I've been working on a FE5 menu translation patch for some time now, but, as the project nears completion it becomes harder for me to find bugs/untranslated things. So, I've decided to release the patch for playtesting. I estimate that it's roughly at 85%-90% complete.
Here's a few screenshots for you:
For the curious, here's some lists of names, classes, skills, items, and factions:
Possibly questionable text
Here's a quick FAQ:
- Q: Who provided the text?
- A: The wonderful bookofholsety provided a large amount of input when writing text, but I made a bunch of decisions that he wouldn't. Feel free to ask me about them.
- Q: Are you related to PN in any way?
- A: Other than thinking that PN is great and having the guidance of bookofholsety, nope. This is not a PN patch, it does not follow the standards that PN sets, and is not meant to be taken in any way to be the work of PN.
- Q: Are you releasing your findings and documentation regarding FE5?
- A: Yes! The plan is to release the files used in this patch soon, after some cleanup, so people can mess around. I also would like to publish some notes and documentation whenever possible. I have a thread for some doc, but it's sorely out-of-date.
- Q: Where'd you get the font?
- A: The font is custom-made for the patch. I have a funky program to chop it up unto tiles for use in the game.
- Q: Why not use the PN font?
- A: I'm not that much of a wizard.
- Q: Can I use this for a project?
- A: I'd prefer it if you didn't. Besides, good luck editing the the text without my font tool. Some tools for playing around with the patch will be released later, but I'd still ask that you didn't publish anything using it.
- Q: Unit ordering patch?
- A: Maybe some time later.
- Q: What tools do you use?
- A: bsnes-plus, HxD, EA, Dispel, NP++, xkas-plus, and python for writing tools myself.
- Q: Is any dialogue modified?
- A: The dialogue remains unchanged. This includes the text for armories and shops. The goal here is to avoid obstructing the story. If you really want to, you can translate the dialogue yourself without any jumbled characters or whatever. If I changed the dialogue font then I can't guarantee that text will be fine.
Here's the patch:
It's for an unheadered, unmodified FE5 SFC. Please don't ask me if it works with X patch, mod, or hack, as I haven't tested.
Post your comments, gripes, bugs, etc. here. If you find a bug or some untranslated text, provide a description of what happened/where to find the untranslated stuff, at least one screenshot if possible, and possibly a save file.