What's your current Hackers Block?

I doubt you’re bad at writing

1 Like

Wait why?

2 Likes

Honestly, because we are all bad at writing in a way. But only through admitting and working through it can we grow and become better writers. If I may ask why do you feel that you are bad at writing?

1 Like

Inserting weapon icons

1 Like

I’d say the biggest problem for me is starting. Like the opening and prologue chapter. I always feel like what’s happening is contrived and overly complicated. When I try something simpler it fails to establish any meaningful character traits, narrative tone, or even feel like the beginning of the story at all.

Honestly, I just get way too addicted to re shading my mugs and playtesting. I just play the same chapter 4 times for no apparent reason before realizing how much time I’ve wasted away, and then IRL calls again.

1 Like

For me, it’s not even mapmaking in general. It’s specifically mountains.

I want mountains in my maps.

I can’t for the life of me make them look good.

Help.

6 Likes

I understand you…

I feel this

Are there any map creators who are good at mountain-making?

this is relatable on so many levels, my mountains never look right.

I have looked around and I’ve seen quite a handfull of people who are good at making maps. Most of them also post their maps on FEU, so you maybe you can ask them for tips?

I can make decent mountains, is it worth the amount of time it takes though? I don’t think so.

Teach me your ways sensei

1 Like

My block right now is not being able to import my batle animations haha. That´s like, the mayor thing that keeps me from creating stuff.

1 Like

A little bit of everything, honesty. More specifically, doing “fuzzy” stuff like writing a new chapter, map making, or spriting a new mug.

If it’s just a minor block, I can usually build the momentum to get over it by doing some minor technical stuff. Spriting, writing, and game design are arts, not sciences, so it’s easy for me to let perfectionism get the best of me. There is literally no “perfect” so it always feels like it could be better. Coding a script, a new skill, or a game mechanic has a definite end point, and quickly switching gears to that can give me the hit of dopamine I need to keep going.

However, some times you just burn out, plain and simple. If you work on your project for long enough, sometimes you just get tapped out of motivation to work on it. Don’t be afraid to step away from your project for awhile, you’ll probably get the itch to return to it with renewed vigor and full of ideas after a few days. Doing other stuff for a while helps bring in fresh ideas and keeps you from feeling stagnant. It can sometimes be difficult to parse the difference between a block and burn out, but if you take time to reflect on what you’re thinking and feeling when you get stuck, you’ll get better at telling the difference.

1 Like

General exhaustion and becoming busier, my schedule is packed with a full time job and multiple non-work commitments, so I rarely have time to myself. At some point I need to sit down and find some time to set aside every week to work on it little by little again.

Balancing and play testing

Same here, I’ve lost like all inspiration for map-making for some reason, which isn’t a great point to be at when I’m trying to make a prologue so I can start getting a feel for my own gameplay

2 Likes

Alright so for me currently its become a matter of getting motivating myself to get a tileset done, so I can then get the prologue finished and so i can get onto more interesting maps as well as actually start working on gameplay and classes and stuff within tactile.