A Letter from the FE Fan Game Community

I love those videos! I liked it when he played the hack I poured months into to see his genuine reaction to. It was a lot of fun, regardless of who we know him to be now. Those memories will stick with me forever, and I care a lot about them and being able to see them again.

3 Likes

Pretty much this.

At first I was skeptical of the deleted posts thing because anyone who wants the admins to look like a fool can easily delete their own posts.
Image2
But itā€™s all but been admitted to that all this criticism was buried just because of some (admittedly unnecessary) personal attacks. Oh and thereā€™s the disingenuous equating of those who take issue with the way this is being handled to ā€œapologistsā€ā€¦ and I could go on, but, Iā€™ll just get to the point: Iā€™m revoking my signature. Feel free to label me an ā€œapologistā€ too even though I still condemn Mangs.

Personal attacks suck, so please stop doing that, however I donā€™t feel itā€™s appropriate to delete someoneā€™s comment in this case and robbing the conversation of a valid talking point, so have the actual image.

Personal pride is nothing compared to the severity of the actions this is supposed to be an answer to, so donā€™t go at each otherā€™s throats like irresponsible brats. We are dealing with actual abuse so donā€™t try to use actual possible crimes as a chance to settle personal scores.

Klok makes the valid call on we honestly have no right to actually know how much he makes to tell him to donate that much. I honestly would redo this thread and just condemn his action, and tell him to do better without setting it in stone. We want him to own up to his mistake and money is not the only way to do so.

This is what the message of this is supposed to be anyway, so letā€™s not force any specific way of doing things.

12 Likes

Iā€™ll revoke my signature too. I still condemn Mangs and his actions, but I donā€™t want my name plastered on this drama any longer, and I donā€™t want to risk personal attacks.

3 Likes

Completely deleting his post because he used some words that offend you is pretty weak, considering you immediately called him an asshole afterwards as well.

Not accepting valid criticism and even immediately censoring it because of a technicality doesnā€™t help your case.
Especially because Klok and most people disagreeing in general only disagree with your method, not your intent, none of them Iā€™ve seen defend Mangs actions, they just donā€™t think the lengths or methods youā€™re going for are appropriate, that doesnā€™t deserve to be deleted, but can be discussed or at least heard.

1 Like

As WAve suggested, a fun charity stream would probably make for a better alternative. That, or simply showing your support of the charities listed and donating (or, yā€™know, both). Mangs should most definitely be held accountable to the law and is nothing short of a sexual predator, but this letter is doing nothing but bringing out toxic behaviours and verbal slander from both sides. Shitā€™s just disheartening to read.

Donā€™t put ā€œowesā€ in quotes, as if the fact that you didnā€™t use the specific English word ā€œoweā€ in your original post somehow excuses this. You wrote as follows:

Emphasis mine.

(Setting aside the fact that youā€™re asking him to dig up and publicize yearsā€™ worth of personal financial statements to satisfy your vendetta, which is obviously insane) The very clear implication in your post is ā€œMangs, we made you, you would be nothing without us, you should feel a moral obligation to spend the money you earned streaming our hacks as we (really, just you, Arch) dictate.ā€

ā€œOh no, but I didnā€™t use the word ā€˜oweā€™! I just used every other word in the English language other than the word ā€˜oweā€™ to express the same sentiment.ā€ Give it a rest.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll sign this.

In fact, I canā€™t sign off on it enough. This person clearly doesnā€™t understand, appreciate, or respect the spirit of this community. Learning about this leaves me feeling disgusted, but Iā€™m glad to see the community come together like this to condemn an abuser.

Earlier today, I was thinking about the whole document thingā€¦

Iā€™m revoking my signature. I donā€™t want to be a part of this anymore.

18 Likes

This is exactly what intimidation looks like. I respect your decision, but Iā€™ll admit that Iā€™m disappointed that all it takes for people to reconsider taking a strong stand is a bunch of people to create accounts and trash the thread. Thatā€™s exactly how this works; people turn something into a shitshow to make it seem more ā€œcontroversialā€ than it actually is, in hopes that it will lose support.

2 Likes

You shouldnā€™t have to fear any sort of personal attacks because you signed something.
You should feel free to sign it, itā€™s just a petition and not some sort of legal comndemnation forcing Mangs to donate.

2 Likes

shut up for a bit pls

iā€™ll re-open in a few hours, i think everyone needs to cool down

24 Likes

Based on some constructive feedback, we are revising the letter to be, hopefully, less contentious.

I can acknowledge that some of the original wording may have created false perceptions of our intent, and I apologize for that. Some of the criticism leveled is, I think, generally unfair, and assumes a malicious motive. But people are entitled to their opinions. We are promoting this cause because we believe that it is the right thing to do. Nothing more, and nothing less.

If anyone else has constructive feedback on how to modify the language of the letter, please feel free to reach out to me!

5 Likes

Right.

Iā€™m turning registration off and banning accounts that are under ~12 hours old that do not have a post outside this thread. If you think you have claim to be a ā€œlegitimateā€ member of FEU, you can contact me and we can have a chat.

2 Likes

Long story short, I sat down and sifted through the ~50 users that fit the criteria I listed above, and determined by hand whether they had legitimate purpose to be here. Of course, when an accountā€™s only activity is the single post ā€œIā€™d like to signā€ or ā€œyou are all fucking snakesā€, it is relatively difficult to judge intent, and so I chose to be rather liberal with the ban hammer. By no means do I want to erase the support the community is giving to the victims of sexual assault, etc, nor do I wish to remove legitimate criticism of the letterā€™s wording and stated intent. I definitely inadvertently banned some ā€œrealā€ users, and for that I apologize ā€“ if you are one, please let me know (on discord, or via email) and we can talk it out.

I am cautiously reopening the thread. Please donā€™t make me regret it.

2 Likes

I would like to sign this letter. Thank you for doing this.

1 Like