What enemies are your least favorite and favorite to face, and why?

Mostly self explanatory, but I’m curious to see what kind of enemy design feels grating, and what feels fun.
Staring the discussion off, I love bosses that move. They’re usually less strong, but they have more presence on the map.

4 Likes

I love yo fight against custom /unique classes bosses that not share their class with any other on the game.
The bosses I hate… Mmm the puré evils cause yes… The ones thar are evils without any reasons. You know, the demon lords and stuff

1 Like

I love going against very despicable, vile and 100% evil dudes. Ashnard and Valter come to mind.
They keep taunting you during the whole game, so defeating them feels awesome…
The fact that my first encounter with Valter had a Pierce proc on Ephraim into a game over only made me more mad haha

3 Likes

I prefer not evil enemies
Those that you have read the previous story
Those that you want to recruit rather than kill them
Those that are some heartbreaking for the players. Like Camus, Hardin, Lyon, the opposite family on Fates etc

2 Likes

Gameplay-wise, a lot of it comes down to how they’re placed on the map. Siege weapons and status staves can easily become annoying if placed poorly, but placed well they can make for really interesting maps.

What’s always going to be annoying is enemies with low% crit rates. DON’T PUT 5% CRIT ON YOUR COMMON WEAPONS PEOPLE!

2 Likes

I love to face goombas soldiers

2 Likes

This. I love like… player characters balanced along the lines of “This unit will never crit ever, since their luck is low” but enemies with 5% crit? That’s 1 in 20! That’s insane! Why would anyone ever think that’s a good idea?

1 Like

Hate any geneals with great shield and cap def as for the one i like it would be assassin they have cool animation

2 Likes

Generals , but only SNES generals. They are pathetic everywhere else

1 Like

Snipers with both a crit bonus AND 2-3 range at once are a complete nightmare because they outrange almost everything and can be very risky to fight if you can’t get in melee range, which can also be tricky (or outright impossible if they’re holed up in smth like a murder hollace)

3 Likes

Purge bishop basically on chap 16 on fe 6 things go well then Roy crit by that and I’m still salty about

1 Like

I think that there is room for both kinds of enemies, but in any case they should be presented apropiately.

3 Likes

Paladins are pretty terrifying in some hacks.

1 Like

As a player I like fighting units with 1-1 range and no canto, cause I they’re easy to manipulate and basically do whatever you want with. But that doesn’t make for very good hack design.

My least favorite units are stuff with high crit rates and stuff with really heavy area denial (archer, wyvern riders, pegasus riders that are way too bulky, long range mages at the end of a chapter, Armor/calvary slayers)

1 Like

I hate facing snipers most of the time. They’re always weirdly bulky and if I can’t kill them on player phase they’ll be able to get free pot shots in and in a lot of games have at least +10% crit. I will always stan glass cannon archers and snipers for this reason, if you can reach them before they reach you, you’ll be good but if you’re too slow you’re risking a nasty crit or at least big damage.

I love a good strong wyvern perched somewhere on the map with a silver lance, encourages using some bulky units like armors and use some classes that may underperform in certain games otherwise like archers too, especially if they have ballista access.

1 Like

I like killer axe warriors because they have surprisingly good move and can put the fear of god into a player.

Also funni spin

1 Like

In general I’m not a fan of long-range ennemies (be it siege tome, ballistas, offensive staves, etc.) because they tends to be painful to deal with.
When used well it can be an interesting map design gimmick, but it’s tricky because in classical Fire Emblem gameplay there is few ways to really counter them. So, if you end up in a situation where you can’t properly fight them, you are either forced to rush and pray that you will survive, or put a unit that can survive in range and let it tank the attacks until they no longer fire, in both case it leads to frustrating moments that can break the flow of a map.

On the other hand, I like thieves and bandit on maps with chests and villages. They are an easy risk-and-reward way to encourage the player into going out of their comfort-zone and play more aggressively

1 Like

Everybody seems to be really against longer range enemies, but I’m just here to say that yeah, siege tomes suck to be surprised by, but ranges up to five I find really fun, so long as they don’t get too crit-happy. It makes choosing how to manuever more interesting, but above five makes it honestly unreasonable to keep track of.
So medium ranges are great, would love more of those, but long ranges are kind of a pain.

1 Like

Archers with Certain Blow suck, please stop using skillsys defaults in hacks for the love of god-

4 Likes

I’ll defend siege weapons. Sure, they can be annoying, but as long as they are in a place you can access I think it makes for a fun puzzle. The 2 times I’ve played FE shadow dragon, the wooden cavalry was my favourite chapter, since you have to use some very unorthodox strategies and characters to beat almost every ballista at the same time. Unless you warpskip, heh

2 Likes