gem.

-Two enemies will drop Pure Water, and one will drop a Torch.

-Arachne will now warn Calista at the beginning that seizing the magic circles will probably cause reinforcements to spawn. I thought it was pretty obvious that enemies would appear as more of the map opened up, but I got a lot of feedback crying ambush spawns, so there you have it.

I know that that doesn’t sound like a lot of changes, but I don’t think I was given credit for all of the fair things in this chapter because people were so frustrated by it. I only gave the Bow Skeletons Iron Bows so that Olga wouldn’t run into effective damage in the dark, and Calista warns Lucy about the traps on the doors. The Player may now judge whether it’s better to wait outside of the boss’s range until the following turn or risk entering it and getting put to sleep.

Chapter 8x

-The enemies are now spaced further apart, and most of the ranged weapons have been removed.

It completely caught me off guard during testing, but the increased movement of the enemies turned this fairly simple chapter into absolute hell, hence the change. Cosette would get surrounded and killed if she moved slightly out of the starting area. This made it either require good RNG or require making it an Orville solo with the Earth Sword in order to get through it.

Chapter 9

-Ceres’s cavalry is spaced further out among her area of the map.

-An oversight where Ceres would not despawn if her castle is seized without killing her and the following event was skipped has been fixed.

-The church has moved to the east side of Cronus’s castle.

-The enemy makeup of Cronus’s part of the map has changed. There is now only one Hex.

-The area of the map between Cronus’s castle and the village is more densely forested.

-The village now gives one of each Killer Weapon instead of only a Killing Edge.

-The village will face attack after entering Cronus’s part of the map.

-The enemy makeup of Cybele’s part of the map is completely different. The enemies are more aggressive, and there are no status inflictors. The Sleep users in the original design were meant to discourage turtling by forcing a charge to get rid of them, but everyone seems to turtle harder when they see them, so I changed it.

Chapter 10

-There are fewer Snipers but the same number of enemies overall. This is to make fighting in the small rooms less restrictive.

-Reinforcements that appear after reaching the switches have changed to a single strong enemy instead of several weak ones.

-An oversight that could potentially cause the switches to activate if the Generals on top of them attack and are not killed by a follow up has been fixed.

-The monster bosses will no longer move on the first turn after both switches have been activated. They will appear like they can move on the first turn because setting them as non-moving enemies will not allow their AI to be changed. This is an engine limitation as far as I know.

-The Accurseds will no longer move.

-Tartarus will lose his Sleep spell if a player unit enters the throne room or the stairs leading to it. This is to make him more aggressive.

My Impressions

Probably the biggest thing that I noticed was that the increased enemy stats made Calista’s ability to delete most enemies regardless of speed feel like an important part of my army rather than something that was just there, and her increased movement and range (I have no idea why I ever thought Quake needed to be one range) make it easier for her to get into the fray. I think that this is a good change because a lot of players seemed to regard Calista as a unit that gets carried around for seizing.

The limited spell charges didn’t factor in much to the way I played. I had Helen gain eight levels in Chapter 9 without running out of spells, so it will take a very well reasoned argument to make me agree that I didn’t give the player enough uses of each character’s magic. The only time I ever felt in danger of running out was Gregory’s Benedictions in Chapter 8 because he couldn’t really use Vamp.

Vincent doesn’t feel like he makes a huge difference, but he has a strong matchup against Pegasi, which can be annoying for quite a lot of the player’s units, so that’s something. He was strength screwed while I was testing, but gaining the Killer Bow in Chapter 9 gave him some nutty crit rates alongside his duel Lightning support with Lucy.

Ivan is now really strong right when you get him and doesn’t feel like he needs to be fed some kills to gain speed.

Overall, I think the experience has improved with a handful of chapters feeling faster to play through.

10 Likes

Hey, these changes sound great! Really encouraging to see you working to improve the project – I’m beyond excited to see where this game ends up ^.^

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I hope that I was able to deliver a better a experience with the update.

To anyone who has gotten as far as Chapter 5 in the new patch…I kept meaning to change “Paragon Sword” to “Paragon Swd” or possibly just “Paragon” because of the way that it appears in the battle screen, but I never actually did it, so it will look really ugly. When I finish updating Part 2, I’ll upload a new Part 1 patch along with it, but even if my inner perfectionist is screaming, it doesn’t feel worth it to reupload the patch just for that. Though if anything seems broken in the new patch, please report it.

“Elite Sword” is so much more manageable textwise…

Could always use the narrowfont patch.

Call me paranoid, but I’m kind of wary of breaking the ROM in some unintended way by installing an unnecessary patch. Maybe I’ll give it a look sometime though.

Deity Device was still completely private back then, but last year around this time I had to completely rebuild it from the ground up (extracted everything and put it in a new ROM, reinput all of the character/item data, redid all of the unit placements etc.) due to conflicting patches. I had just finished programming Chapter 19. I had both the patches for giving characters unique battle BGM based on flags and the patch for allowing different battle music per chapter installed before they were known to conflict (I had installed them way back when I had first started), and the game became completely incapable of loading battle BGM and would crash. Nothing I tried could repair it, and that’s the closest I ever came to giving up on the project. So while the patches are a wonderful thing, and I’m vary grateful to all of the people in the community who develop them and make them available for others to use, I do brace myself for the worst every time that I install one.