Why I Hate Splicing (and Why You Should Custom)

This argument is fine now that we’ve entered 2021, have a community that 80% of people say they’re fine with posting all their stuff as F2U/F2E and so on, and we have a working portrait repo with tons of resources.

However, pre-2021, we did not have that. We had the beginnings of it, sure… but only the beginnings. Pre-2019, we didn’t even have that. No portrait repo, you have to pop around in a million places to find anything workable, etc. Therefore, if you didn’t want to bug a good spriter or couldn’t get anyone to sprite for you, splices were the next best thing.

I actually agree with some of the sentiment in the OP, but you can’t really operate off the assumption of “just use F2U resources bro” because those were very hard to find pre-repo. It’s not that they didn’t exist, it’s that they were in a million different places, you had to search like crazy to find anything you’d want to use, and so on.

4 Likes

I myself know I’ve seen quite a few people willing to resort to producing portraits directly with CharacterCreator even though they look awful compared to more manually produced stuff, spliced or full custom, just because it’s that easy.

They work fine as placeholders, but why not just use F2U mugs that fill the same purpose instead of wasting time on making the placeholder? This goes beyond just splicing and more spriting in general.

Because even if they’re placeholders, I still want them to look reasonably close to their intended appearances, and sometimes just recoloring a F2U portrait isn’t enough.

1 Like

whelp

Sigh

Guess it’s that time of the month again.

This post reads like gatekeeping, and there isn’t anything I could say that hasn’t be said already.

I’m just so tired of threads like these.

15 Likes

Alright so from my understanding, a lot of people who make splices are solo hack creators. I genuinely didn’t know that and assumed a lot of people just tried it out for fun or to get good at pixel art. Apologies once again for the oversight.

7 Likes

Serious answer: I think people who splice don’t always do it “just” because it’s easier, but because doing custom mugs is a big commitment. Of course you can improve with time and effort but it’s not something everyone is willing (or even able) to do. Making custom mugs takes way more time than splicing and you can’t expect every hackers to find an artist willing to do this kind of work for them. Especially when they’re satisfied with the way splices look in their game.

I know you want to help, and I appreciate the intention. Encouraging people to get better at their craft is great. But it’s not as black and white as you make it seems out to be. I, for one, don’t have the time and patience to take the “next step”. Splicing allows me to express ideas I have in mind quickly when I have some free time, but it’s still something I do on the side. If the only thing I could do was custom mugs I would probably not bother at all.

Once again, it’s a hobby, not a job.

16 Likes

Oop I mixed the repo and mugging blitzes up, my bad.

1 Like

Couldn’t help but notice that you’ve just made a full-length game out of passion alone and released it for free but, ummm, this guy looks like Hector?? Disliked. Downthumbered.

15 Likes

Even the blitzes are a new concept. I think the first blitz happened what, early 2019? SF had a highly elitist atmosphere around spriting. I recently re-read a bunch of spriting comp threads, and many of the posts there were highly toxic, discouraging, greedy, rude, and some of those weren’t even written by me! (Wow I had a lot of bad posts on SF, definitely feeling I deserved the ban, looking back.)

In any case, for 95% of the FE fandom’s history, or at least the 18 years I’ve been around, spriting was a highly exclusive little circle of ‘elites,’ then a larger circle of people splicing for fun, and an even larger circle of modders just making pure-black-haired Lyns for their projects. The last two circles often went hand on hand, while the first one did not, not so much.

It’s only because of Circles and Colorz leadership, combined with FEBuilder’s explosion on the scene, and dare I say it, the repo, that so many resources have become F2U at the same time as the community adopted a more sharing-is-caring mentality. Prior to all three of those factors emerging at once… good luck. You just could not find anything of decent quality without begging for sprites from someone in the first elite circle.

So hey. 2020 wasn’t all that bad!

3 Likes

I’ll start here since I consider myself the biggest offender of this currently. disagree if you want to
I’ve tried customing before. I’m sure if you’ve lurked around in the discord enough you’ve seen the small faces and general disarray.
I’ve done my best to learn how to make custom sprites, but it’s just hard. Nothing looks or feels right, and I try to make it better and it doesn’t do that. It’s easier for me to just splice some crap together (and it looks better too) than if I were to spend hours on a custom that eventually ends up in my trash bin because it’s unsalvageable.
Now you might be thinking: “why not use the mugging blitz stuff you dumb nerd.” Well believe me, I have used, edited, and recolored mugging blitz portraits a lot. But eventually, you run out of F2U stuff. If everybody is using the same things, then everybody’s projects look the same anyways.
And also, when you need something not readily available. There were no Effie mugs out there. So I spliced a good enough one. Now I’m sure people would argue and say “it doesn’t look anything like her sksksksk” But I’d rather spend half an hour on a good enough splice then spend hours and hours on a bad custom.

You can’t develop a proper understanding of anti-aliasing because so much of it is done for it, and as many know, I believe anti-aliasing is the most important fundamental in GBA portraiting.

This is a fair point. However, looking at splices is actually, in my opinion, a good learning tool. You can’t learn to do something without seeing how the original goes together. I’ve learned a lot a about anti-aliasing from just splicing.

I know I’m not the best example of persevering through learning something, but I put in hours on customs over the summer that ended up as just… bad.

And below, you can see a non splice vs. a splice of mine. With the non-splice, it was just wrong. So people suggested I splice on an existing face, so I did. And no matter what I tried, it just gets worse.
test Effie
People said “why don’t you just use the F2U corrin” and while that’s fair to say, people want their projects to look nice and unique. If every project had, for example, the same exact Ike mug, nobody would find that cool anymore, even if it was a custom.
Splicing, to me, is a way to try to set apart a project from others that just use F2U assets. Does it look great always? No. That’s bound to happen. But can everybody just jump in and create these amazing customs? Fuck no. The best spriters here either have years of experience, are just artistically gifted, or both.
Splices shouldn’t be looked down on just because they’re not as good as customs. If I customed every sprite I ever made, sure I may have improved by now, or I’d just have spent hours on the garbage mugs people make fun of when the creator’s not around. Why show off your absolute garbage to the world when you can just splice and people will hate it anyways?
Splicing isn’t bad and shouldn’t be looked down on. Just because the most elite spriters don’t think it’s cool doesn’t mean it’s bad. It’s like when buildfile users shittalk Builder users. Builder is easier than buildfiles, and splicing is easier than customs. Some people just can’t do art like that, but still don’t want to use the same F2U stuff as meganerd420 or whatever.

TL;DR: go read my fucking post lol

8 Likes

The year is 20XX. There is a full repo worth of f2u mugs. Nobody makes new mugs. Every hack uses the same mugs for their casts. Every MC is one guy’s version of Kelik.

26 Likes

Honeydew is in every hack.

The greater FE Hacking Dewniverse.

14 Likes

World peace soon follows.

17 Likes

Pikmin. How are you obtaining six likes in seventeen seconds? Are you hacking?

5 Likes

In 20XX we all spend our time on the forums liking posts because we’re not busy making mugs

4 Likes

Longer reply:

Because I don’t have art background (unlike you iirc), I have like zero confidence in terms of anatomy. I can say that splices help me construct the fundamentals on the sprite itself, also chipping lots of time so I can focus more with designing, rather than technical issues such as anatomy, anti-aliasing, etc. It also help establish what I’m gonna do for the portrait too.

Why does most people go to splicing? Because splicing is easy in concept. You’re just mixing some slices of portraits into one new mug. Splicing requires little to no skill, deffo. I get what you mean, like people don’t really clean up their splices or another problem I don’t know of. People has their own learning curve, we can’t expect a lot of spriters to grow as exponential as me or like Obsidian, for example.

I think I can somehow understand what you feel here, but this is not a good way of expressing it.

4 Likes

I feel like they were earlier because I remember joining FEU because Natsumi asked if I wanted to put a portrait on a blitz (that green one you DMed me about). But regardless, I’m not sure how not having resources in the past matters when they’re there now and growing.

1 Like

Consider how much you improved when you took the step away from splicing and into customing. This wasnt because of some built-in talent, this was just you taking what you knew and applying it and improving. You sky rocketed.
This topic isnt necessarily directed to people like you however. Your splices are hardly recognizable as splices because you pump them full of fixes and custom parts to the point where only the base was spliced, and they read mostly as custom.

This was supposed to be a push for spriters to take that step to customing and improvement, though admittedly not a great one judging by the backlash.

It also seems I completely misjudged my directed audience regardless, as I meant to address it to newer or inexperienced spriters who want to improve at spriting and are willing to invest in it, which seems to a be a minority of spriters. I’ve admittedly separated spriting in my head from hacking more than I shouldve.

Shoutouts to everyone replying without reading the original post. This is a documentation of thought, and unlike my poorly-written venture, this is actually compact and shouldn’t be misconstrued because you guys only read the title.

3 Likes

You’re right, I’m sorry. I’ll read the original post as soon as you take the time to read the replies!

1 Like

No no, I’ve read every reply. There are plenty of fair arguements, which is what I was hoping for. I’ve worded a lot of things very poorly, and made some blatant oversights.