1h Blitz R1 [Complete]

Up next is @Clendo’s entry:

Story? Pah, who needs one. Clendo went with a full-on gameplay approach and managed to churn out three chapters in the hour. There were some fair challenges to overcome in the first two chapters. But then in the third chapter in true 1h blitz spirit, we went on a definitely completely deliberate quest to view all of the vanilla death quotes. I made a few savestates for safety and we managed to scrape by with 3 entire units left (out of a cast of 9). Psshaw, not even a challenge! :sweat_smile:

The last enemy was too powerful for my savestates, though.

Final boss

Some feedback

• Reinforcements in ch. 2 encouraged turtling by slowing down my progress forward
  • Encouraging party splits in ch. 3 would be more fun. ch. 3 was too difficult.
  • story would’ve helped to break up the gameplay and keep it fresher

This was the longest entry yet and I did feel it drag on a bit. I would have enjoyed it more if ch. 3 was left out, honestly. I feel like the first two were acceptably balanced, but everything went out the window in ch. 3. Even so, I still enjoyed the submission, so thank you for it, and I hope people enjoy the run.

4 Likes

Reflecting on length of these, I did specify “a chapter”, though it’s not really a big deal. I don’t want to be controlling about what I’ll accept.

Perhaps if it’s multi-chapter, I won’t start the next chapter if I’m already 15+ mins into the run and just cut it there. I want the guidelines to be fast & fun but I think the entries are more entertaining to play & to watch when they’re just bite-sized. If anyone feels strongly about breaking a guideline, just let me know and I’m sure we can work something out. If someone really wanted me to do a longer entry (for 1h blitz or MAFC), I’d be willing if they’re willing to edit the video down, for example.

2 Likes

Oh oops lmao I just figured it was get as much done as you can in an hour. My bad :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@DonkinDo’s entry:

In the MAFC contest I have this rule:

People laughed. I need an entire minute per enemy?

Well, here there were only 3 enemies. Guess how long I took. 3 mins? 6 mins? 9 mins?

13 minutes. For 3 enemies :sweat_smile:

Fool me once… shame on you, fool me twice… well, I got a couple of shameful game overs while trying this out.

I felt bad for Nivar, no longer able to follow her dreams. A bit of light social commentary there. Anyway, thanks for the submission. You certainly took advantage of my overconfidence, haha. I look forward to seeing what you do next. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Here’s the final entry for round 1 of 1h Blitz. This hacc is by AnonymousSpeed over at SerenesForest.

The writing in this is solid! How much cheating went on, I wonder…
On the other hand, the gameplay lacked polish, true to 1h blitz, so they can’t have cheated that much (on the combat, at least). I did have fun with it, but I would definitely suggest that they try a much smaller map next time!

In a couple days I’ll post the poll(s) to this thread so we can vote on our favourite. If you missed any and want to skim over any of the videos, here’s the full playlist. Thanks for the entries, everyone!

6 Likes

Pick your favourites

• AnonymousSpeed’s “Valternate Universe”
  • Pandan’s “Oh Heckin’ Cabbages”
  • Vesly’s “Cloud’s pet Sephiroth”
  • RandomWizard’s “Evil Fog Wizard”
  • Darrman’s “Celice meets some Fodlanese”
  • Clendo’s “Faltharian Heist”
  • Mycahel’s “Endless Dream”
  • SirNicee’s “Peggy the Pegasus Knight”
  • MysteriousDancer’s “Questionable Innocence”
  • XPGamesNL’s “Sacred MacGuffin”
  • Zmr’s “Hour of Dusk”
  • DonkinDo’s “My lil sis turned into a dancer”
  • Runa’s “Jon does a thing”
  • MrGreen3339’s “Game.ups”
  • Sme’s “Spooky Skeleton”

0 voters

(You may vote for your own entries :slightly_smiling_face:)

Finally, pick a number. Any number! We’re playing battleship now. I’ve picked one. Try and sink my battleship. Gl.

0 voters

0 voters

0 voters

(Useless feature I never knew this forum had lol)

Dangit 20 options max on polls so I voted for all 3 but only 1 of them is real

4 Likes

Me when I see a poll:

FE7 Hack.emulator-0

9 Likes

Categories

Fastest any%
@DrGreen3339 , who submitted just 50 minutes after my thread was created, perhaps being the only person who took this seriously:

:sweat_smile:

Most liked reply
@Runa 's “Jon does a thing”, with 16 whole likes. You could buy a buildfile with that many likes!

Most difficult and Most Bizarre
@RandomWizard 's “Evil Fog Wizard”, featuring the bizarre Reverse Thracia Fog Tm and difficulty in which I had to savestate and abuse RNG to complete at all.

Most relaxing
@Sme ‘s Spooky Skeleton entry, with easy combat and some truly vibin’ music.

Newcomer’s medal
@SirNicee’s Peggy, which was surprisingly balanced with enjoyable gameplay.

Most confusing
@Darrman 's “Celice meets some fodlanese and fights stuff!!” which I had to pause and ask about to find where buildfile ended and hacc began. Still had fun, tho!

Most Draconic
Vesly 's “Cloud’s pet Sephiroth”, featuring a playable dragon that isn’t actually playable because Berserk status. Easy level to cheese, though.

Biggest Plot Twist
@Mycahel 's “Endless Dream”, which hit me right in the feels.

Most Overly Polished
@Zmr ‘s “Hour of Dusk”, which even had a heckin’ custom title screen in it, lmao.

Cabbagiest
@Pandan 's “Oh Heck”. You had me at “cabbage”.

Lavaiest
XPGamesNL “Sacred MacGuffin”, whose lava warmed my heart. Overall my personal favourite submission this round.

Compelling Premise
MysteriousDancer 's “Questionable Innocence”, which threw me right into the action and felt exciting to complete.

Completiest
Clendo 's “Faltharian Heist”, in which he abandoned all story to somehow produce not two, but three chapters in under an hour.

Most Surprising Boss
DonkinDo 's “My lil sis turned into a dancer”, in which I underestimated the boss not once, but twice without save stating, which led to my downfall.

Epic Writer’s Award
AnonymousSpeed 's “Valternate Universe”, which featured some excellent dialogue. It’s no surprise they host the FE writing contest over on SF!

And the grand winner is the highest voted in the above poll!

Thank you everybody for the submissions. I await your MAFC5 entries.

If anyone feels too strained on time for mafc5, just do your submission as an X hour blitz instead. We’ll have a laugh about it and have some fun.

12 Likes

Yay i won a category

5 Likes

Thank you for hosting this Blitz, Vesly!
I had an absolute blast creating my submission and I really enjoyed watching the other submissions as well. Every submission had it’s own charm, making the very fun and unique. Can’t wait to start on the next round and make a fun chapter!

1 Like

Same here! It’s been really fun to watch how every single 1H hack stands out in its own way. Hope we get to see another round!

2 Likes

Thanks, Myc & XP.

Mafc5 due mid Jan. So next 1h Blitz round should start around March or April. I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

Here’s the OG 1h hack:

Ok, fine. 63 mins. I was a cheater from the start :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Seth sure is protecting himself from COVID.

2 Likes

Well you guys were close!

I picked 51 though smh :relieved:

4 Likes

Fun fact: There is something called the “Theory of big numbers” where if you gather many people and have them randomly guess a number with only a small number of clues, the total average of estimates will be frighteningly close to the correct answer :b

also the average of the numbers available 41-60 is 50.5 so there’s that too

1 Like

While I was downloading a bunch of stuff to my big hack archive, I compiled all the stuff here into one folder.

Now you can try all the entries from one single download. Well, two. You do have NUPS, right? All apply to FE8 outside of Pandan’s entry. Now I’ve got a MAFC entry to be brainstorming.

6 Likes

New thread title: [Complete] Blitz [15 Chapters]

*all chapters made as individual 1 hour hacks. “Complete” may be subject to interpretation.

4 Likes

It could be a fun idea though, combining all chapters togheter into one big hack. :thinking:
We’ll see. Maybe I’ll do it one day just for fun fun or because I’m bored.

Anthologies aren’t really my thing (sorry Elibian Nights!), but I think a compilation of the “best of” entries could be cool for some. Though it’d probably make more sense to use MAFC entries, as they’ll be more polished.

Edit: ahhhhhhhhhh i wrote “complication” instead of “compilation” by mistake ahhhhh

3 Likes