Help with Custom Animation

Not sure if this is in the right category but, anyways I have been working on a custom animation for quite a while and I’ve watched it so many times that I can’t tell anymore if I like it or if its just a choppy mess. So would anyone be willing to check it out and let me know what you think? I don’t really want to open source it yet, just would like someone to say, “holy crap thats bad, you should change___”, “looks good to me”, etc.

Its a strength based class that uses big two handed swords.

Would love to hear some feedback

you should gif it

Don’t really know much about making decent gifs. But here’s a preview pic

and some dropbox links to videos for easy viewing:
Normal
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9u4w41938hbfzr9/Zwei.AVI?dl=0

Crit

1 Like

but webms are the new hotness tho

All kidding aside, I really like the design on this! Two things come to mind that might be worth suggesting:

1. The character is a bit tall compared to most standard units, but if that’s what you’re going for, kudos.
  2. One thing I saw from the clips was that the motions seem a bit stiff. You might want to add a few frames between your keyframes to smooth out the motions so they flow a bit more. How many frames does this animation use out of curiosity?

Not gonna lie, I’m glad I’m not the only one who had this idea! FE needs some large sword wielding units! I can’t wait to see the final product!

Yeah that’s kinda the feeling I was getting, its still a little choppy. Its about 25-30 frames and I was getting tired of making frames and wanted to see what I had.
I’m glad you pointed out the size too because I was using berzerkers and warriors for references and I didn’t realize how massive it was until just now, feel sorry for any clerics he attacks

Thanks for the tips, I’ll get back to work making frames and see if I can’t make something really epic

It’s dangerous to go alone, take this!

Just insert an animation into a rom and then dump it with ‘include frames’ checked, or if it’s already inserted, skip the first step and just dump it anyway.

Congrats, you have gifs now.

1 Like

Wow that’s really cool!

Thanks!

@Spud No worries man! I’m glad to see some more animators posting on FEU! Frames take me forever too, but as long as you’re not doing hundreds you’ll be fine!

Yeah, looking at those animations, they are both quite choppy, but what you really need is just more frames in the middle of every current frame, and especially blur frames. Most people find blur frames to be the hardest frames to do. The actual animation itself is pretty cool.

BwdYeti should record a time-lapse video sometime of himself making an animation. Could be pretty informative.