Trouble with Skill System: Former trainee not learning class skills from level up

I apologize if this has been asked and answered. I found similar problems (https://feuniverse.us/t/skill-systems-bug/8567) but not exactly what I need.

I’m modifying a vanilla rom of fe8 to have some new skills. Specifically, I gave all the unpromoted trainee classes a class skill of paragon. I made Ross learn a personal skill of aptitude at level 10 (right before he autopromotes). This all works great. Separately, I set the fighter class to learn axefaire at level 10. The problem is that after promoting Ross from a journeyman to a fighter he does not learn axefaire like he’s supposed to. Garcia learns it just fine, but Ross does not. Could some please explain why and help me fix it? Thank you.

Ross (UnitID: 0x07) does not learn Axefaire (SkillID: 0x15) as a level 10 fighter (ClassID: 0x3F) after autopromoting from his standard trainee journeyman class (ClassID: 0x3D).

Please let me know if you need any more information about the problem to help. Thank you.

UPDATE
TLDR: Setting the fighter to a promoted class fixes the problem but I don’t want to use this as a solution because fighters shouldn’t count as promoted.

I had a hunch it had something to do with the promotion so I tried making the fighter class count as a promoted class and it worked. Ross began learning the new skills at the correct levels as expected. Does anyone know why making this change worked? Also, I’d prefer not to make the pre-promoted classes that trainees promote into count as promoted (unless there was another way I could differentiate between pre-promoted and promoted especially with regards to experience gain), so I’m still looking for a better solution. I don’t really understand how this stuff works so any help is welcome. Thank you.

1 Like

Can you attach a report7z on drive/dropbox etc. so we can reproduce and address the bug please

Sorry, had to look up how to do it.

(https://drive.google.com/file/d/153XJZ1elz_yuQ9FAV1noB9xx9xwdzxGI/view?usp=sharing)

Is that good? Let me know if you need anything else. I really appreciate your help. I’m super new to this but eager to learn so any explanations on how this all works are much appreciated. Thanks again.

2 Likes

I set the fighter class to learn axefaire at level 10. The problem is that after promoting Ross from a journeyman to a fighter he does not learn axefaire like he’s supposed to. Garcia learns it just fine, but Ross does not. Could some please explain why and help me fix it? Thank you.

Ross (UnitID: 0x07) does not learn Axefaire (SkillID: 0x15) as a level 10 fighter (ClassID: 0x3F) after autopromoting from his standard trainee journeyman class (ClassID: 0x3D).

Please let me know if you need any more information about the problem to help. Thank you.

UPDATE
Setting the fighter to a promoted class fixes the problem but I don’t want to use this as a solution because fighters shouldn’t count as promoted.

I think this is a bug in SkillSystems.
The problem is with Ross’s unit skills.
He is supposed to learn SkillID D9 aptitude at lvl 10.
This is the data that is causing the bug.

If he gets SkillID D9 aptitude at lvl 9 instead of lvl 10, then there is no problem at all.
It is precisely because he gets SkillID D9 aptitude at Lv10 that it is a problem.

Since he was Promoted from Trainee, he is once at Lv10 and has already acquired D9 aptitude.
This time, he was in that state and became Lv10 again.

At this time, SkillSystems tries to make him learn SkillID D9 aptitude again because he is now Lv10.
However, since SkillID D9 aptitude is already learned, it exits with an error.

SkillSysytems is aware that there are two skills to be learned at lvl 10.
The SkillID D9 aptitude for the Unit skill and the Class skill SkillID 0x28 Axefaire for the 3F Fighther.

It is written in my work memory that I have to learn those two skills.
It will have the values D9 and 28 written.

The problem lies beyond that.
We are trying to learn the Skills D9 aptitude and 28 Axefaire, but first we call SkillAdder to learn D9.
The SkillAdder function returns an error because D9 aptitude is already learned at Lv10 during the Trainee era.
Then the calling function “ends with an error”.
He haven’t even had 28 Axefaire memorized yet.

Thus, Ross cannot learn 28 Axefaire.
I think this is a SkillSystems bug.

The current solution, as I mentioned before, is to change SkillID D9 aptitude to learn it at Lv9 instead of Lv10.
That will solve everything.
In the meantime, let’s report the bug.

1 Like