USC - round TEN - Mugs+Battle Sprites: ~Japan/Hoshido~

Please refer to latest post for current round

(credit: Peer for compilation)
Previous ROUNDS

Welcome to our tenth round of the FIRE EMBLEM UNIVERSE: ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL SPRITE COMPS!

For those who remember our old Splicing Competitions on Serenes Forest this is (hopefully) the beginning of a new era of Spriting Competitions on Fire Emblem Universe. At Serenes we got to round 160 for Splicing Comps and round 24 for Battle Sprites. If we can get anywhere near the amount of creativity shown here, we’ll have a great thing going!

These sprite competitions will consist of Portrait, Battle Sprite and other forms of Fire Emblem based spriting we desire, to have some variety in the competition.

Starting off however we will alternate between Portrait and Battle Sprite comps as they are the most popular sprite forms.

-OUR CURRENT ROUND-
USC ROUND TEN: Japan/Hoshido
Theme: Mixed Spriting - Make a portrait AND battle sprite inspired by the aesthetic of Japan and/or Hoshido. (Splice or Customs welcome.)
(OCs or pre-existing characters welcome, but must be made for the round)

DEADLINE: Saturday, September 30th at 11:59pm PST.

PLEASE REVIEW THE RULES IF NECESSARY.
Any further questions or concerns can be PMed to the current host! (Shep) or posted either in the feedback thread or within this thread itself.

Hope you all enjoy and have some fun! Lets get spriting! :smiley:

BASE RULES:

• Only 1 entry per contestant.
  • No voting for your own entry!
  • Entries should be limited to 16 colors. (15 colors+ 1 background color)
    This is more of a guideline, but good to follow for style and challenge reasons. Colors may be custom or using GBA sprite palletes.
  • No posting previous/old works!
    This means no edits/recolors of something previously made as well.
    -allowing previous/old works would give an unfair advantage to certain entries, two weeks is a good amount of time to work on an entry… how fair would it be to have to go up against something someone spent months or even a year on?
    -creating brand new works, encourages creativity and artistic growth and development, kinda what the whole art forums are about… isn’t it?
  • Hosts may participate in the competitions.

SPLICING SPECIFIC RULES:

• The theme is optional. You are not required to stick to the theme provided.
  • MANDATORY: only splice from the mugs provided. You are not required to use pieces from all 4 provided, as 2/4, 3/4, even 1/4 is fine.
  • No large “full custom” (made from scratch) areas, parts, or pieces. The final result should be made of and identifiable to areas from the source mugs. If you feel like your entry may be considered “questionable” to others, you are allowed to post work-in-progress screenshots or other visual proof of your process.*
    (kudos to Lenh for rules description in this area)

VOTING:

• Voting will be split into two categories.
    -Best in Theme
    -Best Overall Sprite
  • Voting will run for 3 days
    If there are a large amount of entries, Best in Theme may be divided into smaller categories based on whether an entry is custom, splice, or for battle sprite animation.

WINNERS:
Winning placement will be decided by total number of votes across categories.

• The winner gets to choose two potential themes either from a list or of their own imagination.
  • The winner and runner ups will vote upon the themes to select one.
  • Third place gets one vote.
  • Second place gets two votes.
  • The winner gets the final two votes in addition to theme selection.
  • Whichever theme wins will be used for the next competition.
    Note, votes can be split, if you have two votes they do NOT need to go to the same theme.

The purpose of these friendly competitions is for artistic development but also to help develop more resources for later projects… there is no monetary prize here, but I hope you all enjoy participating and winning those sweet bragging rights!

PREVIOUS ROUNDS

USC ROUND I: SPLICING COMPETITION 1
Optional Theme: Bandits

Winner: Melia

USC ROUND II: BATTLE SPRITE SHOWDOWN
Optional Theme: Ancient Egypt
Make a Battle Sprite that harkens to Ancient Egyptian History, Mythology, Aesthetics, etc.

Winner: OhNoSheBettaDont

USC ROUND III: SPLICE COMPETITION
Optional Theme: Mysterious Traveller

Winner: risingSolaris

USC ROUND IV: BATTLE SPRITE SHOWDOWN
Optional Theme: Unconventional Mounts
Make the best/coolest/craziest mount you can sprite/design.

Winner: Melia

14 Likes

Just to clarify, must the colours used in the palette only be from the given portraits we splice from or can they be from anywhere?

Colors can be from anywhere.

1 Like

0%20Complete%20Portrait

4 Likes

Question, are blinking and speaking frames mandatory inclusions?

Here’s mine :
splicebandit

And the wip thing

splicebanditwip

I’m not used to splice at all but well, it was pretty fun !

15 Likes

Not mandatory. Neat if you can do them, but not necessary. (First time I’ve actually seen them included tbh)

Some nice entries so far! Great to see a good turnout on the first day.

Anyways, I figured a slight change of the deadline was worth an additional post.

Judging by the speed of entrants so far, the two weeks for entries seems unnecessary. So I am shortening it to a week and a half roughly to start voting sooner.

Initial deadline was Tuesday, Feb 26.

UPDATED DEADLINE: Saturday, February 23rd at 11:59pm PST.

Does this mean contest material is F2U?

1 Like

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I assume it would depend on the creator. That said if people want to make their particular entry F2U they are more than welcome to indicate it.

I do know of many splice comp mugs that went on to be in a project though.

1 Like

Well, time to toss my hat in the ring/hopefully inspire some more entries…

Gillebart the Gold Scavenging Bandit King

(also his earlier more WIP form, I can scrounge up earlier versions if necessary.)

5 Likes

Template
Blegh.
I gave up after I finished the face which is why it’s the only fun and decent part.

7 Likes

SmugBandit
I’m finally done. Not too happy with the mouth frames but whatever.
Also just to clarify this is indeed F2U. Credit isn’t necessary but appreciated.

5 Likes

blind%20brigand
“If you think you can face me, then I’m not the only blind one here.”

5 Likes

usc01entry
A bit rusty, but I’ve finally pushed out a submission. Proud of this one regardless.

The WIP

usc01wip

9 Likes

Good enough I guess

6 Likes

Thing

I tried

3 Likes

Just to update, there are 3 days left to enter a splice!

We have 9 entries so far, and are doing pretty well here for competition, with lots of great entries… but if you haven’t joined in, we would love to see what you’ve got too! :smiley:

Contest%20Entry
Badas%20the%20Bandit

5 Likes

USC1-1_SC1

9 Likes