Discussion on the Japanese Mindset for Hacking

Have they played Bloodlines omgomgomgomg

名無しさん@お腹いっぱい。:2015/01/26(月) 19:39:41.82 ID:tlSEJ97A
海外製の原形を留めてないレベルの改造は凄いな
一例でもThe Last Promise、Midnight Sun、Dream of Five V3.0、Dream of Five V4.0とか
Dream of Five 3.0は序盤回復系が居なくてキツイからV4.0をやってみたが今度はドラゴンゾンビ突撃面で詰んだw
でも例えば曲に関しても蒼炎のDecisive Attackとか使われてたりして新鮮
最後まで遊べるのかは前述の通り詰んだから知らんけど

Even I have not played the hack called Bloodlines yet. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It is certain that the speak highly of The Last Promise、Midnight Sun、Dream of Five and so on. And they love your BGM from FE9.

名無しさん@お腹いっぱい。:2015/01/26(月) 23:09:56.29 ID:C4vJDg2a
海外のパッチは出来がすごいよな。
やってみたいが中学英語すらままならない俺には不可能だ…

翻訳してくれる神が出現することを祈ろう。

Even they hope someone can translate them.

O-oh…

Sniff… Sniff…

I guess they’ll play it… Another day…

guuuuhhhh

I’ll get my special comm! one day I tell ya!!

カワイソス… I mean Bloodlines has only been released to the public for several months. Give it time, I’d say. And hey, maybe you can get the second public patch out by the time you have an inter-community audience! :stuck_out_tongue:

Whoah. And here I thought that certain people in /this/ community were unfriendly to new people for saying “READ THE DOC” all the time.

1 Like

whoa just like sf

In fact, I agree with it to some degree. An ability to solve primary problems by oneself is a must to a hacker. They need lots of failures and efforts to understand what the word “hacker” means. Take the challenges and become outstanding. I also had a pretty difficult time when I was a newbie and spent several years to become an advanced hacker.

It is quite common in eastern hacking circle. Even myself have some doubts on that principle. Maybe that’s why I love the atmosphere here.

1 Like

SF isn’t even that bad anymore. People will help others most of the time. And the folks who act like dicks get called out pretty quick haha.

On the other hand, when you look at our approach, where we help out the noobs a good deal until they demonstate they’re actually incompetent) vs how the jap/chinese communities treat newcomers, and then you look at the level of hacking in our fandom compared to theirs, it opens up the possibility that just maybe helping out noobs and giving them tools leads to a much higher level of fans in the fandom and higher levels of playable products. The japanese/chinese communities are still relatively stuck in the stone ages compared to us.

[quote=“Klokinator, post:46, topic:720”]
On the other hand, when you look at our approach, where we help out the noobs a good deal until they demonstate they’re actually incompetent) vs how the jap/chinese communities treat newcomers, and then you look at the level of hacking in our fandom compared to theirs, it opens up the possibility that just maybe helping out noobs and giving them tools leads to a much higher level of fans in the fandom and higher levels of playable products. The japanese/chinese communities are still relatively stuck in the stone ages compared to us.
[/quote]I never said no to “helping new people is a good idea”. Being someone who asked quite a few questions as a new person, that would be pretty hypocritical of me. I liked Misaka’s post before because it was nice insight that I wanted to confirm I had read, but I didn’t reply because I had nothing useful to say on the matter.

Saying that anyone is stuck in the stone age is ignorant at best, whether you’re calling their social values primitive or talking about their different priorities in modding (e.g. adding gameplay features like skills instead of having something like a full custom story). And when Eastern modders are as solo as Misaka explained, that just makes everything they’ve done an order of magnitude more impressive imo. Whether or not anything on either side actually is impressive, let’s not compare the communities by saying that one of them is in the stone age, yeah?

Edit: sorry for going off topic. What I was getting at is that it’s probably not great diplomacy to call an entire group of people primitive.

Eh…I don’t think we are in the stone ages at all. For example, I do have the ability to make a completely custom chapter. Is it difficult in technology? Even if without EA, I can edit the chapter by a hex editor.The fact I haven’t done it doesn’t mean that I have no ability to realize it. Quite different.

By the way, I don’t think using a fool tool is a symbol of a much higher level. Thanks to the lack of tools, I learnt C/C++ and Java to make tools for my hack. And as far as I know, there is no fool tool to modify the system or create skills now, but jp hackers will feel a shame if there is no ASM tricks in his hack. (FE7if, FEGIRLS, Midori and so on)

In my opinion, the actual hacker must be a programmer instead of a guy who only relys on the fool tool that others made. Considering the SFC FE hack, can you say that you have a higher level?

No love for Elibian Nights.

You can use C++ to add new tricks, that’s what I’m doing now.

I also have some small notes about the (J) version of FE8 from reverse engineering FE Girls on where certain addresses are, but you guys probably already know them.

Yeah, yeah, Brendor, we all know about your C++ shenanigans now, but that’s not what we’re discussing.

I didn’t know…

But anyways he also mentioned docs on the (J) ROM, so its at least more on-topic than the strikethrough’d post above it :stuck_out_tongue:

Doesn’t help if there’s no link to the docs.

I was mentioning it in reference to what @MisakaMikoto said about needing to rely on low level assembly to make hacks.

1 Like

I haven’t published any of my skill notes yet, I thought it’d be better if I released my notes with my purposed general skills patch. What I’ve found, however, is thus:

[spoiler] RAM addresses are 8 less bytes in the (J) ROM than the (U) ROM. For instance, the slot 1 character struct starts at 0x202BE4C in the (U) ROM, but 0x202BE48 in the (J) ROM, and this formula remains true for a vast majority of the WRAM as far as I’ve seen. The ROM data (data past 0x08000000) is the same if you subtract 90 bytes bytes from the (U) address, which means that I may be able to release one skill patch that can be applied to either the (J) ROM or the (U) ROM.
[/spoiler]

However, like you said, this isn’t what the topic is for so you can disregard :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: spoiler tags don’t work?

I assume you mean 4 bytes before?

oh yeah oops