Update on Nocturne

Hello, to be honest, this should probably be on my twitter page instead of here, but I doubt any of you follow my Twitter.
A while ago I made a thead about a hack, Nocturne, then I cancelled it so I could instead make it an actual game once I got SRPG Studio, this was back around August. Then, around the time I began to be much more active in music porting, I began another hack unnannounced. As I now know. I get far to invested in my own stories to just make it a hack, so this hack became a prequel to Nocturne, this happened recently, within these last 2 or so weeks. On october 6th I got SRPG Studio for my birthday. I was so excited that I could finally make my own game, I opened it on my computer, and was to confused to do anything. I have spent this last week glued to my computer trying to figure it out but to no avail. This has made me very dissapointed, so close, yet so far.so why am I saying this? Because I want help. No not just want help, I need help in order to make this.
But what am I, a 9th grader with no stable income, and no friends willing to help me with this,supposed to do? Anyone willing to help me would have to face the fact that it might not sell well, and even if I were to make a kickstarter for this, who would fund it? I don’t have anything to entice people to pay? I’m just a kid with a dream.
So I guess I want someone to help me make this dream a reality. But who would do such a thing?

I’m confused what you’re getting at here, friend. Are you asking for people to help you make your game, and join a team with you to make it? Or are you asking for help with learning to understand how to use SRPG Studio?

If I’m asking for anything it would be for a team… I don’t think I’ll get one though. I actually first put this under uncategorized because I was kinda just venting. But low key I would be exstatic if I had a group of friends that would help me.

My answer sort of depends on what kind of help you’re asking for. Apologies if this comes off as rude in any way.

You need help learning SRPG Studio.
I don’t really know how to use SRPG Studio, and I don’t know any tutorials, but I’m sure they’re out there somewhere. It always takes effort to learn a game engine, and some of that also comes from messing around in the engine. My recommendation would be to make a smaller project first, to learn how to use SRPG Studio, before making something much bigger. Be patient, and take things one step at a time.

You need help with some aspect of your game besides creating it. (music, art, etc.)
Your best bet for getting a group of people to help you make something is to make something. I know, it’s a weird fact of life. It doesn’t have to be your most polished work, only a first draft or a prototype complete enough to convince people that your project is worth working on. You have to have a product in order to sell people it.

You need help getting people to believe in your project.
I will be honest, I don’t really know who you are. I don’t mean that in a rude way, and maybe it’s just me who doesn’t know you, but people who put themselves out and participate in a community are more likely to make friends in said community. Maybe you’re already making an effort to be active? If you are, keep doing it. Either way, interaction breeds friendship.

You need help believing in yourself.
Making stuff is hard. It can mess with your emotions, make you think that you’re not good enough. You don’t seem convinced your project is good enough based on what you say in your post. Be kind to yourself. If you’re stressed, take a break. SRPG Studio will be here for when you come back. We’ve got your back, and while we can’t make your project for you, we can definitely help you make it. <3

7 Likes

The best way to collaborate on a project with others is to join an existing project.

Creative endeavours such as music or writing are definitely worth pursuing.

While binging something on occasion is fine, I would recommend diversifying such that you don’t put all your eggs in one basket and burn out when you hit a road block. If you dedicate yourself only to making this game, it will make you hate it very quickly and want to quit. We need multiple past-times :slightly_smiling_face:

Making me feel real old here. But you should find some school activities that you like. You might enjoy a chess club (the original SRPG!), debate club (writing + arguing), anime club, a music one, or a sports one, for example. Extra-curriculars are cancelled during covid I’m guessing, but they may meet online and now’s a great time to get into new activities.

Personally I’m a musician/teacher myself, but I am really glad I forced myself to try new experiences, even the ones I didn’t like. I lasted all of 2 weeks in the origami club in my undergrad. I’m really bad at arts 'n crafts so I had the brilliant idea to become a more well-rounded person. I took 50% or so longer than the next slowest person to finish my origami. Hahaha, no origami for me :pensive:

Just remember to maintain balance in your life. Even if you released a fangame you’d still have to figure out the rest of your life, including school and working some crappy jobs at some points.

4 Likes

If you need help learning SRPG Studio, then I strongly recommend joining SRPG Studio University on Discord. It’s probably the best community around for the engine.

2 Likes