When do y’all promote your army?

20/20 in all games that allow me to. IMO There’s not a good enough reason to not do it including healers. Echoes is different because how that game works, so that’s usually as soon as physically possible.

2 Likes

This is all so… telling? I love seeing how a community with a common interest having different opinions. Really sums up the experience. I am in the 15-18 gang myself

1 Like

You know what? For my next playthrough of a FE game, I’ll make the “when” a “never”.

I always promote at level 20. I’d rather have strong units for endgame than overpowered units during midgame who fall off. It’s not like level 20 is some impossible hill to climb. The last time I played FE7, Erk was already level 20 by the time I the first Guiding Ring came in the Pirate Ship chapter. And Serra was level 20 by the time the second came at the Dragon’s Gate. And I wasn’t using the arena (it was Hector Hard Mode on cart). It was actually the first time I’d done Hard Mode in FE7. I’d never actually gone all the way through it when I was younger because I’d always quit over the limited deployment slots, and I honestly still don’t really like FE7’s Hard Modes (other than Lyn Hard Mode because it’s pretty much just a tutorial skip) because the low deployment just isn’t very fun.

I’ve seen Mekka’s analysis video on Canas that says you should promote him at ten for the burst of attack speed. That’s all well and good, but it dooms him to being relegated to serving as a staff bot by endgame, while my Canas promoted at level 20 was able to double the Elfire Valkyries with Luna.

4 Likes

I think the issue is usually that endgame doesn’t really matter. You’re given enough tools to cheese it and a Gotoh at some point as well. Usually the midgame is where Fire Emblem is hardest.
Except in Radiant Dawn where the first part is hardest for some reason and then the rest is a cakewalk

It’s honestly impressive how much a difference a single unit makes - and that I don’t even need to mention their name either lol. Radiant Dawn goes from 9/10 insane to 4/10 insane almost instantly.

I concur that it’s really interesting to see other people’s takes on promotion. I have to add - promoting early is an immediate boon but really, for most FE games, is simply gaining 2/3 levels in one moment. And then losing those three level ups within the next few chapters as your unit now takes less than half the usual experience points.

depends on the game ig, generally closer to 20.

Always Level 20…ya it may not be worth grinding with the same weapons and weak defense than when you promote but trust be, if you be a little patient then your units will be unstoppable like real life Tanks. But Honestly, It depends on the FE game you’re playing.

2 Likes