[FE8] [Removed by Author] Fire Emblem Deity Device

I do have to say once I finally got past chapter 9 I was hooked all the way until chapter 21. The only reason I stopped playing is because of those awful things we call responsibilities lol. Have some thoughts in sort of random order. Warning of spoilers below to anybody reading:

Thoughts

Writing / Characters

• It’s clear that you’ve put a lot of thought into your writing (and thank you for providing your perspective up there)! The main characters are all well written and made me want to continue the story. I thought it was kind of funny that you brought up how people don’t really relate to Calista when I think she’s my favourite in the game lol. Carson is the one I don’t really care for… while I imagine he’s one of your favs considering your pfp! It’s not like a hatred or dislike, more an apathy. Maybe when I finish the game I’ll have another opinion.
  • While I think the writing is strong there’s a lot of typos in part 2 compared to part 1 imo. I suggest reviewing the script again if possible. Sorry I don’t have any screenshots or specifics right now.
  • Truly struggling what the point of Adelle is as a unit or her role in the story. Please let me know if something comes later without spoilers so I can decide whether or not I judge her so badly. Also while I’m here I’m not really fussed about the portraits for the most part but hers is rough.
  • Eponine’s portrait is also hard for me to take seriously because it’s basically just Eirika with a different shade of blue hair. I mean it’s the same deal with the whole family really but for Eponine it’s especially difficult imo because Eponine is like an insane evil woman.
  • I did Arachne and Ivan’s support line lol it was cute I enjoyed it.
  • Orville: I kind of get what the other person above was talking about in how people can take him the wrong way? I don’t think the pink armour is bad but I do feel the script sort of plays into him being attracted to men for a laugh sometimes. The village where “I would have thought he was trying to proposition people but he was only talking to men” sort of plays out that way imo. Just to be clear I do like Orville and I’m a gay man and think there’s much, much, more to his character than just that. There’s a lot going on and you write him in a way that’s obvious there’s more going on. Little lines like that make me roll my eyes though. Just food for thought.
  • Speaking of Orville mine sucks currently lol but I imagine he gets better for pretty obvious reasons.
  • I actually really like Helen’s arc. Good job. Her being a fucking tank also makes me like her though haha.

Gameplay Stuff

Yeah I know I said I’m not good w/ this earlier but I have thoughts lol.

Chapter 9

• Chapter 9 sucks. I wish I could say something good about it. I got frustrated and decided to save state my way through. So this is an FE4 style map right? FE4 is like my favourite FE and now I finally understand people who say the maps are too big and boring to get through. That is how I felt playing this chapter. :pensive:
  • The enemy spam with Ceres’ unit charging at you out the gate is not fun. That’s like the only objective for her portion of the chapter too. Getting a formation that can get through the cavs and then survive the oncoming onslaught from the light riders was aggravating. Maybe I’m a bad player but just not fun.
  • Actually now that I think about it Ceres’ writing feels kind of weak to me too? I’m struggling to remember if the “That man did he lie to me” about her weapon link ever got patched up. I guess the implication is that it’s the same fellow who manipulated Tartarus? Is this something that will be cleared up or was I suppose to get it at the end of part 1?
  • Ok then we get to the stand-still crew except for the sleep staff mage who will just own you. I basically baited out enemies one at a time which was tedious.
  • Not directly related to this chapter but I think the church mechanic is genuinely fantastic. I get very excited when I see a church on the map I guess that’s what is going for it.
  • Then you repeat parts 3/4 with different unit types but they don’t move and you can basically just bait them out one at a time. Harder with light magic but still very possible.
  • I think this map just needs a complete overhaul. There has to be some sort of side objective/time crunch to push you going forward. Kind of like how Disturbance in Augustria forces you to go quickly so you can get the Bargain Ring.

Chapter 10

• Honestly I think this chapter is mostly pretty good. I don’t think your healer being blocked to one route is overly oppressive. The only thing I think is sort of dumb is the immediate ambush on top of you spawns. It’s not horrible but it honestly adds zero value to the chapter at all.

Part 2 Stuff

• I agree with everybody else when they say your gameplay gets better (and even peaks) early part 2. I really enjoyed the chapter which preceded Cosette’s Tidal Wave cutscene. Putting two twilight mages in a forest like that got me thinking about how to use Harold to aggro people lol.
  • Gonna agree with whoever said there’s too many reinforcements in chapter 20. Making it every second turn or just reducing the unit count overall if you keep every turn would be a nice QoL adjustment. Not impossible because I used Harold to aggro all of the south map archers/knights but it’s still a pain.
  • You are correct in saying that status elements are much more manageable in the second prat of the story. Giving us a hex right at the beginning of part 2 is really nice. It’s been fun getting to return the favour to my enemies.
  • I didn’t deploy Gregory in Chapter 20. I imagine that was probably a mistake but I wanted to promote my stragglers (cough Adelle cough).

I think in general your smaller maps are more successful compared to your larger maps.

There’s a part of me that really wishes you shared your work during development. I only play hacks so I couldn’t help but there’s a lot of people here who are incredibly knowledgeable and engaged with the community who would fine polish this game. I really like it a lot but I think with some edits it can really shine.

Also if I’m misremembering anything please feel free to correct me because I’m tired lol.

2 Likes

I get this. I kind of had to adopt a view that supports don’t necessarily happen within the story when the player activates them (I hope that makes sense). Supports are kind of a challenge to write just because I was faced with making them interesting/funny while also keeping them not critical to the story.

If I’m being honest, when it came to forcing myself to sit and write all of the supports over the course of several days, I gave serious consideration to just implementing FE3/5 style preset support bonuses, but that can feel restrictive in the sense of “I’m using this unit, so I have to use this other one to get the most out of him/her.” I also thought that removing the support limit would allow too many bonuses to be stacked (I guess I could make the bonus for each support tiny, but that would just make supports irrelevant unless the player keeps his units together all the time). I won’t say it’s perfect, but I wouldn’t say there’s anything as bad as FE7’s Renault where he’s very important to the plot but actually reading his supports in game is incredibly cumbersome to do.

Secrets about the support system

There are actually six pairings that I consider canonical, and if the units in the pairing share an A support at the start of the final chapter, they have a Talk event in the final chapter which functions as a fourth support and each one of these that is viewed extends the ending of the game. These pairs are generally hinted at, but you have to use the support mechanic for them to exist at the end of the game. It’s kind of like how Eliwood and Ninian are handled.

I’ve honestly had this same thought, and I’ll address it in a spoiler.

Cosette as Leader

Cosette was actually one of the last playable characters to be created. Most of the cast existed as a list of units in a notebook by the end of January 2019, but Cosette didn’t come about until around June. The only character who came later than her was Cecily whose concept came to me while I was writing her debut chapter, and I went with it.

Cosette came from me having the idea to add an inexperienced younger child of a noble family who decided to side with the player army and go against her family. This was meant to provide an optional Anima user (which did not pan out at all). The more that I thought about how to work such a character into the story, the more important she (and her family) became. Eventually, the story took it’s current form of Cosette becoming the Liberation Princess, and thus, the initial concept of Carson leading a sort of rebel army against Celesia was set aside. Carson wound up in more of an advisory role in the main party dynamic, and his starring scenes are generally ones dealing with magical lore and theory while Cosette became the main military commander. This makes Cosette the most like a typical FE lord of anyone in the main cast as far as how she unites several nations behind a common cause and grows in experience and confidence throughout the story (and has blue hair).

Development of Deity Device began in FE7 before I realized that FE8 hacking in builder was more advanced, but the first chapter was, at one point, fully built in FE7. Because I started in FE7, the original plot had three main lords, Calista, Carson, and Nathan. When I switched things over to FE8, I put Calista in Eirika’s slot and Carson in Ephraim’s. When it came to adding the Cosette chapters, it was honestly a bit of a struggle as the game does not like having main story chapters (non-monster skirmishes) where neither “Eirika” nor “Ephraim” is on the map. I had to set up a few patches in order for these to work without the curser spazzing out and glitchy map tiles appearing. FE8 isn’t really meant to have FE10 style party switching, so I’m glad that I didn’t have to scrap the Cosette chapters due to technical limitations. In the end, the reason why Cosette doesn’t seize is because I didn’t want to mess with the set up I had once I had it working.

I am glad to see Cosette getting some appreciation in any case. Her big scenes are some of my favorites in the game.

I’m glad you’re enjoying the game! I put a response to some of your comments in the spoiler below.

Answers to questions and general replies

I’ve honestly never tried to make Adelle work. She’s kind of just a “bad unit” and doesn’t have much of a niche beyond her join chapter when she takes some of the pressure off of Lailah just by being another unit who can deal damage. Sorry if it stings to read that.

With Ceres, it is meant to be implied that the hooded man who has been working behind the scenes provided her with a spell that she couldn’t handle. The scene with the priestess warning her about the spell before she goes into battle is meant to sort of spell this out, along with the fact that she has low magic and weapon ranks in axes and bows despite appearing as a magic unit. So her death quote is meant to imply she was suffering from the strain of the spell as she died. I wanted to introduce the concept of using magic beyond one’s ability being dangerous before the scene where Cosette uses Tidal Wave. Also, Ceres is not on the castle, but the story continues as though she fell in battle after her castle is seized. If the player seizes without killing her (an extremely obtuse thing to do), a scene plays where she dies from spell feedback.

As far as Orville, he’s pretty average in his base class, and the player needs to get to his sidequest in order to make him good. Gameplaywise, he’s meant to be the healer on Cosette’s team (in my yet unpublished character guide I compare his early performance to a Gaiden Cleric where he was healing alongside his Earth Sword for damage). And I’m sorry if you found certain things about Orville annoying. When I originally created the character, he wasn’t much more than a gay Sain who would flirt with all the boys, and he didn’t have much involvement in the main plot, but I rewrote him as a more serious character with the only remnant of the original concept being his crush on Luke (it didn’t seem outlandish to me that he would like one of the guys in the army). And as Cosette’s role evolved during development, so did Orville’s. But I don’t think that the finalized version of Orville really has much to do with his sexuality. It’s just kind of there. He has a support line with Victor that’s all about training versus natural talent without anything flirtatious.

The above pictures are of Orville as a Cavalier in the first build of the game. He’s really changed a lot.

Her battle performance is meant to be a reward for her more complicated recruitment, and even then, she requires a lot of babying to take off. Even after she gets strong, her low HP and Defense make it difficult to leave her exposed to much on maps where the player has a Leadership deficit. As far as her crit rate…FE5 is full of units with guaranteed crit set ups through the PCC mechanic (Asbel’s Grafcalibur comes to mind). These things do make it into the official games.

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your kind offer. I was pretty caught up with replying to feedback. If you are interested in cleaning up the portraits, I would appreciate the help, though I should mention that some Deity Device characters have had their color schemes used on characters in the project that I’m calling DD0.

Sneak Peak?

With those responses done, I have a general question for those who have played while I’m working on rebalancing some things. When enemy quality is discussed, do those who have played want to see enemies with higher stats or just things like effective weapons popping up here and there? I have to admit that I haven’t played many hacks, and the ones that I have would probably be considered pretty old at this point. The two that I have finished are The Last Promise and Requiem, and it was my experience with Requiem that led me to not change enemy growths/bases from vanilla unless it was a class that I had invented. In that game, enemy stats tend to be very high while player character base stats are very low. This is further complicated by enemies giving very little experience because they are low level despite their high stats. I actually wound up save scumming my level ups with the movement arrow just to make sure I got something worthwhile when I finally did get a level up. I don’t generally have fun with games where most of the difficulty is built around the player character(s) being weak or highly limited. Anyway, feel free to chime in on enemy strength.

2 Likes

Is it possible to only make 2 supports active at a time?

Secrets

That explains the 2 talk events i didn’t get at the end. Thought as much, honestly xD.

Honestly, in general, i find the support system as it currently is in FE to be pretty lackluster, and even 3H, which i consider the best iteration of the support system, had me thinking ‘‘It would be better without/if you get the talks in the plot instead’’. So i don’t exactly blame you for sticking with an FE staple, it’s just as i generally don’t like that staple to begin with xD

And my dislike of it grows every time haha.

I see. I did have the feeling sometimes that the engine itself was holding you back, as i imagine, for example, a MP system would work with your story very well, which afaik is impossible in FE8.

I always love characters like her, and her big scenes hit me very hard. Glad i got A-support between her and Orville

Excitement
So a prequel?

Kinda a mix of both, BUT, you should also rise the right enemy stats, mainly offensive ones. Don’t make enemies too tanky or it would be a pain and make the game slower, and if you are going with high quality enemies you gotta reduce their numbers alot.

Yeah doesn’t sound fun, at all. Making enemy strong doesn’t mean make player units weak.

I agree, definetly.

Did you play Conquest and/or New Mystery?
Conquest gives enemies threatning skills and high attack, and there’s the whole attack/def stance to factor, while New Myster gives enemies high offensive values while keeping their def values low (however New Mystery has some of the worst ambush spawns ever, which makes it one of my least fav. games in the series for that reason xD).

There’s also how you want to fit the game with your story. You wanted to go for a Jugdral like experience (and the game oozes Jugdral love), and i dare say you succeded, and if you change that too much, you might lose that, so you have to see how you gonna do it. Even FE5 has alot of low quality enemies that are usually non-threatning.

Some maps also need a size decrease to reduce walking amount.

2 Likes

Ah ok I understand the first point a lot better now. When I start to think about it I can see where you introduce parts of it. I got massively frustrated with this chapter gameplay wise and I think that’s probably why I didn’t understand it as much. If I was to play the game again I can probably recognize foreshadowing.

And no worries about Orville :). I think he’s a pretty interesting fellow at the end of the day.

2 Likes

I haven’t played New Mystery. I recently played OG Mystery for the first time, but I understand that the two are pretty different gameplay wise. As for Conquest, I only ever finished it once around release. I’ve tried to go back to it a few times, and I usually become annoyed with how so much of the late game is built around debuffing the player’s units. And that’s with me playing like a scrub with DLC classes like making Elise a Witch and Odin a Dark Flier.

I’m currently making my way through Three Houses on Maddening, which hasn’t annoyed me too much yet (I haven’t hit timeskip yet, and I hear that Hunting by Daybreak is really ugly in Maddening). I’m not a huge fan of how my units can rarely survive more than a hit or two (if they aren’t outright doubled and one rounded), but it’s doable with Divine Pulse. Though the design of needing to use Divine Pulse to avoid being murdered by random ambush spawns is questionable in its own right. But debuffs are much less punishing than Conquest, so that’s something.

One thing I have to admit is that my definition of “ambush spawns” has always been: enemies who show up during enemy phase and move without a chance for the player to react, which I never have in Deity Device. But judging by some of the feedback I’ve been getting, enemies that appear when a player unit steps into a given area are also considered “ambush spawns.” So I’ll look over what I have and decide if they add to the chapter (the much hated Chapter 10 reinforcements are getting the axe). Though they were kind of necessary in the final chapter because of the enemy unit cap. I couldn’t fully populate the map from the start.

I do have a prequel in the works because I decided there was a story to tell about how things became like they are in Deity Device. But please temper your excitement with the fact that DD0 is only a few scribbles in a notebook and a prologue chapter at the moment. :zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

I don’t think this is true. Off the top of my head, in 14x, the revenant reinforcements are ambush spawns. Note that it’s possible to have zone-based reinforcements that don’t spawn immediately when the player steps into an area (and can effectively be ambushes in that the player has no units with which they can react with, if they moved in the wrong order); see chapter 1’s reinforcements in FE8.

2 Likes

yeah it was annoying how long the debuffs lasted. 1 Turn debuffs should be fine though

actually there is a couple here and there. Don’t remember where exactly, but it’s a thing. Maybe something you overlooked?

nonetheless, Good luck!

2 Likes

I finished Deity Device around a week ago and wanted to give my thoughts on it here. Overall, I’d say it’s a pretty cool hack, well worth playing for a good story and some interesting gameplay mechanics. I think the peak of the hack, as some others have mentioned, was early Part 2. The map after Adelle’s join, Chapter 14, is probably the best in the game, and the story is really good in this section. Before I get into specific feedback, here’s a few bugs I saw:

Bugs

Main issues I saw: Victor or Arachne dying causes some weirdness with how they load back in. They load in normally during the Callista gaiden, but when they return in 21, they’re both level 1 and unequipped. The original Arachne seems to load in also after the chapter, so you end up getting two of them. However, Arachne’s gaiden forces her new spell onto the level 1 unit. I’m assuming this weirdness only happens if they’re dead.
Deity_Device-122
Deity_Device-191
Deity_Device-192

Midge doesn’t seem to have a flier weakness, not sure if that’s intentional actually but it seemed odd.

In Chapter 9, skipping the event after seizing the first castle causes Ceres to not despawn as she should.

Any boss with Sleep (there are a few, but the standouts are Chapter 10 and the final chapter) will prioritize using it over attacking, so they are easily cheese-able (the final boss in particular was easy; I just put him to sleep with Walter and killed him within two turns).

On the gameplay side of things, I do have a couple of gripes. Others have already mentioned the size of some maps being fairly large and the lowish enemy quality. I think you could probably just increase class growths in Strength/Magic, Skill, and Speed and/or increase weapon hitrates to make generics a bit more threatening. More effective weapons on enemies is also an option to curb horse/flier/mage dominance. It’s something that would need some finetuning, but if you do this and reduce the number of enemies a bit accordingly, it would make the units run over the game a bit less.

I’d also suggest reducing the number of area spawns and seize spawns as much as possible (and removing the ambush spawn on Turn 1 EP during Chapter 17, felt pretty unnecessary). Area and seize spawns can often feel like ambushes in that if the player moved their units in a specific way, then they’re unable to respond to the new enemy units, which can feel unfair as a blind player. The only reason it was usually okay is because enemy quality is low, and therefore, they didn’t often screw me over. When they did though, it was very frustrating (I lost Arachne in Chapter 10 this way, due to the mages on the left combined with the mounted bow unit killing her over the wall, both triggered by an area spawn that I couldn’t react to). You could refresh the player’s units after an area/seize spawn, but it would probably be ideal to reduce the spawns wherever possible.

The Chapter 20 spawns also stand out as tiring since they spawn over and over, without warning, and right on top of you. If I didn’t have Harold on the left side, then they could have attacked my squishy units and killed them relatively easily, if they hit. Also felt that the Chapter 26 mage knight formation encouraged huddling in a corner more than anything due to how strong they all are, their effective weapons, and the boss being able to move. I barely managed to kill enough that I could bait the other two to kill summons while moving forward, but it was really close.

Something that also seemed rough is how important gaidens are, to the point that not getting them felt very punishing. As an example,

Spoilers

If one of Olga, Ivan, or Bertram dies, the other two never rejoin with no 18x, and you don’t get Cecily since you can’t access her gaiden. In my case, I lost Olga in like Chapter 3 and chose not to reset. Losing four units for the price of one is something a player could never really foresee, and it ended up feeling kind of unfair to me, especially considering the small cast size. It’s particularly strange because other characters that this could happen to, like Victor, Arachne, and Helen, get a free pass presumably due to story importance. My suggestion is to give the aforementioned trio the same treatment and have them spawn as Level 10 versions of themselves if they “died” in Part 1.

Another example:

Spoilers

Losing Luke in Part 1 and choosing not to reset is one of the worst things that could happen to a player in this game. Even beyond all the great stuff that Luke has like Hammerne, Bless, and Restore, you lose Seraph Fire, Orville’s promotion + Mystletainn + the El tomes, and Forseti/Trueseti. That’s a pretty high price for a single unit’s death, not even counting what you already lose from having a unit die. This makes the game very hostile to ironmanning or even just not resetting after every unit death.

Speaking of Orville, his requirement that he be Level 16 or higher to get the gaiden… kinda makes no sense? If it’s just about being a level high enough to promote, then it should only be 10. Level 16 feels very arbitrary, and in my case, he was level 15 and some change, so I was just out of reach at the beginning of 21x. I only knew about the gaiden due to a friend also playing it, so I went in and checked the requirement, decided it was silly, and removed the check, lol. If it was just stuff for him, I wouldn’t have bothered, but locking your lord’s strongest weapon behind a level check on a completely unrelated character seems pretty harsh.

Going off a point I mentioned earlier, the cast size seems pretty small at 23 permanent units over 47 chapters. Sacred Stones has more characters, and it’s half the length. I didn’t even lose that many units, really (just the one I mentioned already which caused a chain reaction, and Max), but I found myself deploying less than the maximum amount sometimes because specific units just weren’t worth deploying (like Adelle, for instance). I particularly felt this during the two chapters where:

Spoilers

You lose all of your light/dark mages due to some plot reasons. Wasn’t a fan of this either, since it felt like it really wasn’t necessary to do and massively constrained who I could deploy.

There are a number of unrepresented classes that you never get as playables currently, and I think all of them, barring monster classes, would be good to give to the player. Even giving some extra copies of certain classes like another thief or two would be nice since you only get one over the entire game.

Finally, although the magic system is interesting, it’s pretty imbalanced, in my opinion. It’s much, much better than physical weapons due to range creep and the aforementioned low enemy quality. If physical users had meaningfully higher damage and enemies were strong enough to warrant it, then there might be a niche for them, but as it stands, pretty much everyone can kill enemies with ease, so higher range or effectiveness is generally more useful. The only physical users who can stand on even ground with magic users are probably Orville and Harold, but everyone else is pretty eh in comparison.

That’s pretty much all I have to say on the gameplay, so next comes the story. imo, it can be distinctly separated over three main areas: Part 1 (Prologue to Chapter 10), Part 2 (Chapter 11 to Chapter 21xx), and then Part 3 (everything that comes after). I thought that Part 1 and 2 were pretty solid over all, but I didn’t like Part 3 very much. Specific stuff:

Spoilers

Part 1, although very wordy at the start, generally has an interesting story. Glenn at this point is less obviously pure evil until the end, so he’s more compelling, and the plot is going places. I was fairly invested and looking forward to the story in the second patch.

The beginning of Part 2 pretty much delivered and kept the momentum going. The dynamic between early Carson and Nathan was pretty solid, and I liked the group that you had in the main chapters. I was fairly ambivalent on the Cosette gaidens; while I like Cosette generally, her conversations with Orville are extremely repetitive. The basic cycle is this; something bad happens -> Cosette doubts herself -> Orville comforts her -> she thanks him -> rinse, repeat. It happens very often, to the point that I became very bored whenever I saw both of them due to the predictability. Eponine is fine enough as a villain, not much else to say there.

Part 3 starts off with a bit of a doozy of a chapter. The amount of dialogue in the beginning of Chapter 22 is pretty long compared to recent chapters, and it worsened my opinion of several characters. Callista, despite having gone through so much to see Nathan again, is still (somehow) considering going back to Glenn, after he lied to her about Nathan being dead, among many other terrible things. It doesn’t feel very realistic that she falls back on her obligation to her duties now, after flouting them repeatedly over the last couple of chapters. The entire opening scene feels like she’s regressed as a character just in time for Vesta to die and make her feel bad about it. The Vesta “death” scene itself is pretty whatever as she comes back in two chapters anyway and spends most of it detailing how Cosette and Calista hate themselves, which didn’t really feel like it needed to be there.

In 23, there’s a good number of monologues and characters telling rather than showing. My advice is always “why use lot words when few do trick?” It feels like the dialogue could be significantly reduced without losing the meaning behind it, and as is, it felt like a drag to read through it. I generally liked the plot, but long winded segments like this are hard to get through, and most endgame chapters have at least one, if not more. I was also kinda iffy on Vulcan’s death as it didn’t really feel necessary, but I see why you did it (to force more character development for Nathan and Calista).

24 does the classic “enemy bosses retreating after you obliterate them” schtick with Glenn and Jake (who has already gotten this privilege once). I personally dislike retreating, but beyond that, it was fine. Genuinely liked 24x along with most gaidens since they gave some insight into the side characters.

Marius’s death is like Vulcan’s but way worse. He’s one of the dumber Camus-type characters I’ve seen yet, in that he actually rejects healing with magic or something for completely asinine reasons. Orville’s meta reference to Eldigan doesn’t help matters either as it feels like you’re holding up a neon sign that says, “Hey, look! This guy’s a Camus!” If Marius was closer to Vulcan in his reasoning, I wouldn’t mind as much, but as is, it’s difficult for me to take his death or Cosette’s crying scene seriously due to how stupid Marius is. Also doesn’t help that Cosette’s scene has Orville, and I’ve already said my piece on Cosette/Orville scenes.

If Olga was alive, I might have more to say on 27/27x, but since she wasn’t, the only real thing of note was the super evil spooky man being revealed to be the Patriarch. Not really a surprise in the standard way because JRPG church being evil is the oldest “twist” in the book. I was surprised that the story actually went for that despite it being so obvious, so it wrapped around to being a twist anyway.

28/29/30 are kind of a blur honestly, not much to say there. Glenn dies which is cool.

31 is a large dump of text on the Church’s motivations, which, as expected, they are wholly evil. The story feels very black and white in general; on the one side, you have the heroic typical JRPG protagonists, and on the other, you have the typical evil church oldies. There’s little nuance involved, so the main antagonists end up feeling very meh after Eponine (who wasn’t particularly deep, but her motives were understandable after she gets wrecked by Cosette.). This makes it somewhat difficult to care about the central conflict of the story, in my opinion. If the Patriarch and Matriarch were less blatantly evil, the story would benefit from it overall. Regardless, this would have been an ok if a little disappointing ending if not for the next chapter.

Mankind’s World is very anti-climactic. Augustus is a huge nothing character until this point; he shows up maybe once or twice beforehand, and the last you see of him is his imprisonment by Glenn. He doesn’t really seem like endgame boss material at all in comparison to the Patriarch who’s been built up since Chapter 2.5, and he’s so comically elitist (peasants bad, nobles good) that I found myself liking him more than the main characters. His death is particularly wild. Killing yourself because you don’t want to be a commoner tops even Marius’s stupidity, and the response from Cosette (“It can’t be helped”) made me laugh, which probably wasn’t the intended reaction.

The scene that follows, where the main characters define what a human is, felt a little unnatural.i couldn’t really envision actual people saying a lot of these lines. Part 3 has an issue with this in general, where sometimes, characters speak in a manner that feels like it’s for the sake of the player or expressly communicating themes, but this scene in particular takes it to another level. I think this chapter weakens the ending of the hack in its current state. It unfortunately leaves the story off on a meh note for me when I had previously liked most of it.

I could probably mention more, but this post ended up being much longer than intended, so I’ll leave it here. Despite any criticisms I have, I still enjoyed the hack quite a bit overall. It was a cool experience, definitely worth the time I spent playing it, and I’m looking forward to DD0 and any future development on DD (also, for fun, here’s the units I brought to the last chapter + some quick thoughts on them):

Endgame Units

Deity_Device-196
Nathan was pretty solid, all things considered. Restore was pretty invaluable as it made playing around status staves much easier, and I found a lot of use for Barrier as well. His actual combat is kind of so/so since his promotion is so late, but he definitely contributed sometimes.
Deity_Device-197
Carson is wild lol. He starts off pretty reliant on White Pool to get one rounds reliably, but he snowballs super hard after promotion. Forseti is bonkers, pretty fun unit.
Deity_Device-198
Cosette was the other hard carry in lategame besides Carson. Spread/Tidal Wave was pretty clutch for a lot of late bosses since many have really high Res, and Orville Charisma + support buffs her hitrates to the point that she can kill them fairly reliably.
Deity_Device-199
Calista wasn’t that crazy for me since Big Bang comes so late + I didn’t level her that much in Part 1, but I also didn’t abuse Vantage+ as much as I could’ve. Still a solid unit, contributed a good deal later on.
Deity_Device-200
Powerstaff Dancer/10. White Pool just makes her utility even greater. Pretty fun unit to play around overall, was sad when she was gone for two chapters due to that.
Deity_Device-201
Magic fliers are somewhat divisive, but Midge was fun to use. Kind of filled the Est quote for me since I never got Cecily, lol. I don’t even usually train Ests, but with those kind of crit rates, it was too tempting to not do it. She ended up contributing quite a bit, though her rescue utility was fairly limited due to female Aid sucking.
Deity_Device-202
Lailah filled the Gregory void for a while and ended up being a great unit in her own right (6 Range Solar Ray is overpowered as hell). Her Speed ended up being a bit of a problem towards the end, but her range and power made up for it.
Deity_Device-203
Gregory is possibly the most epic unit in the hack. Definitely my favorite due to how hard he carries late Part 1 and how much of a beast he is when he rejoins. After the Midge/Greg/Lailah gaiden, he ascended to a new level of godhood. 46 AS on EP… absolutely insane unit.
Deity_Device-204
While I didn’t care that much for Orville in story, he was super solid gameplay wise. Earth Sword and Recover made him really great at healing himself and others early on, and post gaiden, he has 14 effective range with a Silver Bow or 13 with a Brave Bow. Mystletainn is also obviously crazy good. Good unit, would hack his gaiden in again.
Deity_Device-205
The champ. Honestly, I would have been more annoyed at a lot of chapters without this guy pulling all the aggro. The S rank Lance just made him crazy strong, and this is one of the few times I’ve proudly given an armored unit boots lol.
Deity_Device-206
Somewhat underwhelming. Her damage isn’t bad per se, but since everyone else is doing around as much damage but at higher ranges, her combat wasn’t that useful for me unless I absolutely needed one more unit. Still, only unit that can open chests in the hack afaik, so she’s got that going for her.
Deity_Device-207
Walter starts off pretty shaky, but once he gets Sleep and a few levels under his belt, he just starts powerleveling. 100 Exp for each Sleep seems really high, and I ended up using 20x to give him tons of exp along with Midge. The summons only make him even stronger. Really fun unit to use.
Deity_Device-208
Warp/Rescue bot came at just the right time to skip late game maps. Didn’t find myself using her healing much if at all, but that’s fine. She did her job, which is enabling warpskips lol.
Deity_Device-209
Helen is a unit I leaned on a lot in Part 1 and early Part 2 right after she rejoins. I never even got Solar Ray and still found her to be really good, so she’s uh, pretty busted. Definitely better than Arachne, for whatever that’s worth. Original crit god with Seraph Fire and Luke support, held up late into the game.
Deity_Device-210
His combat turned out kind of underwhelming, but that’s fair enough given everything he has going for him. His utility is really insane (Bless, Restore, and Hammerne are all pretty great). He occasionally killed things with Divine Saber when I needed him to, but beyond that, mostly rescued stuff and supported Helen.

3 Likes

Thank you for the feedback, and I’m glad that you enjoyed the game despite some issues that you had with it. And thank you for letting me know that the replacement version of Arachne isn’t working correctly. I’ll have to take a look at it.

I’m going to respond to some of your points in a spoiler tab because they touch on some late game things.

Spoilers

When it comes to missing out on other things because you lost a unit, a lot of those things are meant to be hidden pretty deeply within the game. I’m not exactly expecting every first time player to find Orville’s promotion or recruit Midge and Cecily. The reason Forseti is so powerful is because of how much needs to go right in order to get it (it’s not like Carson struggles to kill with Thunderblade). And I double checked Orville’s level requirement for his gaiden, and it’s greater than or equal to 15, so a level 15 Orville should have been enough. I’m not sure if you edited the event before trying to get it. As for why this level requirement exists, it’s so that you have to put in some work to get it, and the game doesn’t just give you Master Knight Orville for free.

Magic is so strong because it’s meant to be. The Celesian Empire revolves around identifying and utilizing people with magical ability. I would find it kind of silly if the story made a huge deal about magic and then it wasn’t anything special when put into practical use (cough crests cough). Love it or hate it, it could be compared to how FE4 has a ceiling for how good a unit without major holy blood can become. I will say that I think your point about all physical units being bad is somewhat undercut by the fact that Harold seemed to be so important to your run. I’ve never used him after Cosette’s and Carson’s parties merge and he’s no longer auto deployed because I didn’t think his stat spread really helped against magic enemies, but apparently he can be good.

As far as your comments on the story, I think that a lot of them come from you expecting the characters to act the way that you would act and not the way that they would act based on their own beliefs and experiences. And I don’t say that to say that your experience of the story is invalid, but I think that you’re expecting the characters to look at things the way that you would look at things and that’s keeping you from understanding why they do what they do.

Probably the biggest thing that I would say is underlying a lot of your critique of the story is that I don’t think you’re taking into account that the characters legitimately and fervently believe in their religion. Marius believes that Cosette was nearly killed as a result of his violating their proclamation that Calista would be Glenn’s wife, and most of his subsequent actions are about trying to atone through complete obedience to Glenn and those who he believes are the mouthpieces of the gods. And yes, you can say that it’s just a fake religion in a fictional setting, but it isn’t to the characters within the game. I’m not saying that Marius thought everything through rationally, but real people often act irrationally, even in matters of life and death.

The same can be said about your comments regarding Calista. Even if Glenn was mistreating her, it doesn’t change that, in that moment, she believed that everyone in Celesia would die unless she followed the will of the gods and bore a child for Glenn and gave her life as a Maiden. She still had not made peace with here own actions at the end of Part 1, and going through with her duties was the best thing she knew to make amends for them. As far as her flouting her duties in the preceding chapters, I honestly don’t know where you got that. In the preceding chapters she was in a drug induced haze, and she didn’t even know how she had been reunited with Nathan when she woke up.

Cosette leans on Orville for support because she’s a sixteen year old girl with the fate of a nation resting on her shoulders. She thinks that she can’t show any weakness in the open because she doesn’t want the people who believe in her to lose confidence. She’s introduced as being rather whimsical and irresponsible but with a great amount of empathy, and she doesn’t have all of the answers that she needs to make sense of her status as the Princess of Rhine versus her disagreement with the Occupation’s actions. So she often turns to Orville because as she said, he treats her like she can think for herself.

I never really believed that the Patriarch being the hooded man had been a secret to the player. That’s why when he’s defeated in Chapter 27 he says, “What is it? You don’t even look shocked.” There are plenty clues throughout the game as to his identity. However, the characters don’t see all of those scenes. They don’t see Gregory remark on his return to Rhine after the previous chapter had shown the Patriarch in Celesia managing Glenn. I was never expecting the player to see that scene and think “How can this be?”

As for your comment that the church is black and white evil. That’s fine if that’s your take, but the story never sidesteps the fact that what the party decides to do will make life harder for the people of Celesia; they decide that they are going to change a system which forces one individual each generation to die for the sake of a bountiful land. There isn’t any existential threat hanging over the world at the end of the game that wasn’t a response to their actions. There is no Garnef about to enslave the world with the power of an evil dragon. If the player characters did nothing, it’s likely that nothing much would have happened to Celesia at large. Five people would have been used as the raw materials to create a new Blessing, and some form of the Maiden system would have continued into posterity. That’s about it. So I don’t think it’s really as black and white as you make it out to be. The church’s methods can actually take care of most of Celesia. I’ve actually been bracing myself for someone to come in the forum and try to convince me that the player characters were in the wrong. The end of the game is a philosophical struggle about the value of human life, which is why the characters often speak in philosophical terms about what is going on.

As for the final chapter, the point of this chapter is that dismantling the Blessing isn’t enough for Celesia to change, and my response to your points about Augustus would pretty much be an echo of my response to your thoughts about Marius, you’re substituting your own appraisal of the importance of the title of emperor for the character’s and not thinking of things in terms of the society in which the game takes place. And Cosette’s comment about his taking his own life is just a summation of what happened. If he would take his own life before even trying to live in another way, then it can’t be helped. The discussion about what it means to be human at the end of the game is there because there isn’t anything left for them to do other than remake Celesia with a new form of government, and because I didn’t think anyone would want to watch them drafting a charter on screen, I left an idea of what they were going to do and the idea behind what they will do for the player.

2 Likes
Spoilers

Yeah I think your point on stuff being hidden is fair enough. I don’t really like extremely powerful stuff hidden behind gaidens, but that’s just a personal opinion. I did find that Carson struggled at times with Thunderblade due to it weighing him down enough to not double at times (really only against super fast enemies), but that’s a nitpick, he does well enough usually. As for the Orville gaiden, I didn’t modify it before not getting it. I went back and checked the requirement in builder. Looks like currently, the event branches past the flag setting if the result is less than or equal to 15, so a level 15 orville gets locked out. If it’s changed to just be a less than check, it should function as intended.
Screenshot 2021-04-02 193203

Also yeah, your explanation on magic being strong makes sense. I do want to note that Harold isn’t good because he’s a physical weapon user; he’s good in spite of that. Maybe it’s more accurate to say that physical weapons are just not that good, but some of the users can be. In Harold’s case, Provoke + Short Shield gives him a surprisingly strong niche in drawing aggro, and since there are a lot of enemy units, this is a fairly valuable niche that gives him a lot of experience from misses/no damage. When you add Barrier on top of that, he’s taking 13 less damage from magic units barring any Res he might have. As an example, my endgame Harold has an effective 25 Res with Barrier up, 19 against any mages that are forced to 1 range. Even if he had no weapons at all, he would still probably be good, and I only really considered his combat worth anything once he got the S rank lance. That’s how powerful his skillset is, imo.

I don’t really doubt that characters believe so deeply in their religion, honestly. It’s more that sometimes, their actions seem very much inverse to their wants (Marius is probably the biggest example of this, so it is most difficult to buy his decisions). Your point on Calista is fair enough though. I’ll say that it was a little unclear how conscious Calista was while fleeing; she responds to Victor and Arachne, leaving when they say they’re going to see Nathan. And she’s at least aware enough to fight during the chapter, so she seems at least a little knowledgeable of what she’s doing. She also has the talk with Nathan in the chapter where she rejoins, and she’s aware enough to recognize who he is, so it kind of feels like mixed messages? Reconsidering though, it makes sense that once she’s fully lucid, she’d re-evaluate some of what’s been happening, so I can see what you mean.

The issue with Cosette isn’t that she talks with Orville at all, I agree with most of what you wrote there. It’s that when she talks to him, a lot of the conversations end up feeling very similar, kind of like deja vu. I don’t mind that the conversations exist, but there are just a lot of them, and they don’t feel very distinct until way later in the game, probably after Marius is dead.

Also yeah I’m not saying the Patriarch being evil is supposed to be a secret. It’s just that a common trend in JRPGs is that the leader of the church is evil, so I thought there may be a bit more to it and was ultimately surprised that it was played straight. It’s not really a bad thing, either, just an observation.

It is less that the church’s ideas are pure evil and more that the characters representing it kind of are. I struggle to think of a perspective where the Patriarch is anything less than a complete monster, considering all the frankly twisted stuff he does. Midge, Melony, the Olga copies, the Erdus family’s fate, etc. If his goal was simply to turn the continent into a battlefield for his plan, many of the things he did are totally unnecessary for that goal, but he did them anyway for reasons that weren’t very clear to me beyond him being evil. So while I agree that there is some philosophical nuance behind the opposing ideas, it is difficult to consider it when one side has extremely morally bankrupt representatives. And I’d agree with you more on the point that the heroes are sacrificing the prosperity of their land for this, but the game ends on this note. There really isn’t any question by the end that their decision pretty much turned out fine. If the ending was more uncertain and the Patriarch and Matriarch less blatantly evil, then I’d agree with you, but it seems pretty clear that it all turns out fine here, in my opinion.
Screenshot 2021-04-02 201204

As for Augustus, sure, I understand the stuff about needing to change more than the Blessing. The problem is that he, as an antagonist, wasn’t very compelling to me. He has very little build up overall, less than other, earlier antagonists like the king of Erdus or Eponine, so his ultimate act just doesn’t have that much impact behind it. It makes sense, but it comes from a character that I didn’t really have much of an opinion on before this chapter, so it’s difficult to appreciate it.

As for the discussion on what it means to be human, I don’t really think it needed to be detailed out to the extent that it is, especially considering when and where it happens. It feels like the gang is taking a break to discuss philosophy after watching the Emperor kill himself. It’s just a bit jarring to have these two scenes take place back to back; maybe if it was after a couple others, I would have liked it more. Kind of hard to say though.

1 Like

Did you edit the game to get that gaiden? The replacement versions of Arachne, Helen, and Victor don’t count toward unlocking extras. And the replacement Victor isn’t programmed to be able to do the talk that unlocks that gaiden.

Spoilers

The Cataclysm spell has the Delphi Shield affect attached to it.

This is kind of the point. Marius (and Calista for much of the game) believe that the things that he wants are an affront to the gods, and so, he does not act on his wants, choosing instead to follow what he believes to be a higher power. While not necessarily driving someone onto the battlefield, it’s a very real thing for people to have internal struggles over devotion or a sense of duty and bury their desires because of it. This is why, as he’s dying, Marius tells Cosette that he doesn’t have the courage to speak his mind to a god like she does.

Perhaps this is the sort of thing that’s difficult to get across without voice acting or some sort of narration, but Calista’s speech is much less proper during this part of the game. She also has a single minded fixation on seeing Nathan, and Victor and Arachne question whether she understands what she’s doing. She’s also suffering from severe headache’s to the point that she loses control and burns down a house. I thought I was being pretty clear that she’s not in her right mind.

As the Patriarch and Matriarch say themselves, a large part of why Glenn and Eponine were sweet talked into becoming tyrants was so that Cosette and friends would be seen as saviors by the populace before being used to construct a new blessing (so that a new church could be built around them). And they do many things that are intended to push the group to their limits to ensure that they grow stronger and close enough to one another to be used as the Blessing’s components. It isn’t so much that the Patriarch and Matriarch are evil in the sense that they feel giddy over doing nasty things. It’s that they’re completely indifferent to whatever sort of human tole comes along with creating a new Blessing because they believe that having a new Blessing is the best thing for Celesia. Neither the Patriarch nor the Matriarch, herself are even bothered when the Matriarch dies trying to subdue the party.

It isn’t so much that they sacrifice the prosperity of Celesia. But Celesia is now susceptible to such things as natural disasters and droughts because such things are no longer controlled through the Blessing. And the ending note, is meant to say that the people of Celesia were finally given reason to advance their society in order to not be as susceptible to what could come due to lacking the Blessing.

Or perhaps the Patriarch’s final words about people falling in line behind someone who could promise them an easy way of life could come true in the future. :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Nope, only thing I edited was Orville’s throughout the entire game. I think what may be happening is that the “real” versions of Arachne and Victor are being loaded in during Chapter 21 (hence why I have the Level 1 versions instead of the Level 10 versions), and only Arachne’s replacement version also is there.

Stuff

midge
I checked with Aura and Annunciation as well, pretty sure she just doesn’t have one or Silver Bows specifically aren’t effective against her. I can give my save if you want to check it.

Rest of the story stuff makes sense, that last bit sounds like material for a sequel lol

2 Likes

This happens so much in reality, I’m not sure how you think it’s not realistic. It’s easier to go back to something that’s familiar, even if it’s not good for you, simple because it’s familiar. Plus add in the fact that Calista is extremely religious in an extremely religious society, she has no self confidence or worth, she believes she deserves punishment, and she hates herself. It’s more than realistic for Calista to talk a big game about not being the Maiden and then considering going back. Internal conflicts aren’t solved by just having a eureka moment and then never doing that bad thing again. Real self improvement is a constant battle to not fall back into bad habits and mentalities. This is especially true when you consider the religious aspect of the circumstances.

3 Likes

I think I had the wrong type of load unit command when these were supposed to be swapped around. But I’ll test it more thoroughly later as it’s getting late as I’m writing this. But thanks for getting back to me.

Spoilers

This text will be hidden

It just needs to be in her inventory to protect her. :wink:

Olga’s ultimate weapon does the same thing, but you said she died early on your playthrough.

2 Likes

alight, I’ve only got one major qualm with chapter 31. horus is too fast for that much range and attack power. just about anyone with lower than 20 res gets killed outright.
I get wanting to make him a threat but there is such a thing as too far. and letting a 47attacker with 40 speed have 15 range is too much.

1 Like

One thing that trivializes the chapter 31 Boss is that you can get two characters who use Summon by this point, both their summons have provoke, one is Walter upon promotion, the other is…

spoilers

Genevieve who promotes during a Gaiden chapter, i forget the exact number, it’s the desert chapter that’s only got wolves, gargoyles and gorgons besides the boss, she gives a hint about some bones in the lower left of the map being suspicious, if you wait with her near them you unlock a text only gaiden chapter where she promotes and unlocks summoning as well as warp.

Beyond this you can always bring and sacrifice Harold, which i did anyways and had to do due to a miscalculation :stuck_out_tongue:

Any of these three units pretty much shut him down from being a treat and your lords can resist his attacks, Beyond that i’m sure you’ll find something that trivializes him even more, wink wink, nudge nudge

Big Spoilers

1 Like

Of course she promote from a gaiden on the one chapter i figued bringing her to was pointless. and i was more complaining that his high speed means that you need to bring one of those units, which i didn’t, which isn’t exactly good design since it requires you to know who gets what skills from promoting far in advance.

Its not something someone will know going in blind.
I’m also still baffled by some of the weapons on the bosses. Why give the final boss a sword and tome if his ai will only use the bow due to the 1-8 range and speed boost. Its almost like the AI was expected to be smarter then it is.

The difficulty of this hack spikes randomly and some chapters are a downright nightmare if you don’t know how to tackle them well in advance. I enjoyed it pretty thoroughly but somethings about some of the gaidens NEED tp be told to the player before deployment or else you will miss important things. I didn’t even know genvive DID promote because why would you bring a rescuebot on a desert map when you’ve got mostly mages and three flyers?

I’m not trying to come off as an ass but there are just some serious issues that need to be adressed with the balance with the endgame bosses. At most you have 1 unit who can out range him but even with maxed skill and luck plus supports she had a 33% chance to hit the final boss due to his 35 speed 30 luck and throne bonus and to top that with a 1-8 range bow that has 70attack power is WAY to much and would demand the player to know you would need the decoys with no way of knowing that.

When you design a game you take player choice into account otherwise you can end up with something unplayable since if you miss a single gaiden in thia hack you kind of get screwed over. I’m not saying they even need nerfed but maybe just cut the speed bonus so they aren’t so damned evasve.

1 Like

I don’t remember exactly if it was a Talk action that gave the hint, but while choosing who to deploy you can see who can talk to other characters during that map, if it is an option then there’s probably a good reason, also i don’t think it’s too easy to miss any gaiden? believe i got all of them, maybe it was luck but there where good hints here and there all throughout the game for getting them.

1 Like

I remember doing that, there isn’t. It has to be she’s deployed on that map.
Like if the twins are deployed on 27? To get their upgraded personal weapons. Or deploying Victor to talk with jake.

Other than some slight issues with the stats and weapons on a few bosses that is my only major complaint, that there is so much this hack requires you to know well in advance of actually telling you you’re going to need it.

1 Like

Hey, I just wanted to update those who are following my game with some of the things I’m working on. Firstly, in order to address the comments that magic is overpowered, I’m in the process of implementing a spell charge system so that magic units won’t be able to spam their best spells all the time and may have to fall back on some of their weaker spells to conserve charges in longer fights. This will work similarly to the way Three Houses handles magic with charges being refreshed between battles. Hammerne will also not work on magic. My hope is that this will make the non-magic units more appealing without making Deity Device lose its identity. I’m also hoping that this will contribute to deterring players from mindlessly trying to solo the early game with Arachne because she simply won’t have the charges to do everything on her own.

And in response to criticisms of the small number of playable characters and the lack of a playable bow unit until the mid-game, allow me to introduce Victor’s younger brother, Vincent:

Vincent will be playable starting in Chapter 5 along with Bertram and Glenn. I’m also putting together a new Gaiden that stars him and Lucy.

I’m still working to change chapters that were widely criticized as not being fun, along with other balance changes. Please understand that the amount of work involved with making these adjustments takes time (especially because I have to coordinate global changes across two ROMS). And to make Vincent work, I have to write him into the story and write his supports. So I can’t make any promises as far as a release window for the updated version, but I am working on it.

A few more things to look forward to in the update are staves will be much less cumbersome as I got the patch that knabepicer linked me to working. This allowed me to reimplement Luke’s Torch spell (I had replaced it with the infinite Torch long before release because of how limiting it would have been to have Torch locked in Luke’s inventory). This will make it easier to check the range of the boss in Chapter 8, among other things. Also, several classes have had their movement buffed by one. The general rule is that all unmounted classes have six move (with no movement gained from promotion), and non mage mounted units (including fliers) now have eight at base and nine post promotion. Mounted mages have not had their movement changed. Orville no longer stands out with his Genealogy movement, but such is life.

I also wanted to make a statement in regards to those saying that certain things are easily missable. I know it’s the trend of the newer Fire Emblem games to give all of the best stuff for free, like how the Fates princes come with strong weapons with no drawbacks and the Yato/Sword of the Creator evolve automatically through main story events. I don’t necessarily like that sort of design. I prefer how FE1, 3, and 6 make the player work for that sort of thing, so I made a game that has a lot of secrets. There is generally a hint when a secret requires some sort of player input, and the ones that don’t have a hint are all but automatic. For example, Luke’s gaiden only requires him to be alive and promoted before the end of Chapter 21. There isn’t anything as random as recruiting Stefan (in either game) or getting Arden’s Pursuit Ring.

But anyone who missed things shouldn’t feel like he or she can’t beat the game. I won’t deny that getting everything and being on track to get the perfect ending will make things easier, but the things that you get automatically are capable of beating the final bosses, even if things won’t go as smoothly as they possibly can. Details below:

Spoilers

Nathan should be able to block all damage from Horus with Dustwake (or at least a lot of it if he’s been neglected), and Calista can attack from outside of Augustus’s range with Big Bang.

If I may draw on my own experiences, when both my brother and I first reached the Fire Dragon in FE7, we didn’t have any better way to beat it than having Athos use Aureola while spamming Elixirs, and both of us had to sacrifice a healer in the end (because of being bad at the game and not grasping the rescue mechanic). While the Fire Dragon now feels like a very easy final boss, the first time through, it was very scary because of its 1-3 range and unblockable damage. And my army was generally very weak because of the way I had played the game.

As far as certain things snowballing into missing several things, that isn’t exactly unique to Deity Device. For example, Priscilla’s death/having her village raided in FE7 will make both Raven and Lucius unrecruitable (and Erk too if Serra is also dead). In the worst case scenario, Canas will be the only option for a spellcaster until Pent (and Canas is in a gaiden). This will also most likely force the player to go to Jerme’s version of Pale Flower. So it can certainly be bad if Luke dies because of how many unlocks he is connected to, but such is Fire Emblem.

9 Likes