The Shtickery

Hey folks, I figured I should put things I make in my own thread, possibly for organizational things, such as ASM/Eventing things and graphical endeavors. But for now, I figured I should open with this.

ASM

DSFE STYLE AVOID
First off, huge thanks to Sme for helping me out with making this work.

In vanilla FE8, Avoid is calculated by 2(AS[Attack Speed])+Luck. By default, Eirika with a Rapier has 9 AS and 5 luck. So if you input the numbers into the equation, you get 2(9)+5=18+5=23. As you can see, Eirika has 23 avoid.
Vanilla%20Avoid
In the DSFE games, the formula is only a measly AS + (Luck/2(rounded down)), which makes dodgetanking in those games largely unreliable, if not impossible. Because FE8 has an exponent function for calculating speed’s contribution to avoid, and the base value is 2, I can set the exponent’s value to 0 so the game reads that as 2^0=1, meaning that the raw AS value is used instead of its inflated value. Now, with the new formula, Eirika’s avoid is now 9+(5/2, rounded down)=9+2=11
DSFE%20avoid

How to kill dodgetanking

Here’s the link to the event file. Just use EA to put the code into the ROM and everything should be fine and dandy. Just make sure that the .dmp is in the same place as the event file.

Graphics

Male Swordmaster Alt

15 Likes

I just wanted to let y’all know that I was able to make actual DSFE avoid so I replaced the old link with the new one, thanks to Sme’s help. For reference, DSFE’s avoid is
AS+(Luck/2).

4 Likes

Nice! I’ve always hated how broken Avoid is in the GBAFE games. Thank you for making this patch :smiley:

1 Like

this patch is very very useful. Thanks!

1 Like

Is there anyway you can provide the source ASM for this?

1 Like

Do you mean like the actual coding? Or how I edited the routine?

I guess either would work. If you didn’t create separate code to make it, that’s fine.

Also, I think there is a typo in the event file and the closing parenthesis is missing for when the .dmp file is loaded.

All I did was take the formula used in the game, and edited out the part where speed is multiplied by 2 and I put in a part which divided luck by 2.

Also, I tried out the event just now and it works just fine.

1 Like

Male Swordmaster Alt
I was never a fan of why the male swordmaster had such long hair, then again, I always liked having shorter hair. Even so, I did like the robes that vanilla had and I felt like making a short hair version. The end result is this animation that sees the swordmaster get a haircut.
Sword
Here’s the link to the animation package, it should have all the assets relevant to what you need.

2 Likes
The Ultimate Graphics Repository for GBAFE, FEXP, and FEXNA