The Flame of Tomorrow (Dead)

Havn’t played yet, I forgot to. Will try tommorow, but if ya need balancing help Im down, I like to think I’m decent at it. I’ll play what exist and give my thoughts.

Ok I’m making this a new post so you hopefully see it better:

First thoughts on the units atm: https://imgur.com/a/Eb4ud

Warning: Contains growths and Spoliers for units.

Ok so besides that(Note I played on Normal, since I assume that’s the intended difficulty):
-Enemy units feel a bit too strong imo, but only just. I’d lower their stats a tiny bit. I mainly say this, because there were a lot of times enemies had 55+ hit on me, and I had to hope and pray I didn’t die. They kinda swarm you, and not all of your units can effectively handle em(looking at you Quinn). Which actually leads to my next complaint/thought.
-Reinforcements appear out of nowhere or in places that imo don’t make sense. I know for the first thought, you are putting in dialogue for that, so that’s good. But you better have some good explanations for some of these, because in chapter 1, I moved towards the boss, and suddenly a merc appeared on the road behind me(not like on the edge of the map or a fort, just suddenly in the middle of the map. Also I feel there are TOO many reinforcements for these first 2 chapters. Chapter 2, I get, you are trying to encourage the player to move forward and kill the boss instead of turtling, but even there I feel there’s a bit much(particularly the wyverns that spawn). Also chapter 1, I already mentioned the magic appearing Merc, but I need context, because there’s like 3 groups of reinforcements(2 of which are actually pretty difficult) , which seems high for chapter 1.
-Chapter 1 boss is imo, a bit too powerful. Quinn had 16 hp, and the boss one shot him, imo a boss(at least for chapter 1) shouldn’t be able to hit that benchmark. But I could probably just blame it on Quinn sucking. Speaking of…
-Quinn sucks too much compared to EVERYONE else. Sanders is average but good, Ackard is great, Axe guy also great, heck even Themis who is pretty slow is better. Like I say in my unit reviews, he has speed but that’s it, and sadly speed is not enough to make a character good. I’m sure if the game went on longer, he might be better, since he has solid growths, but right now, he’s just so much worse than everyone else.
-Not enough to make Sanders unique. If you wanted a generic FE lord(granted I dunno the writing yet), you got it right. But I know for some, they will be disappointed to have a lord who basically is the same as every other lord in the series(ie, uses a rapier as prf, average stats, etc etc)
-Archers might be a bit too powerful. I like archers, so seeing them this buff is great imo, but I do think they might be a tad bit too powerful. Maybe reduce the range of all bows by 1(yes I know that means iron is back to 1-2, but that’s fine in my opinion), see how that helps? Because right now, between decent stats, insane range, and the fact they can attack at 1 range, they are really really insane.
-The village in Chapter 2 gets destroyed after you visit it, is that correct? It doesn’t seem like it, but then again I don’t know dialogue. I personally had to restart since I visited it with Sander(who had 6 hp), and then the village blocking the merc disappeared and the merc came and killed him. Second time, I used Ackard and killed the merc first, but I feel its a bit of an unfair trap if you don’t think the village will get destroyed(Which no average FE player would, you gotta think about that). But maybe it will be more expected when dialogue is added.

• Last one for now, Chapter 1 encourages a lot of turtling, which I feel is the opposite of what might be intended, but I may be wrong.

Then minor stuff, like you can prevent the Chapter 1 reinforcements from spawning, but that’s FE for ya.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

• Enemies are intended to be tough but I can weaken them a bit seeing as how this has come up multiple times.
  • There will be dialogue to let the player know about the reinforcements ahead of time.
  • Keith (ch1 boss) is intended to be fought by Themis. He becomes less threatening when you fight him out of the forest. I may lower his stats.
  • Quinn has always been useful for me, especially since he can double some stuff while everyone else (unless Sanders gets lucky) can’t.
  • Bows will be made more heavy and less accurate in the future to more accurately represent Gaiden.
  • No, this is a bug. I will fix the village in the next patch (along with a camera glitch.)
  • Chapter 1 is intended to be able to be taken at a slow pace. I’ll see if I can do something to encourage more offensive play as well.
  • The reinforcement blocking is just me being lazy and will get fixed.

I’ll admit Quinn might be more a preference thing, but for me he couldn’t kill, but he could weaken. He had use I just felt the rest were better by a sizeable margin.

Doubling is nice, but if you can’t back it up with power it’s not as useful. I’m sure as the game gets longer, he’ll be better, but he only has two chapters and underdelivers in both imo.

Also I don’t think you should ever assume the player will fight a certain boss with a certain charecter(Unless it’s a 1v1, or you make it 1000% obvious), just because, 90% of the time they will just use who they want to. Themus takes him out easily yes, but does that mean all players will do so? No.

That being said YOU can make other units BETTER to use for certain bosses, but make sure they aren’t the only option(unless the previous reasons apply, or theres a story reason why only unit X is.)

Remind me, were any of the olde concepts from here gonna be used in the sekret thing we have now?

not sekrit anymore

I was keeping some characters and story elements, nothing gameplay wise. It might be better to nuke this thread and make a new one in the future when I have anything worth showing.

4 Likes