FE7 Skill System [WIP]

Hi guys, new update.

The following skills have now been added to the repo:

Counter - Reflect the foe’s attacks back at them (need to set range and weapon type limitations)
Colossus - Skill % chance of tripling strength in combat
Critical Force - Base crit rate is 1.5x skill
Decadence - The unit always deals 10 damage per normal attack
Armored Blow - +6 defense to the attacking unit

3 Likes

New update, new skills!

Despoil - A luck% chance of obtaining a red gem on killing an enemy
Black Magic - Randomly inflict 1 of 4 statues on an enemy at the end of the battle
Heavy Strikes - Add the user’s equipped item’s weight to their critical hit chance
Corrosion - Reduce the enemy’s equipped weapon uses by 5 at the end of the battle

I’ve also decided to post a link to my Discord for this project. You can get more frequent updates on my work there.

4 Likes

Hi all, it’s been a while.

I’ve had some time to think about this and creating my own skill system from the ground up (while extremely educational) wasn’t practical in the long run. So with that in mind, I’ve decided to scrap what I’ve done so far and commit to a full on port of the FE8 skill system. The good news is that I have over 100 skills successfully ported, and I don’t foresee any real issues with porting the rest.

You can check my progress here if you want to see what skills are done.

I won’t be posting another progress update until I’ve started tackling the graphics display. Once I have that down, the port will be mostly finished.

8 Likes

I’m liking this a lot! As someone who played FE7 as their first fire emblem game, this is gonna be interesting. I’m surprised that the skill implementation wasn’t in febuilder as an option but only for FE8 via patch. I know lots of asm is necessary for the trilogy as a whole but this is qol to add.

1 Like

Hi guys, been a while. I’ve been quitely working away in the background to port the Modular Stat Screen (the thing that makes the skills viewable in the unit menu) and I’m about 70% done, but I’ve sort of reached a brick wall. If there’s anyone knowledgable in build files, I could use a hand.

I’m pretty sure I have the right offsets, but I keep experiencing a crash at offset 0x202A5CC when trying to access a unit’s menu. And for the life of me, I can’t isolate what exactly is causing it. It started when I subtituted offset 0x8205B24 for 0x8404B60 in ModularStatScreen.event, but breakpointing isn’t helping me locate the error. I think 0x202A5CC is part of the text buffer based on what I see in no$gba.

If anyone has the time and knowledge, I can DM you my skill system work so far and see if we can crack this :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

statscreen in FE7 has already been decomped

1 Like

That’s good, but I have no idea how to make that work within the context of the skill system as it is.

My main goal is to port the existing framework and be done with it. Up until now, that’s mostly been a case of offset matching between FE7 and FE8.

1 Like

I think I’m gonna take a break for the time being. It’s getting pretty frustrating, and I’m not making any significant progress. So I’ll just post what I have for now.

This port can be used in a FE7 project as is, you just won’t be able to keep track of who has what skills in-game without the modular stat screen and icon rework. So until I figure those out, this is what we’ve got.

So far there’s over 100 working skills, you can track of which ones work here: FE7 Retold - Skills Definitions - Google Sheets