What brought you to FEU?

Symphonia and FFTA <3

Both near and dear to my heart.

To begin with, I come from a totally sheltered background in terms of playing video games so like I barely had any exposure to Fire Emblem and I heard of Fire Emblem through the release of Smash 4. LOL, SO I WAS A TOTAL VIRGIN TO ALL OF THIS. I legit live under a rock you know. So I had the idea to look at Fire Emblem vids on youtube and try playing the GBA games (which I did finish thanks to cheesing it with arena abuse :P). There I found Mage Knight 404 and his ancient lets plays. It was a radical time for me and the FE community to get its second wind thanks to Awakening. I do have experience with SRPG since Iā€™ve played the PS1 Final Fantasy Tactics before but I never played anything like Fire Emblem at all!

Although my own first-hand experience may be as typical as any newcomerā€™s story would be in the Post Awakening Era, I later found out about romhacking projects that were more or less ā€œPlayable Fire Emblem Fanfictionā€. Thus, I also discovered the wonders of spriting characters into these things called ā€œmugsā€ or portraits basically. Okay, short to the point. I liked them a lot so I thought it was totally cool and I tried making my own sprites of MY OC DONUT STEEL. Actually, I gave up at first trying to make my first sprite because I didnā€™t know to use the selection tool at all!

Yeah, I didnā€™t even know how to use MS Paint I was that clueless about how to make sprites outside of following some splicing tutorial I got off of Reddit. Can you believe it? A person like me, who now makes portraits from scratch never knew how to use the selection tool on MS Paint before when I first attempted to make sprites.

In my attempt to make sprites the second time, I joined the FEU Discord Server for realsies, no more lurking like a loser. Then I had the courage to show my work in the sprites channel and have people guide me to make my first ever splice.

1st_Splice_Original

After that, I continued to stay on the long set goal of making my own custom sprites. Turns out I reached that goal after like NEARLY TWO YEARS OF STRUGGLING AND SELF DOUBT. Itā€™s okay, I was a total crybaby but I managed to pull through by being unnaturally persistent and learning how to accept criticism. Iā€™ve grown attached to the people who guided me almost every step of the way and look up to the veterans a lot (even the ones who dislike my emotionally sensitive personality).

By being a part of this community for almost two years was a lot of fun, I found a hobby I like to continue working on and I feel like I have a responsibility to uphold since Iā€™m probably considered a veteran spriter by now. A veteran spriter whose only good at one field of work but hey that counts! I only scratched the surface of spriting since I havenā€™t learned how to make GOOD battle sprites and
miscellaneous graphics yet

3 Likes

Iā€™m just some guy who stumbled upon FE7 by accident about a year and a half ago, and loved the games ever since.

Then a few months ago I was like ā€œSince nobody I know knows what Fire Emblem is and doesnā€™t actually care, I might as well join the community.ā€ and made a Serenes Forest and FEU account.

The rest is history, and now Iā€™m just trying to learn to romhack so I can be prepared for when I eventually get a PC.

1 Like

Believe it or not! I remember when I was 5 years old. My mom and I were looking around for a game because I only had one, which was Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 (Dang, that game was fun). Anyways, as I was looking for a game, originally I was looking for any Pokemon game I could get my hands on. Since I couldnā€™t read at the time, my Mom whipped out Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, assuming that it was Pokemon. I think much of it. When I popped the cartridge in my Gameboy. I was blown away from the game. Yeah, I sucked at it back then by only using Seth, and without the discover of of the weapon triangle, and wEpEoNs RuStInG!

When you suck at a game, you play with it and just canā€™t solve it. Sooooooo, Iā€¦ Soldā€¦Itā€¦ Atā€¦ GameStopā€¦ Never to be seenā€¦ Again. Dang, I was a dumb kid!

In 8th grade, I heard on the name ā€œFire Emblemā€ once again. This time, on my phone (You guessed it! FE Heroes). The name was familiar to me. So I went on YouTube and looked up ā€œfire emblemā€. First result was one of MarkyJoe1990ā€™s ragefest. It was ā€œMarcā€™s Special Dayā€ by FELover3 during his III Ragefest Contest. I watched it and I was questioning myself ā€œHow come the Fire Emblem game was, not normal?ā€ Such questions was answered by the discovery of a tutorial of ROM hacking. I was wondering to myself that is it humanly possible for me to ROM hack? I tried on a Pokemon FireRed ROM and just messed up the warp points. But, I tried to learn as I get it more and more. When I was re-watching the tutorial again out of boredom, I came to the link to the application ā€œFEBuilderGBA.ā€ I was constantly downloading the source code.
I got myself in a situation here, so when I heard about Fire Emblem Universe. I went to you guys curiously and made an account, asking you guys how to download FEBuilderGBA.

Then, why join? To ask questions and to be better at ROM hacking. It amazes me on the fact that people can ROM hack games, that may be better than their original program.

Anyways, to rap it up from coming to where I am now. I became a member just last year in Nov 21, 2019, and I would like to call myself a well experienced FE player. I am currently ROM hacking my own Sacred Stones into Dawn of Destiny and so far. Itā€™s going great.

I joined FEW in itā€™s dying days and got directed to join FEU as an out.
Back in the days with Death and Fizdiz, I think that was his name at least.

I believe I first went to FEND and it became my home for itā€™s duration as FEU was going through growing pains and Iā€™d drop in for each of itā€™s reincarnations but Iā€™d never stick around and preferred other places like Serenes, literally hurts to even type that.

Loathe Serenes now and Iā€™m pretty anti-community and anti-people so I came here because it was less crowded and the people originally werenā€™t the kind of people whoā€™d annoy me.

Now I just sit on the fence and watch. Same with the discord where Iā€™ll drop in, realize I hate it and then leave.

Around pretty consistently though.

2 Likes

I already knew of the site more than a year before I joined, but did not feel the need to actually go here because I am part of another FE/hackingcommunity. I eventually got here because I was actually posting the enhancement patches(only FE7 and FE8 existed at the time) in the memechat at GFE1R. Kirb then asked me not to post it there and instead go to FEU. I just posted updates on both places after that moment. I DID discontinue support for that discordcommunity shortly after tho because the project died and nobody was there anymore.

My story with FE hacks as a whole does involve Elibean Nights, but not really that majorly. I just saw small portions of the hack on YouTube years before I actually got into the series proper and that lead me into just saying ā€œYeah, letā€™s do thatā€ because I was just impressed with it. And thus, I just decided last year to finish EN as a fanmade version that follows my personal storyvision. Still have to work on that btw, already began getting back to it some time ago, but I have 2 other projects for this year(Already have another on the waitlist for once the other ones are done) and I am part of a team with another project, so lol.

1 Like

I just wanted to put up a link to my hack. That was it.

1 Like

I got into FE when my sister bought Awakening on a whim without knowing what it was because the cover looked cool. Made some friends when I got more involved in the community, one of which was making a PME.

I thought with my artistic background that maybe I could make sprites for people for the PME (Oh how wrong I was, they sucked.) Eventually I started seeking critique, and was directed to FEU, and the rest is history.

2 Likes

This seems to be where most of the hacking stuff is done now, so I moved. I still peek at Serenes every now and then, though.

1 Like

Just gonna stick with the story of why I joined FEU. Some old post by Arch saying it was gonna be more hacking focused with documentation. As search junkie who loves posted documentation I went ā€œword?ā€ and joined

The first time, friends. The return, it was the only active community where pixel art mattered to anyone. Turns out some of my friends were still here too.

5 Likes

The first time? I just wanted to follow the hacks that interested me, and it seemed more up to date then Serenes.

Now? Since Iā€™ve found my place in the community, now I like to see how everyone is doing and support them and their projects.

1 Like

I was on serenes for a while, didnā€™t really do much, some dude stole my sprites and then I joined FEU the same day (2017)

Then resonance and shit happened and I had my own friend group (which is still mostly intact)

3 Likes

The fan games

I loved peopleā€™s ideas which inspired me to write the story for a saga I plan on using the LT Engine for
Still need some help with some portraits so if anyone wants to help

Also has anyone made a hack thatā€™s not FE4 with a second gen?
Also @P33RL355 who stole ur sprites?

I first went onto this website to download some patches to play roms like Project Ember and Justice and Pride. However, soon after, I managed to create a rom of my own and I figured this was the best place to put it up.

1 Like

I actually had to look up the name, itā€™s some guy named ChaosSlicer on serenes. Looks like theyā€™ve been inactive for a while, though

He has an old thread where you might recognise some of my sprites

And upon further investigation it looks like he stole from other people as well so uhh yeah

I realized I never posted here although maybe I should.

To keep it simple, Nnadnerd sent me an invite link to the discord because heā€™s a really nice guy and wanted to help me.

For a more interesting answer, I was working on a PME that my community was doing, and dropped by the discord server to get help with hacking. I feel like Iā€™ve taken more from the community than I have given, but then that really depends on how much you think my contributions matter, lul.

Ultimately, I stuck around because I always had plans to turn this story idea I had been working on into a game using Fire Emblem mechanics, so I guess I donā€™t really know if Iā€™ll have much reason to stick around after thatā€™s done, but thatā€™s a discussion for another day.

I didnā€™t even know this thread existed, cool.

Zoi invited me to her hacking server for reasons I donā€™t remember. I asked for some help on some portraits when I was still a wee bitty spriter, and a couple people directed me here. I was pretty quiet and only stayed in Spritans at first, for almost half a year, but I eventually joined a VC and met some awesome people, and decided to venture outside of my shell. The rest is history I guess.

2 Likes

i needed people to make my mugs, busk. still do.

I saw videos of Ghastā€™s romhacking series and I thought it was really cool. I messed around with nightmare and feditor for a bit then I came across FEU discord server and joined.

1 Like