[FE 8](Full-Length) [COMPLETE?] Eligor's Spear version 3.0 (46 +1 Chapters)

Hey there. Can I apply the newest version patch to the older Eligors Spear ROM and everything will work and I can continue where I left off in the game? Or will I have to start over and/or repatch a clean fe8 rom?

Hi! You need to patch to a clean rom, but as long as that new rom and your save file names match, you shouldn’t lose any progress so you can continue from where you left off.

Hello,

I found a potential game-breaking bug, hopefully its fixable because I would hate to reset my run :frowning:

I completed the chapter where you recruit the female druid, in hard mode. For some reason, after i completed the chapter and saved my game in the world map, the next available map (which should have been the map where you recruit the Axe Fighter) starts with an incorrect FE8 script, which takes me to an old map, where you recruit Ivan. How can I solve this?

The only thing I remember doing is that I skipped scenes using the B button when I beat the last chapter (which made the screen look glitchy), so maybe this was the trigger?

2 Likes

Update: I found out that there IS a way to skip past this error. If I press A on the world map on the location PAST the flagged next chapter, it sends me to the correct chapter. I will post if the world map gets fixed, after beating this map

2 Likes

takes you to an old map in the sense of going there on the overworld? Or actually has you replay the map?

If the former, I think that’s just related to weird pathing on the overworld. I’ve definitely had times where I had to re-select a designation and the avatar would do weird shit on the way like go back and forth a few times before going the right way. My recollection is this actually happened in vanilla fe8 sometimes.

It actually had me replay the map. But I can confirm that after beating the next map, my world map looked normal

1 Like

Spoilers for Final chapter, I guess:

Summary

Was I not supposed to defeat Eligor in this chapter? The Item Guide mentions a Final II and I feel like the ending was missing a lot.

hmmmm curious how to do that. That could actually be useful XD.

Would that give you another Ivan and Hyledd?

Summary

There are three endings IIRC. If you beat eligor in finale I, if you choose to side with Eskelios and beat elior again, and if you choose to side with Eligor and defeat Eskelios.

2 Likes
Summary

Aha I see, thanks. I am a little annoyed that doing the difficult objective in Finale I results in the most boring ending. Guess I’ll have to play that map again tomorrow…

Once the postgame stuff is implemented I’m guessing going that route maybe unlocks something extra. But as-is I think he expectation is it’s hard enough to do that you should really only be able to if you go out of your way. Afterall, the mission says survive, not defeat.

1 Like
Summary

Well I accidentally pulled him so at that point I didn’t really have a choice but to defeat him :joy:

1 Like

@hues_of_neon
If you want hide your spoilers, click the gear icon and choose Hide Details. Then where it says “This text will be hidden” you type what it is that you want to hide/put in spoilers. It’s been almost 2 months now since the initial release, so I’m little more lenient with spoilers.

Summary

Defeating Eligor in Final I is something I wanted to have as an option, but at the time I didn’t think that many people would be able to do so. If it was unintentional, nothing would happen. I might have to buff Eligor there, but I also don’t want to make it so that a single round of combat with him will kill your unit no matter what - after all, you might end up in his attack range by accident.

@Minimo
Sounds like an emulator issue, but good to see the issue is (kind of) fixed.

@Firlz
You can’t have multiple player units with the same unitID in your party, so if Ivan and Hyledd were recruited, you wouldn’t get second “copies” of them. However, if they for whatever reason died, then you’d probably be able to recruit them again.

1 Like

How would that interact with them? Aren’t they green during setup? Does that mean they stay green and never turn blue because you can’t have a second copy? Will it place your “current” version of the unit in those squares? (so if they’ve levelled up the copy up there will be the higher level one?

Obviously this should probably be fixed, but it’s an interesting enough case that I’m curious what potential applications it might have.

Assuming you figured out how to intentionally cause this to happen, I feel like this could be a really interesting mechanic for a time-travel themed hack or campaign.

If they’re in your party, I’m fairly certain they’ll just end up in the same position where they’re the first time around. The event will most likely use your existing Ivan and Hyledd. I’d also imagine they can still be recruited - I don’t see why they couldn’t turn blue. If they’re dead, the “new” ones will be loaded instead - or rather, the event will play out as if you still haven’t recruited them. That’s what I think.

Perhaps, but I’ve not been able to reproduce the error. For all I know it could definitely be an emulator issue.

1 Like

Nightmare’s Grasp on NORMAL is so fucked up. I would love to start seeing some YouTube playthroughs on Normal/Hard difficulties of how these are supposed to be done because short of having a perfect turn every time I just don’t see it.

biserka

Biserka with a Bright Lance is extremely fun on this map but around 10-11 I’m overwhelmed with the Swordmaster/Dancer long dead and only 1-2 village evacuated.

3 Likes

If it’s just a run that needs to not lose any units, but you aren’t looking for perfectly saving the villagers it’s pretty doable. Likely going to still reset a few times to work around things you forgot/didn’t know to account for, but definitely doable.

Edit: I can’t speak for the easier difficulties, I’ve only played on hard. But the (very basic) strat is

Summary

that you need skylar and avanni promoted, preferably several others. If you start cam and sniper-avanni in the upper right you can sequence to killer axe the archer skeleton to the up-right, which spaces cam to talk to swordmaster next turn.

Avanni full moving over as sniper can longbow-kill the gargoyle, generally speaking. You can run skylar over to the right (one square to the left of the cyclops on the mid-east side), and that will let him retal the cyclops (possibly silencering to kill) and also kill the doggy that comes from south east. There are different combinations, but basically you want to send your bright-lancer and a couple other non-mages west to deal with promoted doggy and the bow user next to the middle-zone ballista. Finally you can spawn a phantom and send it on the wall on the right side (I forget the exact spacing) if you do it right, it eats the sleep stave from the south eyeball, and if the gorgon moves then it will be in position to also pull the gorgon’s 3-range attack on the following turn.

You have some options with the leftover units in the middle, I think on my “acquire all objectives” run I went with a high speed high evade mage in the center to just barely pull the centaur from the south to eat him on enemy phase instead of my turn, sent two others to eat the doggy in front of the close house to the right,and left the space open to draw the southern cyclops up.

On turn two you are in position to talk to the swordmaster with cam, then send avanni (sniper mode, I haven’t tried the map with her on a horse) into the ballista to snipe at the silencer-eyeball boss on the west. If you crit you save an actin, if you don’t, dance and shoot again to kill.

You should be able to have swordmaster dude park on or near the northern house to protect it and draw some fire.

The rest kind of depends on exactly who got hit with what, but typically this puts you in a pretty good situation starting on turn 3.

In general I don’t think biserka is great on this map? Her low move is really problematic, and her weaker res is also pretty scary with the sleep stave, the gorgon, and the eyeballs floating around.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Also worth knowing this is possibly the hardest map in the hack. Definitely within the top 2-3.

3 Likes

I just got past the chapter after Nightmare’s Grasp and I think I’m going to have to put it down for a bit. But for the sake of feedback:

I was enjoying the storyline and the characters, and I find the smaller cast in the first part of the game allows the characters to shine a little more than a lot of other hacks/standard Fire Emblem. I will say that no characters really shone through like I find in some other hacks where there’s clearly a “breakout star” if you will.

Mugs/sprites are all nice.

I feel like gameplay was your focus and there’s a lot of good here, namely I love the weapon variety which means you have to really pay attention to what every enemy has rather than just blindly assuming based off of their class. I also like that all the units I felt had a little niche role, and on promotion you can double up some classes, but it’s not like you can run through with a horde of paladins/flying units and win. I was a little more selective of what I was promoting my units into.

Now for the reason why I’m taking a break: I’ll echo what a lot of others have written here and say that the hack feels punishingly difficult and unfair at times. I know you’ve designed it to be difficult, but even in Normal mode there are several maps, prominently the snow map with the ballista and ESPECIALLY Nightmare’s Grasp, that just felt frustrating.

For the former: By like turn 5 I don’t think my units had managed to get very far at all on the right path, and while I sent some north, the combination of ballista and random spawning wyvern rider in the middle of an unattackable mountain essentially left turtling within the entrance while you kill them off and let the ballista waste their shots as the only strategy I found viable. It also meant you had to play essentially perfectly so one of your units didn’t get sniped by the wyvern. It just makes the front section of the chapter feel very very bogged down and, in my opinion, unsatisfying gameplay. I don’t need every chapter to be rush in, but when the most viable strategy seems to be wait for the ballista to use all of his shots by hiding in the forest for 5 turns so you don’t get sniped, it’s not particularly exciting.

I did, however, like the three bosses and found they were placed in a way that aggro’ing them was well done, I like that the bow cavalier will go in at some point near the north even if you’re not in range whereas the other two seemingly only charge once you’ve hit their range. You had to be cautious to not aggro one of them and the wyverns to the south, or made sure you balanced it etc.

As for Nightmare’s Grasp, man, it just felt like you had to get a perfect turn every single turn in order to have any chance of success. I felt like you need to rely on crits from the killer ballista in order to properly do this chapter which I don’t like because it means if you lose a 50/50 coin flip the whole turn quickly falls apart and it’s reliant on the fact that you made one of your archers a sniper/archer, which there is the potential that someone made Avanni a ranger and never recruited Marlow. I also feel like with the amount of objectives and enemy units you effectively need all 12 characters to be doing something each turn - a concept I really like, you can’t just park a bunch and wait. Which is why I really hate the fact that there’s enemies with sleep and silent staves with incredibly good range. They’re able to potentially render two of your units effectively useless for 1-2 turns minimum if they both hit and assuming you can heal at least one by bringing the priest with the Restore staff. Considering there’s 5 houses, and Cyclops charging essentially all of them from the get go which means you must split your units up in order to effectively stop them and 2 eyes that need to be eliminated quickly so they don’t waste a viable units turn it becomes really heavily luck based in that if you mess up one action you’re likely going to have to reset. I think even just removing the sleep and silent staff from the eyes would help reduce the difficulty ceiling by a decent amount.

Perhaps you have a different design philosophy than me, but I’m of the opinion that in Normal mode, with some good strategy and a bit of trial and error, you should be able to achieve all the objectives within a chapter. I managed after who knows how many attempts to save all the villages, but didn’t manage to get all the villagers to the stairs as I wasn’t able to get to the house on the far left until one of the last turns. I would love to know if it’s possible or see an attempt, perhaps my team was just configured wrong but it felt impossible to me.

Sorry for the essay, apparently I had a lot of thoughts!

I know there’s a couple of paragraphs of criticism, but I genuinely did enjoy the hack and thought a lot of gameplay elements were really clever. I just think the difficulty in normal mode needs some adjustment; I don’t mind resetting a couple of times to get a sense of what the map is going to look like, but it feels like very specific solutions are needed to each map that requires certain characters and weapons which the player may not have. I do plan on picking it back up and finishing it sometime!

4 Likes

IDK about on other difficulties, but it is possible on Hard at least.

Insanely difficult, and you are going to reset a LOT (on my no-savestate attempt I think I was at 1-2 hundred resets before it worked out and I didn’t goof anything up), but possible.

The limiting factor on hard for the villages is actually more the bottom-right than the far left.

3 Likes