[Devlog] Mystery Babylon

Sharing a naked map of an upcoming town. I’ve redone this map like 3 times, this is the final time.

I don’t plan for combat to happen here, mainly a traditional RPG map.

On the narrative department we’re in full worldbuilding mode.

Kingdoms of Elswynn

Aedland

Ethnicity: Caucasian

Government: Monarchy - King Franklin Hirem

Inspiration: England

Aedland is a populous and prosperous country. It is home to the coveted Holy City, where the royal capital and Vatican both reside. The Crownsguard protects the King from all potential threats and defends the royal palace.

The Kingdom Army is a mighty force that protects the country. There are many military forts throughout the country. Currently, there are tensions on the Taljrees border.

History

Aedland has always been a military power to be reckoned with. In the “War of Scions”, the Kingdom Army did battle against both Lethe and Ashford armies. In this war between Kings, it was a battle for supremacy. In the end, Aedland emerged victorious.

In the advent of their victory, the King of Aedland was presented with a problem: the lands of Lethe and Ashford were too vast to be ruled over. His solution was to allow the guise of freedom in both lands, while seizing control of the leadership of both nations.

In attempts to lessen the chances of rebellions, he decided not to claim their lands, but simply control their leaders. In secrecy, he summoned the royal families of Lethe and Ashford to the royal capital. Wherein, he gave them all a choice: bend the knee or face destruction.

In the end, all the families agreed to be vassals of Aedland. Many factions merely feigned obedience while preparing to bare their fangs. The shrewd King of Aedland understood that those with powers would never deign to relinquish it. Knowing this, he established watchdogs in the noble families of both nations, promising them an elevated status in exchange for their cooperation.

All royal families that plotted retribution against Aedland were identified by these spies and were executed, root and stem.

After subverting his enemies, The King of Aedland created the “Club of 300”, a secret collective of key royals, high ranking men of cloth (bishops, archbishops, etc.), and rich men of industry. The members of this group would meet once a year in Aedland and maintain contact by highly discreet messenger birds written in coded language.

Lethe

Government: Monarchy - King (Unnamed)

Inspiration: Germany

The Lethe Empire is a prosperous nation, renowned for their advances in engineering and sorcery. The magic practitioners of this country are feared throughout Elswynn. In particular, the mages of the Order of Magnate are revered as the best. They serve as a military wing of Lethe’s royal army.

It is home to many accomplished schools for magic studies, namely Rigons University. Lethe’s main exports are the innovative technologies that they create.

History

Stemming from a druidic culture, the people of Lethe have long been studious. Their healers were sought from all nations. Legends even say that an all-healing panacea was created in the capital by druids of old, now lost to the flow of time.

Their thirst for knowledge overshadowed their militaristic prowess. When the might of Aedland and Ashford were at their borders, the nation of scholars became a formidable force of sorcerers. Applying their knowledge to combat had never dawned on them, until danger approached.

This marked the formation of the monarchy and foundation of the Order of Magnate. Relying on both mercenary guilds and their own mages, Lethe built a very formidable army.

However, it was not enough to prevent their loss to Aedland. With larger coffers coming from Aedland, they were able to bribe Lethe’s mercenaries into vacating their contractors – essentially leaving them for dead.

Lethe has always had conflict with Vinheim to the north. Land disputes between the leaders of the two nations have left their relations sour and hostile. Raiders from the north would often march south, pillaging towns and villages for food and valuables. Coastal invaders would wreak havoc on Lethe’s seaside cities.

To this day, Lethe’s northern border is still heavily patrolled and skirmishes have become commonplace.

Ashford

Government: Monarchy - Queen (Unnamed)

Inspiration: France

The Ashford Kingdom is home to Elswynn’s most formidable warriors. The mountainous terrain and harsh climate has crafted the finest soldiers on the continent. Due to a lack of fertile lands, Ashford has always taken an aggressive stance and waged war over resources. This has resulted in a heavily militaristic culture. Ashford is where the guild system was born; the Ironhaven Guild Hall serves as the headquarters for all guild activity.

The people of Ashford are proud, genuine and freedom-loving – dishonesty and subterfuge are frowned upon. In the mountainous reaches of Ashford reside renowned military families and clusters of warrior monk settlements.

History

The Ashford Kingdom was once made up of a collective of warring clans:

The Asher Clan were skilled horsemen and swordsmiths. Mining the mountains’ resources provided the blacksmiths of Asher superior steel and iron to craft weapons from. Living in a mountainous and harsh environment, they honed themselves for war. Having no arable lands, they waged war against Fulk and Dowd for resources; using their mountainous terrain to their advantage.

The Fulk were skilled archers. Their children were taught from young ages how to fire a bow and hunt. By age 15, they are gifted bows that are family heirlooms. They erected large towers in their land to defend from invasion. To the north, they often hailed arrows upon Vinheim raid ships that would pass off their coasts.

The Dowd favored the lance and axe. Their large land was often targeted by the Asher Clan, and decided to focus on weapons that were easier to learn. The leaders of Dowd held tourneys with the lance and axe, often resulting in the victors being recruited by guilds. The guild system was born in Dowd and expanded across the continent. Not having any formal government, their people turned to a quest and bartering system to trade food for protection.

These three clans often fought, yet the guild system infected them all rather quickly. The external threat of Aedland and Lethe brought about the establishment of the monarchy. Leadership from all three clans came together and joined the three clans into a single house: the Aldis Family.

Vinheim

Government: Monarchy - King (Unnamed)

Inspiration: Denmark

Vinheim is home to both skilled traders and vicious pirates and vikings. The glacial climate lends to a high dependence on exports and pillaging. Many skilled seafarers hail from Vinheim; with sea trade routes established with Chuunlun, Xie, and Orman.

The coastal capital of Hellisdalr is the seat of the King and an international trade hub. Has trade relations with Chuunlun, Xie, and Orman.

Taljrees

Ethnicity: African & Arab

Government: Monarchy - Godking (Unnamed)

Inspiration: Songhai

A harsh desert region that has strengthened the fortitude of its people. Populated by an array of deadly wildlife that thrives in the sands.

The Taljreeli are split into many tribes each with its own rich culture. Many of the tribes choose to follow a divine harmony with nature - perhaps honouring a particular aspect as a beacon of strength (the Lion, the elephant, the gorilla, or even the sands themselves).

Taljreeli spear throwers are spoken of with particular fear and reverence by any foreign soldier to have witnessed their prowess. Able to throw with deadly strength and precision like a man might fire a crossbow.

Has hostile relations with Aedland, war is unable to be waged thanks to the mountainous region that separates them. They are on decent terms with Martel.

Martel

Ethnicity: Hispanic

Government: Monarchy - Queen (Unnamed)

Inspiration: Brazil

Martel is a vibrant land of culture and excess. The grand illusion of wealth and prosperity is of vital importance to the ruling class - this is portrayed in their flamboyant clothing, copious amounts of jewelry, and habit of over-the-top grand gestures. Their annual ‘Festival of Life’ is an extravaganza to behold, with visitors coming from across the four corners of Elswynn to experience the culture, food, drink, and music.

Bards of Martel are in high demand, with many in the nobility taking and training them as their patrons. Among the nobles there is a ‘pissing contest’ of sorts over who has the best musician, or any other piece of art.

In character with their boastful and prideful nature is their love of horses. Martel breeds some of the finest mares, and trains its riders to be worthy of their beasts. Every man, woman, and child in Martel can ride better than a knight of Aedland, so it is said.

Martel is responsible for providing food to Ashford, indirectly ruled by the coin that they pour into the country.

Xie

Ethnicity: Asiatic

Government: Monarchy - Empress (Unnamed)

Inspiration: China

Their traditions are very different from those of the east. Led by an Empress of a divine lineage that can be traced back centuries. The economy strongly relies on farming and trade. Has a strong military arm that holds back the ‘barbarians’ north of the continent.

The people of Xie follow the balance. A system of moral perfection that can cause cosmic harmony. This moral character is achieved through the virtue of Ren, or “humanity,” which leads to more virtuous behaviors, such as respect, altruism, and humility. It is also the belief in ancestors and family, their spirits as guides to prosperity.

Xie disregards many patriarchal norms of other places in Elswynn, with men and women equally sharing responsibility and expectations in labour and the military.

The continent is renowned for their Samurai, elite warriors that wield the Katana as an extension of themselves. As strong as their blade is their sense of honour, and their bonds or oaths to others.

Chuunlun

Ethnicity: Asiatic

Government: Monarchy - Khan (Unnamed)

Inspiration: Mongolia

Chuunlun is defined by conflict, various warband factions constantly vie for territory and resources. As such, its people grew to be tough and seasoned warriors - with most men conscripted to military service.

Combat waged in Chuunlun is often brutal and fast, supplanting these are the fearsome Chun horse archers that excel at hit and run tactics.

A great chieftain emerged to unite the clans in their hatred of Xie, bringing them under iron fist to expand the borders of Chuunlun.

More later.

2 Likes

Weekly Update #2

Mainly a lot of work on cutscenes. After the Main Hall battle (the battle from last week), we’ve basically finished the remaining cutscenes for the Fort_Interior level.

Next up, there’s one last cutscene on the Fort Outdoor map, where a squadron of the main army returns to the Fort only to find corpses at the front gate.

The goal of the battle will be to:

• Escape with 10-15 turns. Every unit needs to escape, not just the main player.
  • Don’t let anyone die, especially not Reina and the Important Prisoner – both of which are unarmed. (I was thinking I might allow the priest to be an AI healer for the player, though)/

This battle will be where the mounted units make their appearance.

Coding wise, we’ll have to write code for the Ally priest to heal damaged units. As well as code to make Reina (the lady prisoner) stay out of harms way, yet follow behind the PlayerUnits. Finally, we’ll have to write code to support mounted units taking up multiple (2) spaces.

Art wise, we’re on the final battle animation for Zenovia.

(more reference gifs above)

After that, it’s mounted battle sprites.

This battle may take a two-three weeks to be called done, but as we wait for those features and test out the battle – I’ll get a head start on the Bethany (town map) level.

I made a video that shows our articy: draft 3 workflow – how our dialogue gets written and integrated into Unity.

2 Likes

Small question - what’s up with the performance and the camera? So far the recordings have been at 30 fps which looks rather unimpressive given that this is a 2D game and the camera/cursor has some weird behaviour in that it’s always at the centre of the camera.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still following this project and am intrigued by its development, but there’s definitely some room for finesse and perhaps a little more visual appeal. (possibly why the KS wasn’t a success?)

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback.

Performance isn’t really an issue. I think it’s more of my Bandicam settings.

But, in the next build in a few weeks, you’ll be able to see it’s much faster when it runs in a build, as opposed to within Unity’s editor.

About the cursor, I can mess around with it to allow more motion before the camera follows. I’ll experiment with it this week.

As to why the Kickstarter failed, I don’t believe it had anything to do with the quality of the game itself. The issue for us was our social media following was dismal.

We had about 80 twitter followers, 35 people (including about 9-10 team members) in our Discord. No one knew about our game, aside from if you happened upon it on Kickstarter. The support from here was okay, but I know this is a romhacking forum, so people would rather play the free romhacks.

The people who did back us really like the game. Our issue was that we didn’t do any community building – going to conventions like PAX, participating in Steam Next, etc.

1 Like

Back with a mini-update.

This week has been mostly about programming. Our movement scripts have been entirely redone, which meant testing every existing part of the game and rewriting a ton of code.

Good news is, it’s a lot cleaner and easier to build off of.

Can’t really make an update this week since it’s non-visible improvement, but alas.

I got asked by a teammate about quicktime events. I originally wanted them, but I figure that we should keep away from adding too many big features, especially for combat which is always in use.

I don’t have another system rewrite in me atm, it’s stressful lol. Plus, most tactical RPGs don’t use QTEs.

But, we do have a planned feature where QTEs might be in use. We’re taking the idea of duels from Suikoden II:

It’s a 3D scene, using 2D pixel art sprites with 8 directions. Notice how the sprites seem to rotate along with the camera.

We are totally intent on adding our own version of this feature that’ll features QTEs. Here’s a mockup we came up with:

The Arthur vs Harold combat would be reverted into a duel. The scene is based on this map and uses the same textures:

It’s still very early – we’re getting 8 directional animations done and a playable demo will likely take a month or so for sprites and code to be complete.

As for the level, I’m planning on getting simple 3D models done based off the pixel art textures.

I’m planning on exhibiting in PAX East 2022 – it’s a lot to plan and pay for but will likely be awesome for our game.

Getting realtime feedback and the presence of publishers will be awesome, not to mention networking with other devs.

More info on this as we progress, but the plan is to present in Boston – April 21st-24th.

3 Likes

Zenovia’s new sprites are all done.

Bit more progress on demo scene for duels. Mostly on hold until the 8-direction animations are done. Recommend going full screen to get that PSX effect

Finally doing mounted units.

Which means another big code rewrite going on this week.

I mentioned it forever ago on this devlog, but mounted units will have to take > 1 grid cell… which complicates the system.

So, we’ve got to alter the system that currently allows only one cell per unit – to allow for units that occupy multiple cells.

Once this is done, we can even add FE3H style huge monsters to the game, if we want. There’s plans for a whole demon invasion ark, so it’s likely to happen.

Anyway, pray for us to get the grid system rewrite done cleanly

download

5 Likes

Man! Looks really good!!

1 Like

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Back this week for another mini-update.

Multi Cell Units

We are making great progress on the “Multi Cell Unit” feature. Basically, just like FE3H Demonic Beasts, they take up > 1 cell.

To test, we’ve setup a sandbox map with a new mounted unit (whose sprites are in progress) and a baby dragon sprite I found.

The Grid Cursor changes size to preview what spaces will be taken as you move. You’ll notice, the mounted horse’s occupied cells will change based on the direction it’s facing. Pathfinding has been altered for Multi Cell Units, so that if they cannot fit in a specific space, they can’t move there.

It’s been less painful that I thought it would be. But, there’s still more to test.

I believe this feature will be done at the same time as the new mounted knight battle animations.

Speaking of which:

Mounted Knight Battle Animations

We’ve started working on them – 1/7 animations currently done. There’s a photo showing how it’ll look when they’re all done.

8-Directional Sprites for Dueling

We showed off our 3D battle scene last week – but we need these sprites to be done before we can start coding the feature.

We got started on that – here’s Arthur’s sprites (while he’s dueling Harold in the armor disguise):

Doesn’t he look like Krillin lol

Animation List:

• Idle
  • Attack
  • Critical Attack
  • Jump
  • Dodge
  • Hit Reaction
  • Defeated

Nearly the same as normal battle sprites, just way lower resolution (which makes them easier to make).

I’ll keep you updated on how this is going

Pixel Art World Map

So, we’ve had our world map for quite some time now. We decided not to do the normal RPG feature of walking around on the overworld/world map. It’ll be a purely UI feature, where you can travel to available locations by selecting them.

As far as pixel art pieces go, this is a big one. We’re working in 350x350 chunks and it’ll take 24 pieces to be complete.

This is 1/24:

It will take some time before it’s completed, but the plan is to complete 6 of these per month. So, 3 months from now, we’ll have a pixel art masterpiece world map.

And lastly:

Concept Art

We have defined our character roster and we’re working on concept art for each playable character. To get a peek, feel free to check out our doc.

Narrative work aside, we’re working with the super talented Avyveris. Today, we got some thumbnails for character designs (which is the first step in the character design process):

It’s based on the starting roster in our character planning notes doc.

To answer the question: “Why do we need concept art?”

As you may know, we use 3D models to create our battle sprites. For our current characters, we’ve been getting by on free/paid models – but we can’t keep doing that if we want original character designs.

The steps in the process are:

1. Get a character design sheet for each custom character

2. Provide the finished sheet to a 3D character modeler (Also at this step, we can get started on their overworld sprites)

3. Create a rigged 3D model based on the concept art

4. Apply animations to the model and export the frames

5. Create pixel art animations based on the 3D animated frames

6. ???

7. Profit

It’s an expensive workflow, but it’ll be totally worth it in the end. We’re starting with 5-10 custom characters that we’ll have ready by April for PAX East.

1 Like

Dueling System (60% Done)

Heavily influenced by this duel in Suikoden II:

We’ve gotten a lot done on this feature. Most of the work has been creating the 8 directional sprites and getting them to change direction with the camera angle.

About four more animations:

1. All Out Attack / attack combo
  2. Damage/ Hit Reaction
  3. Dodge
  4. Defeat / Kneeling

We’re using two Arthurs to test the camera rotation. We’re working on:

• UI

• The Combat Loop

• Camera Movement

Given another week or so, this should be fully functional.

Fort Level Completion

After ages, we’re nearly through with this level. Granted, we spent a long time building features like AI, dialogue/cutscene systems here. Future levels should be a breeze since our tools are all made.

This is one of the final cutscenes of the level, preceding a larger scale battle. You’ll have to protect the lady and priest from danger as you try to escape before the rest of the army arrives within 15 turns.

First escape map, but it should be easy to manage. Handling the Ally Unit AI and making them avoid danger and stay close behind the player is the main concern – we’ll have to test it.

World Map (2/24)

ezgif-3-ff3d8bffcfe4

This is chugging along rather well, the guy is super efficient. It’s shaping up to be a really sweet map.

That’s all for now. I’m planning to have the dueling system and the fort level complete by the New Year. From there, I’ll release a new build – it’s coming along way better than it was two months ago when I shot our FEE3 2021 video.

Our concept artist has Covid, so I’m letting that marinate as she should focus on her health.

After the holidays, I’ll be securing our booth at PAX EAST 2022 in Boston. Should be a great time – lots of publishers around and valuable playtesting feedback.

PS: I read our FEE3 comments, and font size seemed to an issue. I made it bigger. It was a good call.

1 Like

Another mini-update, I’ll probably do monthly updates instead of weekly on Youtube.

Doing some in-game testing on the next level, mainly for fun. Finishing the last level is hard work lol.

Also I’m waiting on mounted knight’s battle animations to be completed. Speaking of which:

A test of Sword Mounted Knight’s attack. The smear makes it look like a whip, so we’ll probably alter the smear a bit.

Usually, I try to get the attack animations to hit the player, but since he’s mounted, it’s sort of out of reach without moving the horse… which is animation hell apparently.

So we’ll just fix the smear and call it a day.

That’s it – be back next week!

1 Like

Level Design

In the spirit of tile reuse, I’ve begun working on interiors for the exterior town map I shared already.

NPC Home is below.

There’s holes where the doors will go – didn’t have any good animated interior doors to use yet.

First room of Laila’s tavern:

Making do with what I have atm, but it’s going pretty well. I’m sure we’ll be replacing props etc. as we go – but it’s important for me to pin down the basic layouts so we can start the level.

World Map (3/24)

This continues to go pretty smoothly. Each piece is 350x350. We’re filling that hole next.

Dueling System is almost done, I’ll share more on that soon.

We edited the mounted knight attack:

It might be a bit severe on the smear, but I think it’ll look fine in-game. Still waiting on this animation set to finish to I can put a bow on the fort levels.

Likely come with an update this weekend!

1 Like

Fort Level Setup (90%)

Level setup for CMB is so brutal lol. But, once everything is all set – it’s solid so it’s worth the pain.

I’ve been working on the level design all week and finally got things working in-game this Saturday. Doors, area transitions, collisions – all that good stuff. I’m especially proud of how good the blacksmith/weapon shop turned out.

What you see here is:

• Inn

• NPC Home

• Blacksmith / Weapon Shop

• Laila’s Tavern

Still need to do interior level designs for:

• Guild Hall

• The scandalous brothel bathhouse (I play too much Kingdom Come Deliverance)

Once I do some more color grading and lighting, these levels should look excellent. Also, once NPCs and such are added, it’ll really come to life. Can’t forget music too – I usually test with the footsteps muted.

World Map (4/24)

This is going super well – we should be at 6 or 7 out of 24 by this time next week.

Duel System (60%)

So, things are moving here. I haven’t been personally too involved with this feature yet, but it looks like it needs some extra attention. I’ll be digging into it this week and polishing things up and killing bugs.

But, it still looks rather cool!

As you can see, it’s buggy. But, the core concepts seem to be in place. Once I start working on it, it should be in a way better state by next week. Since I’m the only one who can do new level setup, I’ve been away from the other stuff for a bit.

Mounted Sword Knight (4/7)

• Idle

• Attack

• Death

• Hit Reaction

• Critical Attack

• Dodge

• Block

This is coming along well. The sprites are pretty huge, so they’re taking more time. We’re doing a lancer knight version as well, hopefully it’s mostly edits aside from new attacks and block animations.

2 Likes

Tiny ass update – totally forgot to share these:

Our concept artist is feeling better and dropped some preliminary sketches before taking it into digital painting mode.

These are the first few playable characters aside from the ones we have, so I’ll have to get sprites and 3D models (so we can make battle sprites based off them) done for them once these concept pieces are done.

Mainly just sharing so that when it is done, it’s like a before & after sort of deal.

Since I’m waiting for:

• Mounted knight battle sprites to be done to finish the fort level cutscenes & battles.

• NPC sprites and animated tiles for the town level + some new tiles

I am working on polishing the duel feature.

Pretty much fixed the jumping bug but next up are the attack animation exchanges – one person attacking at a time + damage frames.

After that – I might make some changes to the 3D scene and see if I can replace our programmer art UI lol.

Should be back with a more polished duel feature, possibly the first round of digitally painted concept art and more world map progress by the weekend. Still hunting for a good pixel artist to handle NPC and overworld map sprites – hopefully get the right person soon.

Ay, happy holidays tho.

I hope the lack of grid-based combat isn’t boring ya’ll lmao coming soon

1 Like

Dueling System (90%)

It wasn’t as buggy as I thought – got this done way earlier than I thought.

Added a sprite trail and a cool CRT camera effect for that old school feel.

Now, I’m just waiting for animations

Bethany NPCs (10%)

Found a solid pixel artist to help out on NPC animations for the town. There are a ton of NPCs to do – so it’ll likely be a while until the level is fully prepared. Planning to have them ultra animated, blacksmith apprentice, running kids, bathhouse wenches in water, families cooking in their homes, the works.

It’ll be glorious.

There’s the blacksmith, our first NPC for this level. His reference, we’ll do a portrait for him and his apprentice (who’s coming up next).

World Map (5/24)

Dude even animated the lighthouse, what a GOAT.

Loving how this is coming along, might be a month and a half or so until this is fully complete. Then, I’ll add it in-game, where it should look even better.

Should be getting more mounted knight animations soon. I just need dodge and critical attack, then that’s enough to finish off the fort level.

These are all coming next. Dodge and Critical attack will both have the neighing animation, it should be something to see. Then, there’s the lance holding version of mounted knight and we can kiss this animation knightmare (see what I did there?) goodbye.

That’s about it. Since the duel system is almost completely done, I’ll go back to finishing the fort level as soon as I can. Might be missing a few animations, but I can just use placeholders in the meantime. There’s likely new Ally AI to write.

Bethany Level Design (90%)

• Inn
  • NPC Home
  • Blacksmith / Weapon Shop
  • Laila’s Tavern
  • Guild Hall
  • Bathhouse

This is the Guild Hall level, at least it’s reception. This is a mockup, but it’ll be filled with generic adventurers – forming parties, waiting in line to take quests, chilling in the upstairs hang out area.

The Bethany level is coming along really well, I’ve been growing as a level designer while working on it. I’ve been also applying the color grading techniques to the older fort levels (which you can tell were just intended to be sandbox/prototype maps), trying to increase the atmosphere like these new maps.

If it wouldn’t mean a ton of work, I’d redesign those maps but – it is how it is for now. Lather those levels in war paint to cover it’s shortcomings lol

Mounted Lance Knight Idle

Mounted Sword Knight Dodge

^ This one is still a bit incomplete. There’s gonna be a couple more frames of the horse flailing it’s legs in the air before descending.

The critical attack animation will reuse the horse’s motion and the rider will swing his sword smear while in the air. Or, impale the enemy with a lance mid-air.

Since these are nearly done, I will go back to core battle gameplay pretty soon. We are also replacing the Arthur vs Harold duel with the new 2.5D duel scene – should have the wired up by next week. But, we still need Harold’s duel sprites… Good pixel art takes time.

I wanted to do a Christmas build, but there’s a lot still in the works. It’ll be worth the wait.

But, it’ll likely be a few months… maybe February or so?

The reasons being:

• The town level should be done by then

• The game will actually start in this town, then they leave to the fort level

• I want the world map to be done

• There’s a shitton of pixel art to do

It’s worth waiting for, imo.

Mini update.

Did some more level design work.

This level is filling out pretty nicely, will be even better once NPCs are all handled.

Hot damn, this animation is to die for. Totally worth telling my artist to add a few more flailing frames.

I am currently neck deep in AI and battle code. I am working on the new Escape win condition as well as some new AI behavior for allies to follow the player and to know when to escape.

To see me failing, watch this (I never share the failure shots lol):

You’ll see the results of my color grading in the cutscenes, though. It cuts off at the end because I got an error in my other monitor lol.

Best case, I’ll share more footage of the battle fully functional by tomorrow including looks at the new mounted battle sprites in action.

Worst case, and I really doubt it, it’ll be until Tuesday-Wednesday. Programming related issues are usually easier and faster to fix for me than artistic ones. None of the bugs are really huge anyway, just a load of small stuff since this map is super old.

Anyway, wish me luck! Probably watch One Piece then figure it out tonight.

EDIT: DAMN One Piece was fire today!

So – I made through the setup bugs. Something tells me I’ll be testing this battle all week though, lots to tweak and fix.

There’s some lag in a few places I need to optimize. The mounted sprite also don’t have death animations yet, so they just sorta sit there… dead but not dead.

This battle might be too tough, I may have to cut back on the mounted units because they’re OP asf right now. They’re strong and fast, so they x2 my slow units into oblivion.

That, or nerf their speed a little bit for this map, at least.

Since the mounted units take > 1 square, the formations get off for them – they get super bunched up. Also need to take care of that.

Anyway, I might not be able to deliver a demo with the town yet – but I can get this battle sorted out and release a build with somewhere during the holiday break.

Working on:

• Display of enemy atk ranges
  • Optimization
  • Group AI and Formation spacing

Will be back likely this time next week when things are completely behaving.

… I should nerf Penelope

When Units get super close, it looks like a mess right now. I might actually increase the space of a unit to be 2x2 – something like Banner Saga.

EDIT: Excuse my swarm of posting – thinking out loud.

I’m experimenting with having the default size of a unit being twice as big. Mainly, to avoid the spacing issue you see above.

But, this is a big design decision. The mobility of the units goes down drastically and on aan already cramped map like this becomes really tight.

It would work better in a larger map like the outdoor battle. Which leads to the question of:

Should I transition into combat only happening in larger maps and roll with the larger unit size?

Or leave it how it is and somehow find a way to keep visibility, possibly using shaders like this one:

The shader approach is easier but imo it’s uglier in scenarios where theres >5 units bunched up together.

I believe increasing the unit sizes are the way to go. But, feedback is appreciated since it’s a large decision.

• Have units take up more space
  • Use the shader approach and keep it how it is
  • Make characters smaller and discard the current art

0 voters

When you have all units take up > 1 square, you end up with less of a FE style and more of a Banner Saga style. That is, unless all your battle maps are huge.

But, that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

1 Like

making units take up more space sounds like the best idea; if small maps get cramped it’s much simpler to make a bigger version with existing tilesets than to implement a visibility shader or to redo all art

1 Like

Playtesting gameplay with units take more space in an area with more space. It’s really not bad and I can already see a lot of potential in this design.

For one, I’ll be increasing archer’s range greatly so they can fire from behind other units. Same for magic, but not as far as archers.

I’m planning to make units sort of walk into each other before triggering the battle scene, then walk back after fighting (sort of like Civ 5 Battles). Also planning on redoing our Grid Cursor UI for this size, which shouldnt be a big deal.

After more playtesting and polish – I’ll be porting existing battles to play this way. I might just skip all interior fort battles and have all the combat happen outdoors aside from the duel vs Harold which uses the 2.5D feature we did.

World Map (6/24)

pixel-world-map

2 Likes

Happy New Year, FEU!

Decided to roll with doing bigger updates, rather than every week or so. Lots of big changes and new work in the pipeline. For now, I’ll just share that I’m heavily considering adding voice acting to the game.

I am genuinely seeking feedback if it truly adds a great deal to the experience, so I’ll share a fully voice acted version of this cutscene in a few days and open a poll.

It’s a fair bit of work to sync the text reveal speed and the voice clip length, but seems to be totally worth it imo.

Not sure if there’s any voice actors here, but feel free to audition if you’re into it: Casting Call Club : Mystery Babylon

1 Like